Help – removing rear door lock/central locking actuator

Retroman

Audi A3 2010 Sportback 2.0 TDI 170 (CBBB engine)
Reaction score
My rear nearside door is suffering from the well-known VAG lock issue and I want to remove it. I’ve “surveyed” the job and can remove the door card etc. but the problem is trying to detach the lock from the lever on the door handle.

One or two online sources for Audis (not my particular model) talk about the need to completely strip the door, the window motor, window & slider mechanism and rubber window surrounds. Is this necessary to gain working access to the lock? Any tips from those who have done the job would be appreciated.

Door card of, then you'll find your way, you don't need to remove all that, door handle is a rod clipped to the lock, torch & some small tools to release the clip that holds the rod.

Use a mirror to clearly see the lock and what you need to do

Front lock maybe a mirror if it's 1st time working on, but tbh removal will allow you to work out how it all goes back in, so I'd say forgo a mirror, as it's mostly facing you anyway.

Many thanks. So the rod I can see, at the back of the door handle, is a rod attached to the lock and not the handle. Does it slide sideways from the handle clips or is it gripped tightly by the handle clips and so just needs to be prised out? :redface new:

Iirc it should have a black or yellow plastic latching piece that folds over the rod when in place against the lock & thus this needs releasing to unattach the rod.

Older units had a cruder design.

on ETKA should be exploded view if you wanna see how they are attached

as above, the yellow piece snaps in place so it needs to be unsnapped and then everything is easy

Many thanks. So the rod I can see, at the back of the door handle, is a rod attached to the lock and not the handle. Does it slide sideways from the handle clips or is it gripped tightly by the handle clips and so just needs to be prised out? :redface new:

I know I'm reviving an old thread here but was wondering did you manage to fix it yourself... Any advice you can give me starting out on the same task. Think I saw the same strip down videos as you with removing the window and was worried I'd have to pay someone to do the work (I had a bad previous experience with a window regulator) but if it's doable without messing with the window then I'll have a crack at it.

Even found this linked to from PH and know its a bit of a ghetto fix but half considering giving it a go prior to ordering the replacement actuator motors seeing as both my rear doors are not unlocking

The main thing is to unlatch the rod & refit correctly, if you're concerned then just pay someone for peace of mind.

Swapped out many of these for clients, new lock is the only true way if wiring has been confirmed to be ok.

The main thing is to unlatch the rod & refit correctly, if you're concerned then just pay someone for peace of mind.

Swapped out many of these for clients, new lock is the only true way if wiring has been confirmed to be ok.

OK thanks for the response, maybe a stupid question but how would I confirm the wiring is OK? I have the Carista app so can do a fault code scan when I get home tonight just need to reactivate my pro account. It's obviously worth me ruling out everything else before I buy the new motors

Check front & rear door hinge rubbers for broken wires & check for no comms errors on the door modules.

Cheers will have a proper look tonight and see if any error codes thrown up

Well I hate to perpetuate a stereotype but it's not easy to part a Yorkshire man from his cash....

I was waiting for my wife to get home because I remembered she hadn't had a free trial of the carista pro version yet (yeah I'm that tight) and thought whilst I'm waiting let's get the doorcard and see what I'm dealing with. So I get into where the actuator is and actually it looks pretty easy to swap over... Anyway I'm looking at it and think what the hell if I'm going to swap it why not try the "ghetto" Seat Leon drill fix. So I tried and what do you know it worked!

Straight over to the other side and same again!

Both rear doors working properly and £0 spent.

I guess it might not be a permanent fix but will see how it goes, at least now I'm confident to change the motor if it comes to it