Facelift Golf R VII FL Slower than the old one?

trappyj

Reaction score
Yes I Know this is an Audi Forum…

Before I ordered my S3 I was seriously considering waiting to order the new Golf R when it came out. I’m now very glad I didn’t.

Am I looking at the specifications correctly?? The 0-60 is now 5.1 seconds opposed to the old 4.9 even though the engine is 310ps with a 7 speed DSG along with this the engine is not as efficient as the S3 and produces higher Co2 emissions; I assumed it would have the same performance as the FL s3. Didn’t the pre FL S3 and R’s have identical performance?

Also don’t like the look of the new searing wheel and their version of the VC, I don’t get why would anyone choose this over an S3?

0.2 is nothing in the real world.

Perhaps emissions are higher due to previous manipulation of figures!

Reactions: Joe4842, lledwoc and Mark_86
The biggest thing the Golf R had as an advantage over the S3 was in the handling department.
Doubt that will have changed in the facelifts.

Volkswagen decided after the emissions scandal to review the way they are homologating their vehicles. You will notice that the VW motors now consistently have worse consumption figures than their Audi counterparts. That is true for the diesel as well as for the petrol engines.

As for the acceleration figures, it might be the same. Pretty hard to get the 4.6 seconds out of the S3 in real life...

I thought Acceleration, CO2, and emissions were all provided by third party tests so wouldn't VW just have to publish those figures? And if so why would they make them worse than they actually are, just doesn't make any business sense?

My main point is the last engine in the S3 , was basically the same engine as the R; whereas the fl S3 and FL R seem to have completely different engines. Well apart from them both having 310ps and a 7 speed DSG/Stronic gear boxs

I couldn't comment on the handling of the R as I've never driven one; All I can go on are the reviews all all comparing the pre FL S3.

I've read that the handling on the FL S3 been improved?

It's not correct it's 4.5 or 4.6 I've went from a mk7 r and it's all over the vw forums

Last edited:
Someone has had a mair on the VW uk configuration site then.

IMG 1707

Reactions: azibux1 and Marky-s3