Home made smoke test? boost leak.

JJ.Foulds

Reaction score
So today ive just fitted my new ebay chinese crappy front mount intercooler.

While fitting, one of the o-rings from the original pipes was well old and deformed after removing it so when i fitted it all back together i had to not fit it.

I did some logs and found to be loosing about 1/3 of my boost. Im hoping it is from this O ring as i can wiggle the pipe so i know these is a gap.

SO ONTO THE POINT.

I have a smoke machine, as in a entertainment smoke machine for bands.
Can i just take the intake filter off and spray the smoke machine into the intake during idle to find the leak? or is it more complicated than this?

Thanks. Any input into how smoke tests are run would be great.

And as for pictures, i will be updating my build thread that has been idle for some time!

No they work by pressurising the system up to 20 odd psi while the engine is off, I highly suggest you don't just inject it with it running.

If you haven't fitted the o ring then that's where it'll be, that's if there aren't any more.

No they work by pressurising the system up to 20 odd psi while the engine is off, I highly suggest you don't just inject it with it running.

If you haven't fitted the o ring then that's where it'll be, that's if there aren't any more.

Well im going to pop down to some garages and just ask for an o ring to fit, then do the logs again.

But could i just do what i suggested with the engine off then?

I doubt it because you won't be able to pressurise the system. Garages use compressed air to build up the pressure