How much have you spent?

N8

Kowalski Details
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Just adding up what I'm roughly gonna spend on mine, just wondering, how much have people spent on their A3/S3s?

Thanks

Nath

:icon_thumright:

I dont know and I dont think I want to know :S

Wheels and tyres - £1300
Sound System: Components - £320
Becker Headunit+ipod - £330
Genesis Amps - £600 second hand
Diamond D6 - £140 2nd hand but got it replaced brand new by the company that accidentally damaged it!
Audiocontrol EQL - £170 when i bought it 3/4 years ago
Bootbuild+wiring - not telling!

Remap - £235
Pedals, knob, handbrake cover - £200ish
Front seat back retrim - £100
Fk Coilovers - £430
Milltek - £325
HID Bulb Kit - £95
Green Panel Filter - £30
Ambient Light - £60
Interior Trim - £90 i think
Armrest - £80
Votex Skirts - £200
Votex front splitter - £70

plus all the expensive cleaning gear!

Overall, I dont regret paying this on a car as its a hobby - I don't drink (that much), don't smoke etc...

I can say I will probably be modifying cars to some extent for the rest of my driving days

Nothing wrong with spending money on what you enjoy. Some people spend it on women, some on golf, some on following their football team all over Europe etc. At the end of the day we work to live not live to work. I like to buy new cars and powerful computers which I've been into since the days of the Sinclair ZX80. I keep the car for 5 years or so then buy another top of the range model to take advantage of the new technology.

RNS-E - £500 on ebay
Bluetooth - £230 on ebay
Tints - £180

About to spend another £160 or so on a rear spoiler (why the hell didn't the car come with one?!)

I'm not sure I'd spend any money on performance mods because on my car you don't get much in return and I think it's quick enough already. If I decide I want to go much faster I'll buy a Porsche or something.
I've always spent money modifying cars though, I love 'personalising' them. I never get the money back when I write them off or trade them in but you accept that when you start surely!

Boydie, your car's looking wicked!

MarcQuinlivan said:
I must say, that's a rather interesting statement! Care to elaborate?

Well you know...easy come easy go...

Eventually my cars will either get written off or traded in for a new one. In either case, the cumulative value of all the modifications I've made to the car is never recouped...(either from the insurer or the purchaser)

I was more interested getting an elaboration on the "I write them off" part of the statement as opposed your easy come easy go attitude to the cost of mods. I think we can all agree that you never get back what you put into it.

Not getting back what you spend is fine as far as I'm concerned. Most things in life have a cost for the pleasure and enjoyment they bring. 'A good night out' costs money. You wouldn't undertake it only on condition that you recouped the outlay would you?

I spent £325 on the wheels
About £450 on the conti sport tyres
And £300 on springs and labour to fit them.

I thought this will be enough but it has to be said, once the modding bug bites you, you can't stop! I just want it to look OEM though so next is S3 bumpers and spoiler. After that I **should* be happy!
My girlfriend doesn't get it at all. She can't understand why I'd spend so much on wheels and lowering. When it was all done I said: Ahhhhhh this looks so much better now" She just said she couldn't notice the difference!!
But I accept people have different hobbies, and cars are my thing. I barely drink too and stopped smoking a year ago. I'd go as far as saying that i'm totally obssesed with the A3. 50% of my disposable income goes on the car one way or another, the other 50% goes on my girlfriend!

sat,
When your girlfriend evolves into your wife you will be amazed at how she thinks 12 pairs of expensive shoes and 15 tops and skirts per year is the norm for all women. They are a different species to us.

On current white a3 spent... £1500 on wheels/tyres, £180 on tints and thats it so far. Had my S4 mirrors off my old a3 already.

My last a3 spent loads as had alot of stereo stuff in it, couldn't be bothered on my new one so just got Bose but doesn't sound as good as my last car.

I don't regret spending money on my car as Boydie said it's knd of a hobby.

I kinda went to town when ordering my car and ended up with about thirteen grandsworth of extras on it, so there's not many additional mods I need.

I already had my Phatnoise and S4 mirrors from my previous A3, so didn't need to buy them. The only extras so far are the ambient light thingy and my new RNS-E. All that's left now is a digital TV tuner and a DVD player I think.

So the total after purchase cost is only about 1300 euro.

N8KOW said:
digital TV tuner? Tell me more, I'd be interested!!
just a third party tv tuner - it'll need a video integration lead to get the video onto the display. don't really see much point in buying the OEM one because it is analog and it is probably twice the price of an aftermarket one.

13grand!!!!!! bejesus! i thought i wetn OTT with 4k!!!

I'm now tempted for a 312mm brake upgrade to fit nicely behind the 19's

The main bit of spending I have left to do though with the car is to get a front bumper respray after winter

Might try source some new front lights as mine are both now starting to steam :( tried everything except taking them apart

I bought a single fog light from ebay to replace the stone chipped ones but still need to get another one!

Just counted it up last week and I can't believe I've spent soo much (not saying how much) but I only have 2 regrets which are the second hand star fmic and the mofo, other than that I'm happy with what I've spent, should of gotten the remap sooner though.

Boydie said:
I'm now tempted for a 312mm brake upgrade to fit nicely behind the 19's

The main bit of spending I have left to do though with the car is to get a front bumper respray after winter

Might try source some new front lights as mine are both now starting to steam :( tried everything except taking them apart

I bought a single fog light from ebay to replace the stone chipped ones but still need to get another one!

And theres you tellin me the TDI brakes are fine!! lol. I'll just wait and see what they are like when I get mine!

but i found out that vagcom is required once the brakes are fitted and bled :( from what I have been told, it can be quite tricky - not 100% sure!

280/90 or something like that

they have a bigger surface area so require the bigger calipers and carriers so yes, they are better!

Same no. of pistons though, so a little difference but 4 pot brembos will make a BIG difference! My cousin's brembos in his 197 are to die for!!

£14,500 to buy the 18-month old 2.0TDI S-Line DSG (with a £450 1st AVS service bill paid by the first owner just before I bought it, including new wiper blades and brake fluid change)

£480 on four new Conti SportContact 3s after 26,000 miles
£30 on longlife oil for topping up.
£20 on longlife oil and an oil filter for a DIY change mid-way between AVS services
£159 on a pair of OEM HID projector headlights, bulbs & ballasts
£30 for polish, screenwash, Rain-X, etc
£35 for an MOT
£15 for a pair of PIAA silicone wiper blades
£1,280 for 12,500 miles worth of Diesel

4 pirelli p zero rosso = £525
2 pairs of michelin pilot sport 2 = £640 ish
oil x 4 = £60
black oem sline grille = £67
RNSE- £900 ish all in
Revo remap = £500
Revo select switch = £235
origin b2 speed detector = £230
two rear oem rubber mats = £24
new oem diverter valve = £24
oem blindside mirrors = £52
oem ambient leds = £12
oem aluminium pedals = £115
sat nav dvd 2006 = £85
sat nav dvd 2007 = £160
on car washes = £400 ish
oem air filter = £14

£4019

In 2 years motoring all i've paid for is the usual running costs ie. RFL, insurance and servicing. I suppose thats the reason to buy a well specced used car and let someone else pay for all the extras:)