How much oil should my S3 8p burn?

Justin Parry

Reaction score
I've search for posts on here and can't find any oil burning threads so I'll ask the question....how much is too much?

I prob need to actually measure mileage per litre as I'm getting a bit worried.

Until I get some stats together, has anyone had the same issue?

2012 S3 8P1 40k miles dsg.
tried magnatech 30 and 40 no difference. 22 mpg.

Choose a decent 5W40 Racing Ester marketed oil like Millers Nanodrive NT+ and not that Castrol Magnatec poo, as a minimum , Castrol Edge .

First question is where is it going ? Might seem obvious but with the under tray its not always.
Is the car smoking ? you will not see it during the day but what happens if you floor it at night and check the headlights of following cars ?
My S3 started to drink oil, it went the first 50k miles and never used a drop then started to use oil, in the end it was doing a litre ever 1500 miles and you could see it smoking in the mirror at night.
Eventually i changed the stock DV for a DV+, apart from a real increase in performance , oil consumption has dropped to about a litre ever 3-4k miles and smoking has much improved although i doubt it will stop as there must be loads of oil in the system especially in the inlet pipe below where the DV pipe joins it at the back of the engine.

Previously been running castrol edge and go through about 4 liters over 10k usein a year, the tfsi engine is notorious for oil use.
Now on Millers nanodrive, seems to use a lot less oil so far.

Reactions: Justin Parry
First question is where is it going ? Might seem obvious but with the under tray its not always.
Is the car smoking ? you will not see it during the day but what happens if you floor it at night and check the headlights of following cars ?
My S3 started to drink oil, it went the first 50k miles and never used a drop then started to use oil, in the end it was doing a litre ever 1500 miles and you could see it smoking in the mirror at night.
Eventually i changed the stock DV for a DV+, apart from a real increase in performance , oil consumption has dropped to about a litre ever 3-4k miles and smoking has much improved although i doubt it will stop as there must be loads of oil in the system especially in the inlet pipe below where the DV pipe joins it at the back of the engine.

I did see smoke the other day in my wing mirror watching the car behind me disappear! I just put that down to short shifting to work n back all week. How come you came to DV+ decision?

Cheers guys. Looks like the first stop is nanodrive oil change. How many litres do I need for after a flush/ drain?

complete luck, i knew it was occasionally getting a rich on tickover fault code, i had done the charcoal filter and solenoid valve and the fuel pump in case that was leaking, decided to do the diverter and not only did it cure the engine fault light it suddenly stopped using oil as well. I pulled the original inlet hose off just past the MAF where it goes down into the engine and it was just dripping in oil so i figured it must have been coming via the diverter valve. It's not uncommon that these diverters fail so its a no brainer fitting a DV + anyway. Its just a problem with these closed circuit breather systems IMHO

Mine used to burn about a litre every 1,500 miles or so when I first purchased it. Since it's been run on VPower and Castrol Edge for a couple of years paired with an inlet clean I find myself checking it every 6 months (3k miles) and giving a small top up as necessary, no longer a concern of mine.

I've had my 61 plate 8P from new, I've got a complete log of all oil consumption and just checking the last 5 tops ups, it's used 0.2 litres per approx 700 miles. It's got Audi oil in it which I believe I am topping up with, Shell Helix Ultra Professional AVL 0w-30. They changed a year or so back from 5w to 0w for whatever reasons they had. TBH, the older a car gets, sometimes a slightly thicker oil from cold is better.
As drewbagz also said above, mine has always been run with Shell V-Power, in fact it's mapped to it, previously it was Shell Nitro+ I believe ?
1.56 litres over 2012,
1.1 over 2013
2.0 over 2014
2.5 over 2015
2.5 over 2016
2.4 over 2017
Hmm, interesting, big jump between 2013 and thereafter. Weird. lol
Please don't ask about petrol! I've got a 5 years spreadsheet for that as well! :D