I just can't get used to the handbrake!

Ruthus_1

Reaction score
Hello

I really love my new A3 but I really can not get used to the handbrake! My main problems come when I'm parked down hill and having to push the brake pedal to take it off meaning I can't get my byte to reverse backwards!
Does anyone have any pointers for me?

Provided your seatbelt is on, and the drivers door is shut then the handbrake should automatically release without the need to push the foot break first.

Try this: with the handbrake on put it in reverse, lift the clutch and apply enough acceleration in order to start moving the car back up the hill. You should find the handbrake releases automatically at the point at which the car starts to move.

Also the level of revs needed to initially move the car has 3 settings iirc, and can be adjusted with VCDS. so if you feel like your slipping the clutch a lot before the brake releases you can soften the 'hold' with vcds.

My car seems to tell be to press the brake pedal even when I have my seat belt on and doors closed! Suppose only had it 2 weeks and will just take some getting used to!
Thanks for your advice!

VCDS is a tool used with pc software to change a whole number of settings and features within your car ecu's. Also a host of other things including service resets, fault codes scanning, live data reading, and retrofitting. I remember playing around with a hire car as the handbrake seemed to hold on, and i changed the setting so just a minimal attempt to move allowed the brake to release. If your not sure see if there is somebody local with a similar system to have a look for you?

My car seems to tell be to press the brake pedal even when I have my seat belt on and doors closed! Suppose only had it 2 weeks and will just take some getting used to!
Thanks for your advice!

Once you have got used to the electric hand brake, it's really great! I had it on my A4 Avant and now on my A3. I occasionally drive my wife's car, a Volvo C30 and, initially, I usually forget to take the normal handbrake off before moving forward! A bit embarrassing at traffic lights!

As has been mentioned, you need your seat belt on (and drivers door closed!) for the handbrake to work automatically.

Do you have Audi hill hold assist? This means I do not have to apply or release the handbrake at all! All automatic!

Do you have Audi hill hold assist? This means I do not have to apply or release the handbrake at all! All automatic!
Isn't this just the same without it as the handbrake will release automatically when you move?

No hill hold assist! Think I will just have to do some messing about to alter/get used to it!

Thanks again for all the advice!

Isn't this just the same without it as the handbrake will release automatically when you move?

With hill hold assist, there is no need to apply the brake yourself as it automatically comes on when stopped. Release is automatic as with brake without hill hold assist.

With hill hold assist, there is no need to apply the brake yourself as it automatically comes on when stopped. Release is automatic as with brake without hill hold assist.
So does that mean when you come to a stop, the handbrake is applied automatically as well as releasing?

It actually keeps the foot brakes held on without you having to hold the pedal down, but the effect is the same (other than the fact that your brake lights stay on). I think if you turn the engine off while hill hold assist is active the handbrake then comes on anyway.

It actually keeps the foot brakes held on without you having to hold the pedal down, but the effect is the same (other than the fact that your brake lights stay on). I think if you turn the engine off while hill hold assist is active the handbrake then comes on anyway.

That's correct!

Loving HHAssist.

Firm press of brake pedal = HHA keeps foot brake on. Auto release at biting point

Turn engine off or remove seatbelt whilst stationary = handbrake applied.

Since turning it on I haven't touched either of the brake switches.

Thanks cemerson, I wasn't sure about this feature and if a needed it.

Hill hold assist i don't have but i find the car holds itself on a hill in traffic for say two seconds when release the foot brake. Not sure what the point of hha would be when it already does this?

Hill hold assist i don't have but i find the car holds itself on a hill in traffic for say two seconds when release the foot brake. Not sure what the point of hha would be when it already does this?
If that's the case, then that should be enough for me. Don't really travel up/down hills.

Viperfire, can I ask what VED band (tax disc) is your car?

It holds automatically with HHD indefiently untill you pull away, so if in traffic on a hill you wouldnt have to keep putting your foot on the brake after the car releases after 2/3 secs. just an over and above the standard set up, i dont have it, but have had it on other cars and you do come to like it :)

I love the electronic handbrake. Always forget myself when in a car with a mechanical one now.

I love the way it holds for a second or two on a hill start.

I love the electronic handbrake. Always forget myself when in a car with a mechanical one now.

I love the way it holds for a second or two on a hill start.

Glad you like it. I test drove a golf mk7 which had the hill assist feature and I thought is was great. Have ordered it for my Audi, but have to wait till sept!

can the hill assist feature be fitted retrospectively, vcds?