Going To Replace my RS3

MBK

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Today was a fun day. A friend of many years came to an event I was running today and agreed to bring along her, yes you read that right, GTR. This GTR is a little special too, running the Litchfield Stage 4 620 bhp upgrade, Y-pipe and louder exhaust, improved discs and pads and a great choice in Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres.

It's been poring with rain here all day so just a quick snap of the cars together.

I've only experienced the GTR on track at Silverstone before but that was with a helmet on and in the unnatural world of a wide open track. This was my first longer on road experience. We took the RS3 out for a blast first, my car is running perfectly at the moment, it has just got better and better over the last 2000 miles or so. Nia (the GTR driver) enjoyed drving the RS3 with it's APR Stage I goodness and the mighty AP stoppers reigning everything in when needed. Despite the weather traction was perfect and we were able to get a few good bursts of acceleration on the wise open roads in these parts. Nia doesn't hang about and we were able to get a nice little neutral slide on a wide roundabout exit to induce a fit of the giggles for both of us.

The GTR is something else. The thunderstorm of noise on start up just gives a taste of what follows. To give an idea of the difference I couldn't hear the ticking over RS3 when the GTR started up. Slot a gear and whines and clanks greet the request (I didn't notice these on track) as first engages. It took just the first 10 feet of the RS3 test drive to know it was the car for me and now I can say the same for the GTR. Even at 30mph the GTR feels fast, it's a real experience to sit in and as you'd expect it gets attention everywhere you go, it is an imposing machine. Ride quality in comfort is fine, about the same as the RS3, though the GTR seats are a little more comfortable than the Audi buckets so that might account for the similar feeling. The exhaust noise is clever too, when cruising or coasting the GTR exhaust noise is quiet, though the gearbox clunks and whines remain. Even on a light throttle though the GTR makes more noise than the standard RS3 exhaust at full wail. You could never describe the GTR as relaxing but I think that's the point. By comparison the RS3 is pure refinement. Even the fastest gear change in the RS3 isn't one tenth of the thump of the GTR change. As for wet grip well it's fair to say the GTR has quite a bit more than the RS3.

Now the RS3 is still a special place to sit and wins the interior quality contest but I also love all the technology in the GTR, all those screens and readouts just appeal to the inner child in me. Yes there are downsides, the GTR is too big and the RS3 would be more fun on a b-road. The running cots of the GTR are high and it screams look at me to the subtlety of the RS3. The engine and transmission noise are raw and unfiltered. Yet all those are also reasons that I absolutely love it, it is properly mad.

I'm glad I avoided a longer road GTR experience until now because it extended my time with the RS3 but now when the right deal comes along a GTR with a few choice modifications will be my next road car for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: I oOEddOo I, DieselJake, T-800 and 6 others
What a BEAST that GTR is..... I don't need to say anymore than that... lol!

Reactions: MBK
Superb Mark... Enjoy! :applaus:

Thanks John, I suspect the RS3 will still be around for the Audi Driving Experience next year but even if not we will still be coming along anyway.

Reactions: MB RS3
I just cant stand the way GTRs look and the interior is not my cup of tea, but each to their own :beee:

I keep wondering about a GTR myself, but I like to drive my car every day and that isn't realistic with a GTR. So I have avoided any test driving as that would be too dangerous!

As a weapon, these cars are amazing, but for me its just 'too jap'

As you know Mark I've owned a few GT-Rs including the 550 bhp 12 MY and love them but as an everyday useable Car I do find them very difficult to live with As well as the Hard ride (although ditching the run flats I've heard improves that) Other difficult thing I found coming from something the size of an RS3 is how much more room you need when Driving/Parking I think it is one of the Cars ever pistonhead should own before Dying but not sure how long you'll want to keep one as a Daily Driver.
Trouble is I keep reading threads like this and was thinking I'll keep the TT-RS and go for a remap but you've got me wanting another one now lol

Just noticed Car you tested had already ditched run flats so explains why you didn't think the ride was any harder than the RS3

Last edited:
Reactions: 45bvtc
It will be a shame to lose you Mark, but you have to follow your heart!

Don't worry Neil, we'll not be that fortunate to loose 'im :blownose: he's just off dipping his foot in someone else's water :crying: the other man's grass an' all that silliness that goes with the 'youth' :jump: I remember so well :whistle2:

Mark's been on this GTR road for so long now I've a headache :search: so he's just gotta get on and do it! :w00t:

He'll not be far away I'm sure :shutup2:

Reactions: MBK, DAYTONA 500, wickedstef and 1 other person
GT-R does cost almost x2 as much as the RS3.. it's bound to be better by all means..

To some.. if you were to say you own a Nissan they'll considered it to be a Datsun...

A great word "weapon" with which to describe the GTR Nick... :iagree:

Reactions: klauster
Prefer something bit more understated.. like an Audi RS4 :)

I just cant stand the way GTRs look and the interior is not my cup of tea, but each to their own :beee:

Nick, I can understand that view completely. I grew up in the Scooby and Evo era so I just love that sort of thing but as you say beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder.

Reactions: 45bvtc
As you know Mark I've owned a few GT-Rs including the 550 bhp 12 MY and love them but as an everyday useable Car I do find them very difficult to live with As well as the Hard ride (although ditching the run flats I've heard improves that) Other difficult thing I found coming from something the size of an RS3 is how much more room you need when Driving/Parking I think it is one of the Cars ever pistonhead should own before Dying but not sure how long you'll want to keep one as a Daily Driver.
Trouble is I keep reading threads like this and was thinking I'll keep the TT-RS and go for a remap but you've got me wanting another one now lol

Just noticed Car you tested had already ditched run flats so explains why you didn't think the ride was any harder than the RS3

Thanks, all good points, always good to hear from those who've owned a car. I agree I won't be using the GTR as a daily driver I will run something small and economical alongside it. I've done that before with track cars and it works well.

