hmmm odd one

S

Scottamdaddy

Hi Guys, i have noticed for a while now a smell of fuel coming through the air vent when i become stationary for a couple of seconds. i have had a look / sniff round the engine bay and the only area that seems to smell is around the intake manifold.

i cant see anything obvious but car is running fine, as soon as the engine turns off the smell is gone odd.

the only thing that i can see is that the injectors look a little damp but if it was them there would be a smell after the engine was turned off and there isn't.

in a couple of weeks time i am going to over haul the injectors kit turned up today, replace the inlet manifold gasket just in case, and its due to go in to Audi to have all 4 coils replaced as its an outstanding recall. however if any one else has experienced this and found the cause or has any good suggestions to look into please can you let me know been searching for weeks and cant find jack

its a Audi B4 b6 1.8T saloon 2001 150bhp engine
p.s scanned no faults either

Thanks in advance guys :)

Carefully check the whole PCV system (positive crankcase ventilation) The favorite culprit would be the crankcase breather. This system takes the blow by gases back to the turbo inlet pipe, Any leaks will smell of fuel and once the engine is off there's no pressure to push the gases out, I think this is why you can't find it.
If it was the inlet manifold gasket I'd expect to see some lean codes, it would only push petrol fumes out under boost. If you remove the inlet manifold you'll need to replace the o'ring for the water pipe that runs over the top of the inlet manifold.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-VW-Gol...123921?hash=item5432897c51:g:ojIAAOSwj2dXkQ2A

Whole kits are readily available as well http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Breather-...519833?hash=item1a09db5919:g:TxsAAOSwHQ9WV~gV

Thanks for the reply I have just ordered a new one via Audi main dealer as if I'm going to replace it would be nice to have piece of mind that its a quality part rather than messing around with pat parts. When I had my last a4 b5 I had an issue with the maf and pp never worked only genuine so since then I swore I would try and use oem where I can. I had a look at the breather it looks in okay condition but noticed oil round the o seal area of it and the T peice has split so with the two together you was bang on the money with the smell. Just a couple more things to change and hopfuly I should have full boost again as it's seems to be under powered again not massively but definitely noticeable.... Thanks again for your help

Glad to help. I must stress that I'm not affiliated with any of the sellers that I post links to, I just find it easiest to use Ebay to put up a link of the part I've mentioned so people know what they're looking for.
Re pattern parts, for the likes of MAF's etc then yes, original parts but I've no qualms using pattern parts for the likes of PCV stuff, I used an Ebay seller that supplied that exact elbow at less than £10, when I received it, it was a genuine part with the part number removed with a soldering iron. We all know what our budgets are and what we have to work with so it's a personal choice.
You will be losing boost via the split t piece so you should be back to full power once replaced. It's possible to do with the inlet manifold in place if you remove the intercooler to throttle body hose and the inlet manifold support rod and of course the coolant tank, this should give you enough room to get in there.