If u had 35k to spend on a car what would u get?

Well, that suprised me. I suppose i can now say the M3 is better then the S4 in the wet as well.

I am thinking the audi s4 might be a bit of a bargin.. v8 muscle means that the motor will eat up miles.. boxster yes for a blast, but m3's a nob heads car, and s4 is by far more pratical - its got four doors!

Check second hand prices. Low mileage s4s going for <34k.. you'd be lucky to get a 40k mileage m3 for that price... Plus they've probably been hammered..

Got me thinking real hard.. Bit of a remap and exhaust.. porsche brakes & firmer arbs..

I read the autocar piece and almost posted on here about it that week. Thought I'd kept it, but obviously it was binned /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

IMHO that test is hardly conclusive. Reading between the lines they were't driving the cars the same, though maybe I'm being biased. It's interesting that the stig on the top gear test track was faster in the S4.

£35K. Well, if I could run it then it would probably need to be a 911 of some kind or S4 depending on what else I was running. Baaaaaa!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Lees3 said:
I agree - lets just hope the new s3 can fill the gap? Or maybe the BMW M1?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, I doubt it.

I just don't see an 'S' or 'RS' version of the current A3 being driver focussed enough to get close to the likes of the M3.

As for the proposed M1...interesting proposition...but those looks! Phew...it stinks!

[ QUOTE ]
Mark R said:
£35K. Well, if I could run it then it would probably need to be a 911 of some kind or S4 depending on what else I was running. Baaaaaa!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree Mark...assuming I had some form of everyday transport to do the shopping / IKEA run in, I too would look closely at a 911...there really is nothing out there to touch it for pure driving pleasure.

Plus, if you lay your hands on a C4 or C4S you can partake of all sorts of tomfoolery without fear of reversing it off the road, through the nearest hedge!

I read some while back porsche will be doing entry level boxster coupes. Ownership starting at around low £20k. The boxster s coupe being closer to £40k. Hopefully there'll be something tasty in between entry and flagship...

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
[ QUOTE ]
StephV6 said:
For 35k, you can have the brand new merc SLK350.
V6 3.5l; 0-62 in 5.6s; 272bhp and 350Nm from 2400rpm
from what I've read they've improved the handling and it such a good looking car! And it has a folding hardtop as well

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed you can...but you'd have to go easy on the optional extras!

I heard you get a free set of cripmers in the glovebox too!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif well if it's free then...
Don't you like that car?
Never driven one but I like what I've seen of it and I would not buy it for what others would think anyway

No, I'll admit I've not driven one...and have no intention of it. Sad, I know...
But the image is just a little too:
Mid life crisis / hairdressor / pipe and slippers for me.

I just couldn't....what if someone saw me?

I'd also be frightened that I liked it...and that would never do!

Ess_Three would look frankly ridiculous in the new SLK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:The GT3 is one of the worlds finest cars...a car made to go from point A to point B as fast as humanly possible delivering a driving experiernce few can match.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, can't agree with that. In the minds of many owners and reviewers the GT3 sits in a middle ground of compromise. It's too soft for the track, and too hard for the road. Perhaps the 996C4S would better fit the bill, or the Turbo?

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
Hmm, can't agree with that. In the minds of many owners and reviewers the GT3 sits in a middle ground of compromise. It's too soft for the track, and too hard for the road. Perhaps the 996C4S would better fit the bill, or the Turbo?

[/ QUOTE ]

I note your disagreement...
But I still maintain that in the right conditions (no snow, ice or standing water) a GT3 provides driving thrills of the highest order.
Indeed it may not be a perfect track car, nor a perfect road car...but a damn sight better than most...and that engine note is to die for!

I agree that a C4S would be the better all year round prospect, being softer for the road, but less perfect for the track...probably a better road only car.

But, the right driver, with the right skills on the right roads...the GT3 would only be toppled by one or two cars for the driving experience. One of them being the factory fettled 'RS' version.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that the sound of the GT3 is too die for!!!! Man it's a powerfull engine... I don't deny it! Tell me something though: isn't it 380bhp? What are the figures 0-60mph?

Why don't you check it this site... I practically did everything this guy did! http://www.audiworld.com/news/04/rs4sedan/content.shtml

Then can you tell me if I'm defying the laws of physics!!!!

