Have you heard the S4/S5 rumour...

Yeah got that, even the B9 S4 wasn't seen in great numbers though, never seen one yet. Don't know but maybe the diesel is aimed at certain drivers and not private owners..

Maybe too subtle. I was inferring that the diesel S4 was unlikely to be seen in numbers as I really don't get who would be buying them. If driving a big engined, powerful diesel is your thing - get an HGV licence.

You clearly haven't driven a diesel 6 to say that go ahead and get a HGV license.

You can't compare them with four pot engines, petrol or diesel.

Much smoother, more torque, flexible power delivery. The petrol 4pot will be quieter but the noise the v6 tdi makes isn't bad by any means.

Yeah from the offset Audi's decision to make the s4 diesel doesn't make sense to me at all, but there are loads of drivers in Germany especially who are quite optimistic to the idea of a fast/economical long cruiser.

Audi should have just copied BMW and kept the petrol the way they have the m340d and m340i

Yeah got that, even the B9 S4 wasn't seen in great numbers though, never seen one yet. Don't know but maybe the diesel is aimed at certain drivers and not private owners..

This is true. I tried to sell my B9 S4 back to Audi however they had no interest in buying it back off me, they wouldn’t even make me an offer. When I asked what he thought about the S4 moving to diesel he couldn’t care less as he said they hardly sold any anyway

I had no rapport with him by this point though as when o told him I didn’t want to buy a car off him, I just wanted to sell mine to back Audi so I could buy a BMW he looked at me like I’d taken a dump in the middle of the showroom!

Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan, TYb and 1 other person
The RS4, RS5 coupe and RS5 sportback which are available again are limited to 250 each for the UK. Doesn't sound a lot but I bet they will be more common than the diesel S4, S5 coupe and S5 sportback!

Saw my first B9 RS5 coupe today. A nice reminder of how fast a stage 2 B8 is :)

You clearly haven't driven a diesel 6 to say that go ahead and get a HGV license.

You can't compare them with four pot engines, petrol or diesel.

Much smoother, more torque, flexible power delivery. The petrol 4pot will be quieter but the noise the v6 tdi makes isn't bad by any means.

Yeah from the offset Audi's decision to make the s4 diesel doesn't make sense to me at all, but there are loads of drivers in Germany especially who are quite optimistic to the idea of a fast/economical long cruiser.

Audi should have just copied BMW and kept the petrol the way they have the m340d and m340i

I can certainly agree with your last 2 sentences but as for the rest - I get it, you like your tuned diesel and that's fine. But did you really want a diesel? You might prefer one for economy covering a lot of miles but surely you don't actually want one do you?

I can certainly agree with your last 2 sentences but as for the rest - I get it, you like your tuned diesel and that's fine. But did you really want a diesel? You might prefer one for economy covering a lot of miles but surely you don't actually want one do you?

Before I had my license I remember being driven in a cls 320 cdi and was blown away that it was a diesel. It was super smooth and the fastest car I'd ever sat in at the time.

Fastest meaning when you compare it to your every day 1.4 or 2litre engine.

I had a courtesy Volvo xc70 d5 2.5 5clynder which I was also super impressed by.

I've had the pleasure of driving a 335i and 330ci and as much as I liked the noise they made and the way it shifted to the red line I couldn't justify the extra fuel costs.

The every day 4 pot petrol also wasn't all that on fuel.

So I needed a car that offers good performance and good economy, the 272 being tuned lived up to all that.

I understand each to their own but for me it made sense.

If I were to go petrol it would be a weekend car and not a daily as would be too expensive to run imo, I like the e92 m3 and the v8 amgs

My car gets 50s on the motorway, sounds pretty decent for a diesel and still will get to 60 in under 5 seconds. That's the perfect balance in my eyes.

However if I only did city runs I'd never get a diesel, I'd get a hybrid or small petrol.

So the answer to ur question, yes I wanted a diesel, but in terms of desirability, I only like the 6 cylinders and above, not the average 4pot.

