handbrake wont hold

rockwell21

Reaction score
Hi guys

Iv got a problem on my a3 8p, the handbrake isn't holding the car. I fit new cables a couple of months ago because one snapped, it was fine up until this weekend. the handbrake itself seems ok, there's resistance when I pull it up and it "stops" in the same place it used too. I checked the adjustment screw under the centre console and its flush up to the metal t-piece with the handbrake down... But it isn't holding the car? I noticed the pads were close to the limit so I swopped them out on Friday but it didn't make a difference. Any ideas, anything else I can check? I'm guessing its a case of swopping the callipers but I want to be sure before I get the wallet out.

My hand brake didn't hold too the other day, had a right good roll down the hill :/ I don't know what's up with mine either, sometimes it's perfect and doesn't budge and other times the car will roll! Maybe mines stretched? Are the adjusters on the back? Sorry I'm no help for your car

have you checked the rear calipers to see if the lever for the handbrake is fully releasing ? .also the cable could be too tight ,thus not allowing for the lever to go fully back ,this will prevent the rear brakes from self adjusting .

If you only replaced the cable recently, maybe it needs readjusting as they can stretch slightly when new until settled?

have you checked the rear calipers to see if the lever for the handbrake is fully releasing ? .also the cable could be too tight ,thus not allowing for the lever to go fully back ,this will prevent the rear brakes from self adjusting .

Thanks for the reply. Iv just been out and slackened off the adjuster. then I checked to see how far the caliper arms were moving when I moved the handbrake up and down. The near side seems to be moving a lot more than the offside so I'm guessing the self adjuster is seized. Iv sprayed it with wd40 and left the handbrake off, I'll see if it moves. do you know if these can be stripped down or is it better to just swop out the calliper?

yes the caliper can be stripped ,be careful you dont nip the seal . but maybe as quick to get hold of a good second hand /new one depending on the cost and swapping it.

Reactions: rockwell21
I know you all know this but never, ever, rely on only the handbrake. Put into park or 1st gear if manual.
Hot cailpers, disks, shrink down as they cool and they can fail that way too.
With Audi/vw, do not do up the front cable adj pass where the arms on the calipers do not sit right back when cable released or brakes will run hot.

Image1459368127934770

I learnt this the hard way last week