I think I might have and ea189 engine!

Gordon cunningham

Reaction score
i like everyone else have been watching closely about this engine cheat. I decided to look a bit more into it to see if I had one of the ea189 engines and it looks kinda like I do. I have a 2015 b8.5 Audi A4 avant black edition so I checked out the service manual that shows the engine type to be an CGLC engine in the service book. When I did a bit of reserch on this I found out that it's ( if I'm correct and)
2.0 R4 16v TDI CR 81-176kW. Engine and Has a wee snippet at the bottom saying

130 kilowatts (177 PS; 174 bhp) @ 4,200 rpm; 380 newton metres (280 lbf·ft) @ 1,750–2,500 rpm— CGLC Audi A4, Audi A5, Audi A6,

As I'm not officially panicking it would be much appreciated if any of you guys out there could spend five mins confirming I am correct as to be honest I'm not totally sure I am. I've attached a pic of my service book for your to have a look at.

Thanks in advance guys

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,243
I found this on Wikipedia:

So yes, your A4 is built with a AE189 motor (CGLC), just like my A6. But I'm not worried at all, it drives fantastic.

Greetz,
Marciemarc

Reactions: 45bvtc and ruairi83
What is good/bad about having an ea189 motor?

Reactions: skiptowncat
The only reason that anyone should care if they have a car with one of the affected engines is if they truly made a decision on purchase based on the stated emissions figures, believing that they were 'real world' figures. Lets face it, most of us were fooled by the LIE that diesel engines are better for the environment than petrol engines. It was all a con by the oil industry wanting to keep selling the thicker black stuff.

Mot guy at the Audi garage, " yeah another pass"

I

Reactions: Terminator x, jdp1962 and Bristle Hound
In all honesty the lying bit does not concern me too much but if, as I have read that it will reduce performance and increase fuel consumption of the engine then I will be quite annoyed.

My only concern is if they do recalls to fudge our cars to be withing 'legal emissions limits' as they currently is over the EU's legal limit.
I was looking at getting my dpf and egr "sorted" however if they possibly go to apply software on recall, to reduce engine performance in order to reduce the emissions within legal limits, any money paid for the above will be wasted and have to be done again.

Motor type: EA 189 / parts code prefix: 03L, ID codes: CAGA, CAGC, CAHA, CBEA, CBAB, CFFB, CBBB, CBDB, CBDC, CEGA, CFGB, CFCA, CJAA, CLJA

Just do not go to the recall, they can not force you.

Reactions: 45bvtc
I'm more bothered about how far this will go with the current investigations and how much damage it will do to diesel re sales

I am not bothered about emissions, I bought the car for the balance of power and economy. Couldn't care less about how many baby animals die when I put my foot down

Reactions: Fctaff
....and most people buy for the same reason as you. It's very unlikely that there is going to be a mass exodus from diesel cars, it has nothing to do with how much they will cost to run or their mpg figures, so most people wont care.

Why would diesels become devalued? Because they chuck out loads of rubbish? We've all known that for years, nothing new.

Reactions: mcfc1987
It only comes into effect during the test scenario.
The chances of you hitting the test scenario out on the road are slim, so I wouldn't worry about it.
It's the test industries fault for making the test easily detectable and thus allowing manufacturers to compensate.

I did a little bit of reading and the item they test for (nitrogen oxides) is not the same as that applied to the Road Fund Licence (carbon g/km) for Taxation purposes. So no-one can expect a retrospective bill or tax hike.
The taxation classes are changing again in 2017 (dropping all the cheap ones), but this will only be applied to new vehicles, if it is anything like previous changes.

With regard to the current issue, the latest claim is :
If you have a new vehicle with a EU 6 diesel engine, Volkswagen says you’re fine, these have been certified legally.

This also provided interesting reading on what they are measuring for, how it impacts the design and what models are now compliant :

EU6 Regulations : http://www.dieselcarmagazine.co.uk/features/euro-6-understanding-the-new-regulations/

Audi vehicles badged as 'Ultra' are compliant.
I know that my TDi 190 uses AdBlue, so maybe that is the key to knowing if you are effected or not. I am not sure if the lower PS or earlier models use AdBlue.

Just do not go to the recall, they can not force you.

Lets hope so, thing is it isnt like a faulty part recall though which you can ignore, it is a case of the cars are illegal technically, so providing this does not become a mandatory recall given the legal aspect, happy days.
There would be some very unhappy customers if their cars performance are turned down to comply, and very happy mapping companies enjoying the aftermath. But I dont see how it can legally policed/rolled out so you could be right :)

Mine is also ea89
And the local registration facility here says that the importer of Audi will be in contact about the the "fixing" of the engine.
I will definately skip that since it would mess up the remap, and EGR delete, and in near future DPF delete.
And funny also, if they really will contact me since my car was bought from Germany. With previous Audis I have imported from Germany the local Audi importer did not have any clue of. Only knowledge that those should have been in Germany.

They won't tune down the performance to comply, that's even worse for VAG as the consumer will definitely be getting something less than was advertised. It'll lead to more lawsuits, compensation and car returns.

They'll just remove the dodgy software and face the face that they will be producing higher NOx emissions during testing. As this has no impact on the customer (unless you bought the car to save the planet, in which case why did you buy a car....and a DIESEL!).

It's very unlikely that, even with the software removed, diesels are all of a sudden going to fail MOTs.

I have the same issue, checked my service manual and engine code states CGLC. Does this mean an EA189 engine? I have an A6 2.0tdi, 2015.

I have the CJCB code. Anyone know if this engine is affected?

I got confirmation from my Audi dealer that my 2.0tdi with the CGLC engine is one of the offending engines so I would guess yours is also andylad

The only reason that anyone should care if they have a car with one of the affected engines is if they truly made a decision on purchase based on the stated emissions figures, believing that they were 'real world' figures. Lets face it, most of us were fooled by the LIE that diesel engines are better for the environment than petrol engines. It was all a con by the oil industry wanting to keep selling the thicker black stuff.

Lower in CO2 perhaps but they were never better for the environment, surely everyone knows that diesel motors pollute like nothing else. Not to worry though as those low CO2 levels help to keep the planet cool ;)

TX.

Trees and wood, trees and wood: the environmentalists and journalists have totally lost sight of the diesel powered buses, trucks, taxis, vans, agricultural and/or construction equipment, boats and ships, etc.

The fault lies with the legislators imposing 'limits' before the technology has been developed and that from someone who had to deal with European Emissions Standards 91/441 /EEC back in 1996 and where sooo many manufacturers were given dispensation 'cos those limits could not be achieved... :sadlike:

Last edited:
everybody panic! the world is going to end!

tbf it's only a software update which will be done automatically when a dealer services the car so its not any different to any other software change or "safety campaign".

everyone is getting worked up over nothing tbh.

i thought this forum was audi-sport, not greenpeace lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 45bvtc