Reactions: And1, NevMan and Zippytoo
I respect your passion for your V6 diesel but have to say I don't find it infectious. I've had large engined petrol V6s - in fact my first car was a petrol V6 but petrol was much cheaper then. I've had diesel 5s and 4s and driven 6s both v and i but they weren't a patch on the petrol V6s I'd had before. I've got a petrol 4 now and happy enough with it but would have been happier with a 6, they just didn't have the B9 S4 available when I bought my car.

Thing is though, Audi had a big engined diesel already. I just don't see why they needed to drop the petrol S4 in Europe. If there was demand for a more powerful diesel then, fine, do an S4D as well but leave the S4 petrol as a choice.

Reactions: And1, Terminator x and syed123
I respect your passion for your V6 diesel but have to say I don't find it infectious. I've had large engined petrol V6s - in fact my first car was a petrol V6 but petrol was much cheaper then. I've had diesel 5s and 4s and driven 6s both v and i but they weren't a patch on the petrol V6s I'd had before. I've got a petrol 4 now and happy enough with it but would have been happier with a 6, they just didn't have the B9 S4 available when I bought my car.

Thing is though, Audi had a big engined diesel already. I just don't see why they needed to drop the petrol S4 in Europe. If there was demand for a more powerful diesel then, fine, do an S4D as well but leave the S4 petrol as a choice.

I'm not saying whether ones better than the other - a petrol v6 will always be a smoother quieter operator than a v6 tdi

I'm just saying the diesel 6s are good engines in their own right, especially with the performance/economy combo.

0 60 in 5 or under is very impressive for a car that can reach almost 60mpg on the motorway.

But agree on s4, they should have left a petrol choice. I'm assuming they either don't want the 2 to compete for sales or that the petrol didn't meet the wltp standards..

Reactions: Zippytoo
Agree with Syed123. As I’ve said before, if I was buying a new S4 I’d have probably cancelled by now. But, for me, diesel now makes a cracking 2 year lease deal an even better deal (i.e. better fuel economy takes a further £50-£60 per month off). And a diesel 6, especially one with 700Nm torque, is certainly not a bad option, even if it’s not the one I originally signed up to.

Reactions: NevMan and syed123
Agree with Syed123. As I’ve said before, if I was buying a new S4 I’d have probably cancelled by now. But, for me, diesel now makes a cracking 2 year lease deal an even better deal (i.e. better fuel economy takes a further £50-£60 per month off). And a diesel 6, especially one with 700Nm torque, is certainly not a bad option, even if it’s not the one I originally signed up to.

U won't be disappointed! Mine makes around 320bhp - sometimes it feels like it's more than that but maybe due to the massive torque 700nm are the gains quoted which feel that much.

Also the s4 tdi sounds quite good to me. The normal 3.0tdi is very quiet, makes a decent sound but nothing noticeable like the new s4.

I myself am now stuck whether or not to keep my a4 in a years time wen the pcp is up or upgrade to an s7. The s7 will just simply be too expensive for me I think.

It's hard to justify near 1k monthly payments no matter how nice the car is..

@Zippytoo if your cars a lease what's your monthly payments?

I got my car down from 46k to 35k by pricematching with my localish dealer 3 years ago. It has a good spec and put 5k mileage pa. 464pm

syed123, do you think though it is the tuning box that has made your car better? Irrespective of the torque output I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't lowered the rpm the torque kicks in.
Comparing this with road tests of Audi 'S' cars already fitted with the 'new' diesel, where the turbo seems only to kick in above 2000rpm, some will find the S4 a little flat until you spin the engine up. Being an automatic the only way, if possible, to avoid the lag would be to drive in full manual mode, which may prove to be tiring to drive. Plus the noise from the new S4 is actually artificially produced and some testers have found it wanting..

Reactions: syed123

Imho where most of us are coming from is yes give them a fast diesel just not the S4. The whole ethos of the S series lies in the gutter now for me.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan, syed123 and 2 others
syed123, do you think though it is the tuning box that has made your car better? Irrespective of the torque output I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't lowered the rpm the torque kicks in.
Comparing this with road tests of Audi 'S' cars already fitted with the 'new' diesel, where the turbo seems only to kick in above 2000rpm, some will find the S4 a little flat until you spin the engine up. Being an automatic the only way, if possible, to avoid the lag would be to drive in full manual mode, which may prove to be tiring to drive. Plus the noise from the new S4 is actually artificially produced and some testers have found it wanting..

