HELP!!!!!

In a sense,very fortunate that the hot side disintegrated rather than the inlet side,as that probably saved your engine from any shrapnel.

You had the new one fitted at AMD?

If so,at least you have the security of knowing they've seen the good and bad of turbos,and Steve,who looks after the engine on mine,is someone I trust completely.

The car drives exactly as it did before, the only difference I have noticed is that I no longer get that nasty metallic rattle at low RPM.

Having said that my wife's Golf R has the 722H turbo on and that rattles louder than my S3 did...

The date stamped on the failed turbo is 21/03/2014.

I had the Turbo fitted by my local mechanic, he did all the work on my Focus ST and that thing was modded to within an inch of its life and never missed a beat so I feel very comfortable with the workmanship. I am however taking it back to AMD for logging and to just check that everything is OK with the map etc.

I am just so pleased, as you say, that the hot side failed.

Out of interest does anyone know the causes of any other S3/R turbo failures, would be interested to see whether it was the same cause each time?

Having someone you know and trust to do the work is worth a lot.

The turbo on the 8P(the K04) was often singled out for concerns when pushed to it's map limits,but in fact was subject to very few failures,whereas this particular batch of ( IHI,I think) turbos on the 8V seems to have been marginal at best,with some failures on stock cars.

Keeping a turbo within it's map and rpm limits isn't focussed on nearly as much as it perhaps should be,and moving from the K04,through GT3071,GTX3076 and GTX3582s has taught me a lot about speccing the turbo correctly for the intended job.
I would guess that QC on many of the failures has been at the root of the problem but I don't know the exact mode of failure.

Glad you're up and running again.

Reactions: JohnM100, veeeight and DolbyS3
Glad to hear it's all resolved, you weren't tempted to go for the TTE & stage III?

Glad to hear it's all resolved, you weren't tempted to go for the TTE & stage III?

Thanks!

The cost of the TTE turbo without giving them back a standard (undamaged) unit was too high, the wife has taken the bad news really well so far and hasn't put me in the dog house for voiding the warranty on our nice new car but I think if I told her I was going to spend even more money on an uprated turbo I think her attitude may change lol.

Reactions: jmcnamee98 and S3Alex
Hot side and only 2 pieces - v lucky.

Glad all now fixed and running well. Long may it continue.

Respect to you for taking it on the chin re the map vs warranty and not trying a sneaky one.

John.

Reactions: S3Alex and veeeight
I would guess that QC on many of the failures has been at the root of the problem but I don't know the exact mode of failure.

I've heard various things, all hearsay, no definite root cause analysis report. From shaft machining tolerances to seal tolerances etc.

But it's alarming to hear that 722H variants are also failing. :(

Reactions: S3Alex
core I bet you was glad it was on the hot side. that COULD of been nasty. :/ may your happy s3 days continue. im now going to pop out and see what model my turbo is :/

Reactions: DolbyS3
How would I find the turbo build date? My car is a May 2015 however having had the ECU on my 2012 8P ID'd as a 2009 part, I want to be sure my turbo isn't of the "Toblerone" variety...

I've heard various things, all hearsay, no definite root cause analysis report. From shaft machining tolerances to seal tolerances etc.

But it's alarming to hear that 722H variants are also failing. :(

Really!! :frown: I didn't know the 722H's had reported failures! Seems they still haven't got it right then!

How would I find the turbo build date? My car is a May 2015 however having had the ECU on my 2012 8P ID'd as a 2009 part, I want to be sure my turbo isn't of the "Toblerone" variety...

Easiest way is to get your phone into video mode and stick down into the engine bay facing towards the turbo, you'll notice a plate on the side of the turbo and this will tell you the part number, the date is stamped on the top (ish) of the turbo.

Found it! I have the 722H variant, so I guess build date doesn't matter.

Would you believe the little clear plastic film over the stamp was STILL on, inspite of the temps and weathering? Crazy little ******!

Managed to rub it off and got the money shot....

Reactions: DolbyS3 and veeeight
Driving car to a meeting and all of a sudden lost 90% of power and HUUUUGE clouds of white smoke out the back! Stopped the car and it will start with dabs of throttle but sounds like a heap of Sh!@t and idle is increidbly lumpy! I'm asssuming turbo but could anyone shed any light? Its an S3 by the way.

Thanks

Sounds like a Turbo related issue!!

I would suggest not restarting the engine as to protect any other parts the may end up being effected further.

Get it recovered to garage and moan like Hell! :D

When buying an "approved used" car from a dealers do Audi check that the car's ECU hasn't been mapped/tampered with? Is there a way to verify yourself by plugging a laptop in?

When buying an "approved used" car from a dealers do Audi check that the car's ECU hasn't been mapped/tampered with? Is there a way to verify yourself by plugging a laptop in?

The 140 whatever point check is a joke. I know a couple of users over on A5OC who bought used approved cars that had massive accident damage that wasn't picked up....

Assume they haven't checked anything...

Reactions: Gordo77
well that certainly fills me with confidence. why are dealers so ****? so is it possible to check for this ones self by plugging the car into a laptop?