G

[ QUOTE ]
RastaS4 said:
I agree that the sound of the GT3 is too die for!!!! Man it's a powerfull engine... I don't deny it! Tell me something though: isn't it 380bhp? What are the figures 0-60mph?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone is arguing about straight line performance...
Is the 0-60 the only thing important?

[ QUOTE ]

Then can you tell me if I'm defying the laws of physics!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

This comment was relating to the ability to turn the chassis of an ill handling famils saloon into a near supercar killing chassis capable of outwitting a GT3 in the twisties.

For normal mortals, on real roads...I think not. No matter how good it is...

Sometimes people look beyond peak horsepower figures, 0-60 times and standing quarter times.

[ QUOTE ]
Leddy said:
Don't you have the same image issue with the Boxster though? on top of its hairdressing/mid life crisis credentials, its also seen as a "poor mans" Porsche.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
The Boxter is a fine car...an absolute joy to drive, and a proper drivers car.

I'm not a fan of the styling...and for me, it would not get my vote over an older 911 for purely practical reasons - I don't like soft-tops!

The Boxter may be seen as a softer Porsche when compared to a 911..but when compared to most other cars of it's genre, it's the enthusiasts choice.
Being completely honest, I think it's easier to drive a Boxter quickly than it is a 911!

My own personal view is that it's for people who can't afford / won't justify a 911...although after spending a lot more time in the company of Boxter owners of late...I am starting to see their point of view. I'll never tell them that though.

Regardless, I still couldn't bring myself to consider the SLK as a genuine opponent to the Boxter...the SLK IS a hairdressers car! I don't want some silly folding roof...

I don't see the Boxter as a mid-life crisis car, or a hairdressers car...

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
Indeed...

And at the end of the day...you can't get either your S4 or a GT3 for 35K!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanna bet?
I got my car with the stage 3 mods, 5.5k miles and 6 months old for £35k. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

It was bought privately from a friend (who bought the S4 cab).

This is an interesting thread that only proves one thing. There's no such thing as the best car. Every car is a compromise and you choose a car that suits you.

I've just done 2800 miles in mine around Europe and spent most of it in the mountains or on autobahns or on the Nurburgring. It handled all of them supremely well. I'm sure some cars (of the same value or cheaper) lapped the ring quicker and were more fun. I'm sure some cars can float down the autobahn more comfortably. I'm sure some are entertaining in the Alps but the S4 (for me) is a great combination. I see all these threads about handling and comfort and using all these cars abilities and most people never get near 75% of theirs cars limits but I suppose it makes for good forum talk and for when you're down the pub.

I thought my car was stealthy but so many people complemented me on it including the UK customs guy on the way back. He even liked the Brilliant Red colour. The German tourist of top of the Stelvio pass who watched me come up it, after hearing us coming at the bottom, seemed to really like it. The feeling you get in the mountains and tunnels from the noise is a great feel good factor.

It managed to chase a 911 turbo down a mountain, close enough that after 10 mins he let me go through. It managed to keep close enough on the autobahn not to embarass it's self when another 911 turbo booted it. Admittedly I changed down to 5th at 140mph ready for him to floor it and he probably just squeezed the throttle but so what. It felt good.

After all the fun we came back in plush comfortable supportive seats and have loads of room for duty free.

The S4 can hold it's head up proudly in many comparisons and can do so in all weathers. The M3's I see in the rain/snow/on fallen leaves etc all are driven much slower but if they only want to 'make progress' in good weather then fair enough.

I made my choice based on my requirements. It doesn't mean the S4's the best car in the world. It just means that it's the best car in the world at meeting my current requirements.

Each to their own. It'd be boring if we all had the same car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
scoTTy said:
[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
Indeed...

And at the end of the day...you can't get either your S4 or a GT3 for 35K!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an interesting thread that only proves one thing. There's no such thing as the best car. Every car is a compromise and you choose a car that suits you.

I've just done 2800 miles in mine around Europe and spent most of it in the mountains or on autobahns or on the Nurburgring. It handled all of them supremely well. I'm sure some cars (of the same value or cheaper) lapped the ring quicker and were more fun. I'm sure some cars can float down the autobahn more comfortably. I'm sure some are entertaining in the Alps but the S4 (for me) is a great combination. I see all these threads about handling and comfort and using all these cars abilities and most people never get near 75% of theirs cars limits but I suppose it makes for good forum talk and for when you're down the pub.