Most certainly the tuning box has helped. Kudos to tdi tuning though who have updated the map a number of times and always tried to get the most out of the car.

I'd say peak torque still comes after 2k rpm so you have to do silly speeds to really unleash its potential. Torque below 2k is ok still and there is very little lag - possibly due to the pedal box and gearbox tune.

You can feather the throttle and still get to motorway speeds with barely any effort. It all works really well I think.

I think the lag on the new model must be due to the way the gearbox is set up as the new engine has a lot more tech than before so it's odd that there's still some lag even with an electric compressor.

Imho where most of us are coming from is yes give them a fast diesel just not the S4. The whole ethos of the S series lies in the gutter now for me.

TX.

I agree, I'm assuming on the grand scheme of things according to Audi people will still buy the s diesels. Or they could be wrong according to the forum and maybe re introduce a petrol in the future some stage..

Either way the s4 petrol will be one of the last v6 petrol cars.. 2020 is near and then they'll surely start phasing out the bigger engines for sure.

BMW have made the m135i 4 cylinder from a 6 which does make sense due to the size of the car, but imo the front looks absolutely hideous, I rarely say that about a new car.

Carwow even tested them both n the 6 cylinder trumps the 4 from a roll and a standing start.

U won't be disappointed! Mine makes around 320bhp - sometimes it feels like it's more than that but maybe due to the massive torque 700nm are the gains quoted which feel that much.

Also the s4 tdi sounds quite good to me. The normal 3.0tdi is very quiet, makes a decent sound but nothing noticeable like the new s4.

I myself am now stuck whether or not to keep my a4 in a years time wen the pcp is up or upgrade to an s7. The s7 will just simply be too expensive for me I think.

It's hard to justify near 1k monthly payments no matter how nice the car is..

@Zippytoo if your cars a lease what's your monthly payments?

I got my car down from 46k to 35k by pricematching with my localish dealer 3 years ago. It has a good spec and put 5k mileage pa. 464pm

For 11000 miles p.a., £376 on a 6+23. It works out at a reasonable 22.4% of list price.

Reactions: NevMan and syed123
Last edited:
Thanks for your reply syed123, thing is audi are suggesting the electric compressor electric eliminates lag and the reviews are clearly stating there is turbo lag. This is a graph of your engine in standard state of tune if it works
https://www.automobile-catalog.com/bigcurve/2017/2223035/audi_a4_3_0_tdi_272_quattro_tiptronic.html

As you can see a useful amount of torque from as low as 1000rpm. Would be useful to see a power output graph of the new S4...

Very interesting graph, can see peak torque is available from 1500rpm and is a very flat curve. It holds all the way to 3000rpm

I'm assuming the tuning box retains a similar curve albeit with extra power n torque

Yeah, I don't understand why there's still lag. Either way I'll be testing a new s7 soon then will report on my findings.

I'd love to get data on the engine, but from what I have read here and there I suspect that the electric compressor is simply not big enough to produce the same boost as the turbo. So whilst it will certainly lifting the torque before the turbo is able to build up pressure, once it does there will still be a kick of extra torque over what the electric turbo provides. This will leave a lag feeling, even though it will be better than for an engine without the electric compressor.

Reactions: cuke2u
Very interesting graph, can see peak torque is available from 1500rpm and is a very flat curve. It holds all the way to 3000rpm

I'm assuming the tuning box retains a similar curve albeit with extra power n torque

Yeah, I don't understand why there's still lag. Either way I'll be testing a new s7 soon then will report on my findings.
It could be the box makes the torque more 'linear' because there's more torque available and you really do not wish to strain the transmission with it all coming in a rush. I know that ecu remaps can do this but perhaps search back for dtuk's thread they did for the S4 might help?

