How much is the B6 S4 V8 worth?

Steve_wushu

Reaction score
My S4 engine has 50k miles and only a starter motor. No other ancillaries.
Trying to get an idea from those in the know how much it's worth?

Thanks guys (UK £)

This is not an ad. This is for information only.

Have you changed the timing components and tested for cylinder wall scoring, etc?

I haven't changed any timing components. The chap I purchased it from says it runs well with no issues.
It didn't come out of my car. I bought it for a project but now want an B7 RS4 v8 instead.
It's in perfect working order. Just needs ancillaries.

Worth allot more with a starter motor, what are the odds of every person coming to view saying "well if it's just the starter motor why haven't you replaced it".

Most people buying a BBK engine would be doing so because of timing failure or cylinder issues so the price would have to be less than the cost of those jobs.

Putting in one of these engines used without timing component repairs and compression and leak down tests could be a massive financial mistake though. The cost of repairing the timing components effectively doubles if the engine is in the car (unless it's a DIY job) so it would be a mistake to install it and find you need to do the job a while later.

I had a quick look on eBay and they range from just over a grand to a couple of thousand. Nothing in a sold search, mind. The ones available have a six-month warranty but timing issues aren't necessarily going to show up in that timeframe, even though the component wear has been established.

On eBay I usually list for the top price I can expect with the 'make offer' feature.