I thought my car was stealthy but so many people complemented me on it including the UK customs guy on the way back. He even liked the Brilliant Red colour. The German tourist of top of the Stelvio pass who watched me come up it, after hearing us coming at the bottom, seemed to really like it. The feeling you get in the mountains and tunnels from the noise is a great feel good factor.

It managed to chase a 911 turbo down a mountain, close enough that after 10 mins he let me go through. It managed to keep close enough on the autobahn not to embarass it's self when another 911 turbo booted it. Admittedly I changed down to 5th at 140mph ready for him to floor it and he probably just squeezed the throttle but so what. It felt good.

After all the fun we came back in plush comfortable supportive seats and have loads of room for duty free.

The S4 can hold it's head up proudly in many comparisons and can do so in all weathers. The M3's I see in the rain/snow/on fallen leaves etc all are driven much slower but if they only want to 'make progress' in good weather then fair enough.

I made my choice based on my requirements. It doesn't mean the S4's the best car in the world. It just means that it's the best car in the world at meeting my current requirements.

Each to their own. It'd be boring if we all had the same car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Scotty my man, I totally agree... Each person has his own requirements and satisfactions!! Doesn't it feel wonderfull that your S4 can keep up with a Porsche Turbo?

We haven't heard anything from Pure (the instigator of this thread)!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
G

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
[ QUOTE ]
Leddy said:
Don't you have the same image issue with the Boxster though? on top of its hairdressing/mid life crisis credentials, its also seen as a "poor mans" Porsche.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
The Boxter is a fine car...an absolute joy to drive, and a proper drivers car.

The Boxter may be seen as a softer Porsche when compared to a 911..but when compared to most other cars of it's genre, it's the enthusiasts choice.

Regardless, I still couldn't bring myself to consider the SLK as a genuine opponent to the Boxter...the SLK IS a hairdressers car! I don't want some silly folding roof...

I don't see the Boxter as a mid-life crisis car, or a hairdressers car...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have to agree with you on that! The boxter is a beautiful car, amazing handling and just enough power to make it fun to drive! IMO, the boxter is not an everyday car, it's a fun car for weekends.

Furthermore, the SLK has always been IMO, A GIRLY CAR... even with all that AMG power and all... it's styling is girlish!

G

well I actually think it looks on par with the porsche in terms of "girly image"

[ QUOTE ]
StephV6 said:
well I actually think it looks on par with the porsche in terms of "girly image"

[/ QUOTE ]

it's just my opinion! And as I said... I don't like where porsche are taking there styling!!!

G

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
They do tend to be driven by people who place the driving experience well below the look of the car. That's a fact

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a bold statement but it doesn't matter as I don't really care. as said above I would not buy (or not) any car for its image but for the feeling I have when driving it

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
As you said, opinions are opinions...but for thousands to have the same opinion, somethings must tie up, eh?
No smoke without fire...and all that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
If a car is THAT good...I'll consider it, if it fits the brief I have at the time.
Even the new SLK.
But, I have no desire for a folding roof convertible with only two seats - much to the annoyance of my other half!...so there'll not be an SKL appearing in my garage.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fair enough

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
You should try one if you want to know what a no-compromise sports car feels like to drive.
I admire Porsche....as a company. I admire the ethos and the engineering it takes to produce selfish cars for selfish people - people who want all the fun to be driver focussed.
I admire the ****** mindedness of a company that should have given up with the 911 layout 30 years ago, but instead seem to defy the laws of physics and turn it into one of the most satisfying cars out there to drive.

[/ QUOTE ]
I also am very impressed with that achievement eventhough I would not admire the company for that. Respect is a better word

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
That's a fair - if somewhat uneducated view - in my book.

[/ QUOTE ]
definitely uneducated you're right

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
I guess the duifference between say, a Boxter and an SLK comes down to this:

Both owners admire the engineering.
One group, the engineering of the clever roof, the other the engineering of the chassis / engine.

Both groups are most probably badge snobs...
One group for the prestige of the 3 pointed star, the other for the uncompromising ethos of the company / it's racing heritage.

