How to remove brake pad warning symbol on dash?

-Keith-

Reaction score
As title, this warning has come up, but the front brakes (discs & pads) are nearly new and Ive just done the rear discs and pads.

I assume this must be down to one of either two reasons:
- Front wear sensor is damaged causing warning, as there is no wear sensor in the rear to trigger
- It is a mileage/time based warning that needs to be reset

The car does not have nav, this is a dash warning.

If anyone can shed any light on how to remove this warning I'd be grateful. If it can be reset, how? If this is a non-resettable warning triggered by a sensor, I guess I'll have to the front wheels off to check the front wear sensor for damage. If I have to do that, which side is it on, offside or near side?

Any help appreciated, thanks guys :)

Keith

It is a wear sensor. Some aftermarket pads don't have the wear sensor. On US spec models it is on the front drive side (left.) You can disable the warning by shorting the two wires together, you'll just have to monitor pad wear the old fashioned way. When I last changed my pads, the replacements did not have a wear sensor so I cut the pigtail off of the old pad and soldered the wires together. This keeps the harness intact so it will be usable should your next set of pads have a functional sensor.

Nearside I've read too, thanks.

If there is no time/mileage related warning it must be a physical trigger - i.e worn pad sensor. This is random though as the front discs and pads I did last year (circa 4k miles ago) and still look new, but the dash cluster light only came on last week.

I can only draw from this the pad sensor must have been damaged or perhaps water/dirt in the plug causing a break in the circuit. Thinking about it, the warning came on very shortky after a jetwash...

Thanks for the input, I'll whip the N/S front off for a good look.

Nearly every time I have an issue with a dodgy connection on these wear sensors, I did as above and soldered the wires on one of the plugs together to make a circuit

Nearly every time I have an issue with a dodgy connection on these wear sensors, I did as above and soldered the wires on one of the plugs together to make a circuit
Thanks for the input mate. It certainly seems the likely reason - I'm thinking although it may just be coincidence, the jetwashing could have perhaps caused dirt/water ingress to have caused open cicuit and thrown the warning up.

Just to update this, the pad sensor plugs had disconnected.

I remember now the plug looked damaged/cracked (as if a ham-fisted mechanic had trouble separating the two plugs and used force) when I did the front brakes last year. In the end, I did a front sensor delete (crimped and heatshrinked) as the plug was ruined.

I've always thought pad sensors pointless anyway, fitted simply to protect morons and the automotively-clueless who have no idea what they're looking at!

I've always thought pad sensors pointless anyway, fitted simply to protect morons and the automotively-clueless who have no idea what they're looking at!

Me then:thumbsup:

The comments made with a bit of tongue in cheek ;)
Me then:thumbsup:
You can't seriously tell me you'd be unable to tell (if you were to go and check) when a pad is getting low or a disc is badly lipped?Besides, brakes are checked annually at MOT, so even if you couldn't check yourself you'd be told then!