Heated washer jets.

G

Goner

Do i have these as standard?

If so do they came on when I use the heated door mirrors or when I put the rear demister on?

Spec of car is in my signature.

Thanks

I was told by a Tech guy many moons ago they come on with the heated mirrors.

Thanks in that case they were either heavily frozen this morning because 40 minutes of having the door mirrors heated and defrosted the washer jets still wouldn't work or the water was frozen in the bottle.

I'll stick some more concentrate washer fluid in a try again if it's freezing again tomorrow.

Thanks in that case they were either heavily frozen this morning because 40 minutes of having the door mirrors heated and defrosted the washer jets still wouldn't work or the water was frozen in the bottle.

I'll stick some more concentrate washer fluid in a try again if it's freezing again tomorrow.

Mine have worked quite well however, as with many heated washer jets, they sometimes freeze as the water exits the jet if it's really cold which may be unavoidable unfortunately

Reactions: Jcbmally
True.

Hopefully the additional washer fluid I have put in will be fine.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
The trouble is most washer fluid concentrates use alcohol (ethanol) to reduce the freezing point of the solution. When the washer jets are used the alcohol is more volatile than water and evaporates quickly leaving the water behind which can then freeze on the screen. Best to mix up to the Winter strength or even severe Winter strength depending on the temperatures expected.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Goner and Jcbmally
I use pure concentrate in winter (Prestone from Costco) and not had any issues so far in the cold temps; we'll see tomorrow, forecast to be -4 tonight!

I also changed the jets to the A6 mist ones which are brilliant.

I use pure concentrate in winter (Prestone from Costco) and not had any issues so far in the cold temps; we'll see tomorrow, forecast to be -4 tonight!

Do you have a link/part number for the mist jets buddy.

I got them on eBay from some Audi dealer in Wales I think

Like for like replacement on the S3 8V mate ?

Very easy straight swap. I like the fan mist better than the standard pistol jets. There's several threads about it. The advantage of the A6 jets is that you can adjust them with a torx screwdriver and there's no messing about with needles or whatever trying to get them to actually spray on the windscreen. I changed mine when I got totally fed up trying to unblock the standard pistol type jets.

Very easy straight swap. I like the fan mist better than the standard pistol jets. There's several threads about it. The advantage of the A6 jets is that you can adjust them with a torx screwdriver and there's no messing about with needles or whatever trying to get them to actually spray on the windscreen. I changed mine when I got totally fed up trying to unblock the standard pistol type jets.
Cheers, I heard the screen wash lasts a bit longer to so another plus point.

Maybe but not sure I've really noticed a difference. Certainly better than watering the road or the car behind.

I’ve just got some Prestone fluid from screwfix. Also got some of their de icer spray which is fantastic stuff.

Been using the Prestone concentrate stuff for years now. Always mixed it 50/50 in winter and much less in the summer. Never had a problem with frozen jets. I’ve only had frozen headlight washer where they don’t pop out which is more worrying as in an old ford mondeo I had before the headlight washer was half frozen and when I squirted the windscreen the headlight washers tried to come out and the cap on the headlight washer popped off. Had to get a new one and get it colour coded to the bumper.

Been using the Prestone concentrate stuff for years now. Always mixed it 50/50 in winter and much less in the summer. Never had a problem with frozen jets. I’ve only had frozen headlight washer where they don’t pop out which is more worrying as in an old ford mondeo I had before the headlight washer was half frozen and when I squirted the windscreen the headlight washers tried to come out and the cap on the headlight washer popped off. Had to get a new one and get it colour coded to the bumper.

Do you always use 50/50 even in sub zero conditions? I put it in fully concentrated this week.

Always 50/50. Topped it up last weekend and it was fine this morning with -7 degrees. Not sure the headlights washer are working though, couldn’t see the usual massive overspray.
Prestone makes a concentrate and ready to use. The ready to use you don’t dilute.

Always 50/50. Topped it up last weekend and it was fine this morning with -7 degrees. Not sure the headlights washer are working though, couldn’t see the usual massive overspray.

Good to know it works with a 50/50 water mix. Quite surprised actually. This will save me money! You’d of thought the water would of frozen within the mix.

Works for me.
It’s the headlight washer that uses the most. It feels like it’s squirting a litre every time.

Will give it a try next time.

Slightly off topic but is there a similar replacement for the rear washer jet on the Sportback? Mine has been a nightmare and it's still not quite right, doesn't cover the top of the windscreen properly

Slightly off topic but is there a similar replacement for the rear washer jet on the Sportback? Mine has been a nightmare and it's still not quite right, doesn't cover the top of the windscreen properly

Have you tried taking it apart and cleaning it. There was a thread on here with a video of how to take it apart and clean it out. The rear is the worse for gathering dirt and grit so anything with fine holes will just get clogged up.

Not sure if your aware but with the FL you dont need to hold down the wiper stalk to spray, just a quick flick will deliver a set amount of water to the screen. I noticed a massive reduction in the amount of water used in PFL to FL due to this. You need to hold down to spray the lights though.

Reactions: Jcbmally and AlS3BE
Not sure if your aware but with the FL you dont need to hold down the wiper stalk to spray, just a quick flick will deliver a set amount of water to the screen. I noticed a massive reduction in the amount of water used in PFL to FL due to this. You need to hold down to spray the lights though.

I think the pre-set wash works ok in the FL, however I’ve noticed on mine the first wash after the start of a journey doesn’t use as much (sometimes not enough) water as subsequent washes during the journey.
It’s also good being able to choose whether or not to wash the lights.
On our TT, the mist spray is great but it lasts too long obscuring your view too long (especially driving towards the sun) and using too much water.

Reactions: Jcbmally and josul

Got mine replaced a few months back. Only cost a few quid and i asked at reception if a master tech could fit it. Took him 5secs!

Ordered and delivered next day, thanks to @creweaudiparts
Will fit today when it warms up a bit.

Reactions: creweaudiparts

I’ve heard positive reviews on the mists jets. There was one guy who commented on the mist not reaching to the top of the widescreen. I assume you can adjust and they do reach it?