Reactions: syed123
Very interesting graph, can see peak torque is available from 1500rpm and is a very flat curve. It holds all the way to 3000rpm.
The graph is computer generated from the manufacturers data. I wouldn't take it to be too accurate.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The new Audi S4 has been fitted with a diesel engine which to some of you may seem unfashionable but on Audi's part, it could be an inspired move. The new S4 has been refreshed with revised styling, improved tech and a new enhanced infotainment system. The new diesel engine is a 3.0 litre turbocharged V6 and backed up by a 48 volt electrical system. This 48 volt system enables a mild hybrid system which features an integrated alternator starter and a 0.5 Kw lithium-ion battery and the end result is is 342 BHP and a mega 700 NM of torque. Outside the S4 gets the same updates as the rest of the range so it gets reshaped headlights, a lower wider grille, a re profiled shoulder line and new taillights. You also get 19-inch alloys and a body kit for extra muscle. The interior is lovely as always with Audi's and the virtual cockpit looks sharper. The S4 starts at £48,000 with the Avant pushing £50,000. For an extra £1,500 you get the black edition which changes the exterior trim.

Reactions: 45bvtc, Keef, zippster and 1 other person
Perfect to tow your van after the Cupra Col

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Keef
Funny how so many people on here aren’t bothered by the Tesla (self included), all said about the exhaust noise being half the fun of a petrol car... now Audi are throwing Diesel engines in the S cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: V6_Man, SMI77 and 45bvtc
Seeing as we've debated this to death in another thread I am rather surprised to see a new one stated.
It isn't about the exhaust noise either if you look in there, road tests of this, and other Audi S cars, have identified turbo lag, which the electric compressor, Audi claim, is supposed to eliminate.
See here https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/have-you-heard-the-s4-s5-rumour.383799/page-22

And is why I went for the 2016 SQ5 with 3.0 litre twin turbo diesel: 326 PS @ 4000-4500 rpm with 650 Nm @ 1400-2800 rpm - and absolutely ZERO turbo lag; as for economy, anything between 45 and 17 (seventeen) on a regular 15-mile run... :racer:

Reactions: paul wev, NevMan and V6_Man
Funny how so many people on here aren’t bothered by the Tesla (self included), all said about the exhaust noise being half the fun of a petrol car... now Audi are throwing Diesel engines in the S cars

Very few positive vibes in the forums about it. May attract new customers I guess looking for a "performance" diesel.

TX.

Reactions: NevMan
Very few positive vibes in the forums about it. May attract new customers I guess looking for a "performance" diesel.

TX.

I can’t imagine they’ll sell many to be honest, and if they do they’ll probably be company cars...
There’s no denying it’s fast, same as Tesla, but there’s a reason car enthusiasts are called ‘petrol heads’ not ‘diesel heads’
And the fake exhausts make me want to throw up, any car with fake exhausts should be set on fire

Reactions: Terminator x and NevMan
The new Audi S4 has been fitted with a diesel engine which to some of you may seem unfashionable but on Audi's part, it could be an inspired move. The new S4 has been refreshed with revised styling, improved tech and a new enhanced infotainment system. The new diesel engine is a 3.0 litre turbocharged V6 and backed up by a 48 volt electrical system. This 48 volt system enables a mild hybrid system which features an integrated alternator starter and a 0.5 Kw lithium-ion battery and the end result is is 342 BHP and a mega 700 NM of torque. Outside the S4 gets the same updates as the rest of the range so it gets reshaped headlights, a lower wider grille, a re profiled shoulder line and new taillights. You also get 19-inch alloys and a body kit for extra muscle. The interior is lovely as always with Audi's and the virtual cockpit looks sharper. The S4 starts at £48,000 with the Avant pushing £50,000. For an extra £1,500 you get the black edition which changes the exterior trim.

Seeing as we've debated this to death in another thread I am rather surprised to see a new one stated.
It isn't about the exhaust noise either if you look in there, road tests of this, and other Audi S cars, have identified turbo lag, which the electric compressor, Audi claim, is supposed to eliminate.
See here https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/have-you-heard-the-s4-s5-rumour.383799/page-22

Seriously, a new thread, started by a MODERATOR.
The current thread has gone 22 pages, to date. If you like, you may prefer to continue the other thread, which has currently 5 pages.
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/new-my2020-facelift.382405/page-5
Commonsense would be to arrange this thread to be incorporated into one of the two existing.
At least that would save posters regurgitating.

Reactions: Kondax