Before the GTR can arrive I've got a couple of things to sort first, most of all the garage door so that both cars will still fit comfortably in the garage.

I agree with you though there is nothing quite like a GTR, and a bucket list machine, it's a totally different experience.

Reactions: Moschops and 45bvtc
Don't worry Neil, we'll not be that fortunate to loose 'im :blownose: he's just off dipping his foot in someone else's water :crying: the other man's grass an' all that silliness that goes with the 'youth' :jump: I remember so well :whistle2:

Mark's been on this GTR road for so long now I've a headache :search: so he's just gotta get on and do it! :w00t:

He'll not be far away I'm sure :shutup2:

Thanks John you make me feel good when you call me a 'yoof', true enough I will never grow up.

After discussion with the missus the GTR purchase is approved but that didn't take much persuasion - Nia the GTR owner is her friend too and sold her on the idea as much as I did (a useful tactic!). The more interesting comment for this forum was "can I have the RS3 then?" After driving the RS3 yesterday and seeing her friends positive response it seems she's found new love for the 3. So you know the RS3 might just get to stay as well!

Oh and just for Nick and tee-bee my dads response was also "why not just buy the RS6 instead". Trouble is the GTR :yum: just stands out as far more special to me...oh sorry John forgot the headache :doctor:, it'll be over soon! :yes:

Reactions: Moschops
"So you know the RS3 might just get to stay as well!"

That's NO surprise Mark, EXACTLY as I'd play it: GO for the GTR experience by ALL means but HOLD ON to that red-beastie if you can/just-in-case; the Audi RS3 as we both know will take some beating as an everyday, all-weather, discreat, piece of machinery. :zen:

Don't ya just love 'em!

P1010879xx_zpsfabf122a.jpg

PS: Dad might be right about the RS6 but if you've a car that does everything without the need for driver input and reward then you might just as well let someone else drive : :search:

Last edited:
Reactions: Moschops and MBK
If you want to talk to anyone about the GTR's, give one of my friends, client & GTR owner who knows Litchfield very well, his latest GTR has been & still is afaik, used for R&D for the mega upgrades & think iirc, his is in the 750 plus bracket these days, user on here called Adamantium, nice bloke.

Thanks, 750bhp wow, I won't be going that far but it's good to know you can! It's useful to know what others recommend and with the Litchfield upgrades the warraties they sell are good for peace of mind and from what I hear they can and are regularly called on to sort out problems.

Thanks, 750bhp wow, I won't be going that far but it's good to know you can! It's useful to know what others recommend and with the Litchfield upgrades the warraties they sell are good for peace of mind and from what I hear they can and are regularly called on to sort out problems.

closer to 900 now.

fitted the first ever Borg Warner EFRs to a GTR a few days back.

900 isn't close to high power for a GTR but none of the others have this close to stock spool.

Reactions: NHN and MBK
That must be one incredible machine! I love this Chris Harris video where he has the 750bhp GTR and even Harris is slightly scared! I'm not sure I'm good enough (or have deep enough pockets) to handle a monster like that on track or at least to do it any justice.

As there is an Audi in it I feel ok adding this here.

Last edited by a moderator:
The numbers quoted thee were slower than I achieved on a vbox with identical mods.

2.6 and 5.5.

The top power guys are now sub 2 to 60 and sub 4 to 100. Standing mile crossing the line at 250 mph.

These are drag cars though which ruin the essence of a gtr.

2.6 and 5.5 are frankly beyond my current imagination. 3.7 and 9s from the RS3 still feel fast to me. I'm looking forward to this new adventure sounds like it will be fun.

I do love the RS3. I bought a TT roadster because I can't leave Audi as a brand. Just couldn't justify a TTRS though I love the engine. Quattro was a must so in order to get a reasonable seconds hand price I ended up with a TTS. Not complaining, except for the lack of response from the s-tronic.

I have a 3.0 TDi quattro q5 s- tronic and the car picks up speed much faster. Am not talking about turbo lag, I expect that. It just doesn't gather speed quickly after touching the throttle. Even if you floor it the drivetrain seems to take ages before the road speed climbs. Roundabouts are terrifying.

That's not good, the stats for the TTS look good, not too far off the TTRS. I haven't driven a TTS so can't really comment. I know I find the missus Civic Type R draining to drive these days with its lack of low down torque and therefore needing to be in a lower gear ready for the opportunity. Sounds like the TTS is similar and the Q5 has plenty of low down torque to avoid the problem. I noticed evo didn't think s-tronic was suited to the V8 R8 but they love it in the V10, could be a similar problem.

£69,500 spent on mods in 26 months :faint:. No question for £20k that would be an incredible track toy but it has the same basic problem as my Evo IX, Scooby and even more so the RS3 - they weigh quite a bit and as a result do through tyres and consumables like discs and pads quickly, especially running that sort of power. I'd think you'd want another £20k contingency fund for things that might go wrong. It will be a lightweight toy for me because, yes they do go wrong but they are cheap and mostly easy to fix and consumables can last a full year rather than 1-3 sessions. I loved my R26.R and if Renault ever build an RS265.R my name will be on the list for sure but until then lightweights it is.

Good find though and if anyone is brave enough to buy it I'll happily have a go in it!