How long does the 12v stay on?

Spack

Reaction score
Strange request but wondered if anyone has the foggiest clue how long the cigarette charger stays on once the car is turned off? Trying to source a dashcam and rally don't want to start pulling part interior trim or bother with remembering to charge batteries, if it stays on for an hour or so after being turned off that would be perfect for most parking situation without draining the battery i think.

Mine turns off when the ignition is turned off, but the USB charger outlet in the armrest is always on.

This can be changed by moving the fuses in the fuse box.

Do you know for sure that yours turns off after a while? It may always be on.

Reactions: aurian and AudiNutta
Get a blackvue with a proper parking mode :)

Reactions: Rob2k68, Audi Bairn and AudiNutta
Just been out for a quick tests and yes the one by the gearbox switches off immediately, I've got a blackvue dashcam but wasn't sure if I could bothered to hardwire it or get it hard wired to the car, I've had problems with Audi before telling me a hardwired dashcam was to blame for electrical faults, of course it was rubbish but still took ages with lots of hassle to get any electrical warranty work off them.
Interesting about the armrest option I never thought of that, not sure I've got enough cable to reach though :(
Only want it for the carparks really looks like the only choice is the blackvue with the pro battery pack hardwired in

Reactions: azibux1
Yeah I'd go blackvue with Power Magic Pro to be honest. A lot of us here have the same setup and have no issues :)

Reactions: Rob2k68
You can have it permanently on by moving the fuse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rob2k68 and aurian
Just looked and I don't have a 12v in the armrest? It's a 2015 RS3, are they different?

Reactions: lenny151
Just looked and I don't have a 12v in the armrest? It's a 2015 RS3, are they different?
To be honest, unless I've missed it, I don't have one in my 2016 PFL S3

Sorry misread it was a USB charger, which I have got, not sure how many dashcams charge off of USB?

Reactions: AudiNutta
Just looked in the manual and Fuse F40 is cigarette lighter/electrical socket.
Can't find anything directly related to the armrest USB charger?

Just looked in the manual and Fuse F40 is cigarette lighter/electrical socket.
Can't find anything directly related to the armrest USB charger?
Probably linked with the MMI system fuse?

Also I'd avoid anyway if you're talking USB not proper 12V as that's just designed for media and likely isn't designed for / won't provide the necessary amps for a dashcam to run nicely

Reactions: Rob2k68
The way I set up my Blackvue is normally with permanent power. The car very rarely sits for more than 12 hours, if it does then it is in the garage. The Blackvue only records if it detects movement, so say in the works car park. I have the minimum voltage set and maximum working time set to 36 hours.

After 12 hours in work, I have never had any problems and the camera is still always running without fail. For my permanent feed, I used the fuse outlet for the security alarm. The only time the car has sat for longer than 12 hours is in the shut garage, so the camera has only recorded me leaving and entering the garage so it has never caused a problem once again.

When parking in the airport, I have swapped the camera to switch live to record the car being driven by the P&R staff (I am 100% certain, the S3 will not be parked at the airport.. it will be safe in the garage anyway haha). For switched live I used the fuse outlet labelled something like drivers side cornering light, the first switched live supply I came across and works perfectly.

When using fuse taps, it is just a case of unplugging and plugging in the tap into a different socket, making it very easy to change between permanent and switched feeds rather than a true hardwired installation, which you wouldn't be able to change.

Probably linked with the MMI system fuse?

Also I'd avoid anyway if you're talking USB not proper 12V as that's just designed for media and likely isn't designed for / won't provide the necessary amps for a dashcam to run nicely

I would imagine this is linked with the MMI, which I wouldn't want to go pulling a fuse for to see if that is true haha. Please see my above post, I believe this is the best way to install the dash cam and hide the 12V plug from the centre console, which is something that would drive me mad haha.

I know it has been mentioned that Audi have blamed a dash cam for causing electrical faults due to hardwiring, but a plug and play fuse tap would be pretty hard for them to prove fault on that installation. When I had a master tech drive my A3 for a rattle, he asked if the camera was recording all the time but never explained why he asked, he didn't seem to have an issue with the installation and from previous experience he is the first to comment on warranty invalidity.
If I ever had an issue, I would argue with Audi that I have fitted it in an attempt to further protect their asset (PCP). I asked them to fit the hardwiring harness for me when it went in earlier this week, they refused due to it being something I had supplied so I have no choice but to install it myself.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and azibux1
Which fuse, and from where to where?
The 12v cigar lighter fuse (check the manual, not near mine at the moment ) , and it's simply 3 pins , so you bridge the bottom two with the fuse or the top two . It's obvious when you look at it

Reactions: Wibbly