One group want to look 'good' posing down the Kings road heading to the nearest Winebar / Salon

The other wants to have the most enjoyable drive of thier life, down their favourate back road....and care not a jot about the looks!

[/ QUOTE ]
Just need to say merc do and did race

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
I know where I sit in this one...what about you?

[/ QUOTE ]

well i am very good looking, young, athletic, known worldwide in the female contingent for the size of my d*ck. Well that would put me in the feminine SLK
However I am no hairdresser but I design mechanical systems (a folding roof could be one of them as much as engine parts)
Seriously, I dont give a damn about the image so my choice would go in favour of the one I like when test driving it

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
[ QUOTE ]
RastaS4 said:
And as I said... I don't like where porsche are taking there styling!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Me neither...
although I think I know where they are taking it from:
The windtunnel.
Retro.

A bit sad really...but then again, a Porsche has always been more about the driving experience than looking at it.
If you want a good looking car rather than a great drivers car...there are plenty out there to choose from...the Porsche has aways put the drive first...with most other things a semi-distant second.
...and for that I say, fair play!

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally true!!! Porsche is all about the driving experience! But, if you look at it differently..I mean, at it's style, the 993 had a more aggressive look to it! Although the 996 Gt2, GT3 and turbo are beautiful... I'm just saying that porsche is not the porsche we use to know!

And about that statement between porsche and mercs... they are too different!!! It's like comparing Apples to Oranges! Although the SL55 AMG could be compared to any ultimate "supercar" and the SLR is in the same class as ENZO AND PORSCHE GT! But still, you can't compare a SLK to a boxter, nor can you compare CLK to a 996....

What I really like about Porsche is their reliability as sports car! The only thing is that in the years before the 996, porsche parts were soooooooooooooo expensive.

But again, let's put mercs & porsches aside... IMO, if I wanted to purchase an "ALL AROUND" car, then I would choose the RS4! It's a beautiful car, it's powerful, it's ideal for a small family (since it's considered a station wagon) and I think that it's a reliable engine!

G

[ QUOTE ]
RastaS4 said:
But, if you look at it differently..I mean, at it's style, the 993 had a more aggressive look to it! Although the 996 Gt2, GT3 and turbo are beautiful... I'm just saying that porsche is not the porsche we use to know!

[/ QUOTE ]

So true...
The 993 has the classic curves...but that interior? It's a dog's dinner!
Again, an example of the driving experience being placed first. Who needs to know where the rear window de-mister or electric window switches are anyway?

I find the standard 996 purposeful, but not beautiful...the Turbo body looks great but is spoiled by the air intakes in the quarters...the C4S is a better 'looking' car in my view.

I'm also not a huge fan of the 996 'thin' body...it's just a shade too bland.
In GT3 spec there is no doubting the car..and with the fixed rear aerofoil it adds dramatic effect, but the shape in general is not a patch on the 993 'thin' body.

[ QUOTE ]

And about that statement between porsche and mercs... they are too different!!! It's like comparing Apples to Oranges! Although the SL55 AMG could be compared to any ultimate "supercar" and the SLR is in the same class as ENZO AND PORSCHE GT! But still, you can't compare a SLK to a boxter, nor can you compare CLK to a 996....

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. Different products for different prospective customers.

[ QUOTE ]

But again, let's put mercs & porsches aside... IMO, if I wanted to purchase an "ALL AROUND" car, then I would choose the RS4! It's a beautiful car, it's powerful, it's ideal for a small family (since it's considered a station wagon) and I think that it's a reliable engine!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to argue against the logic for everyday use.

The problems with the argument are the usual ones:
An RS4 will never handle / exite like a sportscar...and a sportscar will never be able to shift 4 people and their luggege at 160MPH, all year round, in all weathers.

It's all down to compromises...and what the main criteria is in the decision.

[ QUOTE ]
audi5e said:
Ferrari 308 / 328

[/ QUOTE ]

...35k purchase price, NOT annual maintainance fees...

Enough, for gawd's sake!!!!!

I like this one, you prefer that one, he hates them both, & she wants to meet StephV6 cos he's very good looking, young, athletic, known worldwide in the female contingent for the size of his d*ck.

Let's move on, shall we?