Help - What can i Do??

MOOSH

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

Well i bought Vcds a little while ago now mainly to carry out a force regen on my A3 2.0tdi 170 quattro 2007 and since then all i have used it on was to scan my cousin's van to find a fault with his maf.

I would like to be coding things etc but with no real prior experience with this software im kind of reluctant and find information (for me anyway) seems hard because unless you know the speak or the software the tips etc and quiet confusing.

The little things i would like to do are like,

Change the flash on my indicators to 1 click per side, the 3 is alittle annoying albiet it also handy.

One day i would like to fit cruise and code that myself.

The doors are currently a double click and the boot doesnt always open, i would like to change it to one click opens all but retain the anti hi jack function that mine has.

And so on, just little tweaks etc

I have 12-15 years motor trade experience as i was previously a panel beater paint sprayer so not new to cars and there functions just new to coding but i am hoping its like everything else learning step by step until it clicks. I am a civil engineering surveyor now and use a fair bit of software so the ablity is there i think the nerves are there to.

Any help guys would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Gordy

I would suggest you do a full scan, and save it first as this will give you a return point if you get a code wrong. (You can see the original coding when you read the log on your computer, and so can put it back to original)
There is a lot of info on this site about the various codes, or you could try the Ross Tech site, as they have heaps of info. Of course, there is always Google.
I would suggest you get the Elsa-Win manual, or whatever Audi are using, as there is a lot of info in there about how to play with settings using the dealer machine, and the steps are the same in VCDS.
I am assuming you have the genuine lead, if not I would recommend you get one, as the knock-offs don't have full functionality and may leave you up a creek with no paddle!

I wouldn't get too hung up on using VCDS, it is just a tool like any other, and you soon get used to the terminology and mentality of it!

Best of luck!

Hey paul,

yes it is a genuine cable i bought of NHN on here, i have carried out a full scan and saved that so i can always check back.

Thanks for the pointer on getting a manual i wasnt aware of these, im a total virg lol

And I would point out that should you get stuck, you have many friends here on this forum willing to help. NHN and Ross-Tech are here to assist if necessary. And.... If you register your unit with Ross-Tech, you can contact our Tech Support group by email at support@Ross-Tech.com. So, help is never too far away.

Name of Distributor from whom
VCDS was purchased?

Nigel aka NHN?

Sorry Gordy, I did reply to this but lost the poxy page & flu hasnt helped me, so as already stated, dont panic mister mannering, just a case of learning how it works, its fairly simple overall & the general way to do things is to always do an autoscan before playing, then at least you can refer back to that when you change something & it doesnt quite work out, say recode the radio for a feature, if something not right then recode it back to as was before.

Common sense prevails tbh, dont mess with stuff without understanding what the change will effectively do to the module you're in.

It has popup helpers for coding anyway, so work out on paper if need be what coding you need to insert into the module, make note of old coding & then attempt new.

Locking would be the selective locking feature thats in module 46 Convenience Module utilising long coding that is a series of tick boxes to enable/disable a feature, have a nosey in there, dont change anything until you're comfortable finding your way round.

Any questions come back & ask as many of us can advise when we can.

Bruce Nige thanks for getting back to me on this, i guess its a case of the more you use the more you learn.

I have printed off the manual for it so i will go through that to better my understanding first of all.

Nige sorry to hear your poorly again mate, hope its cleared up? Had it myself a month or so ago and it took weeks to go away...

The man flu - Bad times...