Going to look at this S3 today.... Any opinions / tips?

Schlaag

Bwah
Reaction score
Hi guys. Long story short.... we've been using a 2001 1.8T A3 as a second car for train station runs and the odd evening / weekend jaunt and have loved using it. Unfortunately we were only looking after it for family and are giving it back in a months time.

So we've been looking at getting similar to replace it and I stumbled over the S3. Quite tempting!

I'm arranging to go and look at this car. I was just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of it at all in the S3 community?

I have read the buying guide and there is a lot of great info there! But is there anything major I should 100% check whilst viewing? I remember when I bought my E46 M3 7 years ago I literally waded through information and checks!

I know its a cheap car so i'm not looking for perfection, but still don't want to purchase a total money pit.

Any help in making a list of absolute things specific to this model to check would be greatly appreciated, i'm no stranger to cars like this so do understand that some things are more important to go over with a fine toothed comb than others.

thanks in advance all :)
Dave

Described as:

"Here we have for sale my 2001 Audi S3 which has been very well looked after, I have loved this car but now company car forces sale. It has full black Recaro leather interior which is in fantastic condition, the seats are also electric. New 6 months tax Xenon headlights, CD multichanger, near enough new MOT with both rear springs replaced at the time, recent Audi recall for all 4 coil packs carried out, cambelt with stamp to prove, service history, 2 keys. First to see this will buy"

2001 AUDI S3 QUATTRO BLUE | eBay

Hi dude. Welcome to asn. Youl find lots of good info her.

Id suggest checking out the stickies as im sure theres a s3 buying guide in there. Aswell as alot of age related problems to look out for.

Main things to look out for are the haldex system has been maintained and in working order, try to avoid long life service scheduled cars, check if and when the cambelt and waterpump has been changed and if theyv had the oil pick up pipe un blocked. If the seller knows nothing about the above then id take that cost into consideration.

All in all these are bang on cars, with maintenance not costing that much compared to its piers.

Also that car looks nice and tidy, going for about the going rate these days, tho there are cheaper examples out there.

Good luck Ad.

*edit: just looked at your profile, member since 2007 with only 2posts lol :stealth

Hi mate, thank you.

I've just had it hpi'd and it looks like its an import... if that's an issue. Im guessign not so much as long as its an EU one and not from outer Mongolia!

Looks like there is an outstanding finance error aswell.. the hpi is linking the reg to another car ( a renault) !? Bizarre!

Hi mate, thank you.

I've just had it hpi'd and it looks like its an import... if that's an issue. Im guessign not so much as long as its an EU one and not from outer Mongolia!

Looks like there is an outstanding finance error aswell.. the hpi is linking the reg to another car ( a renault) !? Bizarre!

Yes mate does seem abit dodgy, steer clear tbf, there are too many good examples out there to rush into buying a lemon. Have you thought about the leon cupra/ r or octavia vrs, all very good cars.

If there are issues with the checks, I would stay away to be honest mate, as already mentioned there are many nice examples available now at a good price too, dont get hung up on the first one you see.

Just a personal thing, but I hate it when an ad states the first to see will buy!!! ( I dont think so).

Hi Nilz and Ad.. the guy has just sent a portion of the V5 stating "declared new at first registration" he reckons its not an import.

The import trigger was from a friend who HPI'd it for me. she works at VW and the car isnt coming up on their system.

I just don't want to miss out on a potentially good / cheap car that is local for an hpi mistake / import error

There don't appear to be many not messed about with facelift S3's in kent for around this price bracket

Last edited:
Be prep'd to travel and there are good ones - there was an 01' facelift in silver on ebay last week (its linked here somewhere as i put it up for soneone else) for 3800 80k with only 2 owners. Looked mint but in Scotland.

Couldnt comment on the import thing but certainly unusual considering Japan, Aus and a few other far flung places are RHD.

On a side note, i cannot stand sellers who use all the cliches like ''1st to see will buy'' and ''regrettable sale'' ''genuine reason for sale'' and all that toss as thats how it reads imo - they have BS written all over them.

My view is that the ad is standard details, nothing enthusing about the car that would make me think it is enthusiast owned. A small detail, which was VERY important to me, was the availability of ALL keys 2 main keys and the spare plastic key - as small as this may seem, I think this is a discreet indication of how the owners may have looked after things and regard their posessions.

I also avoided long life service cars as, in my opinion, any turbochaged car deserves and should have regular oil changes regardless of what the dealers or service indicators say.

Martin

My view is that the ad is standard details, nothing enthusing about the car
Martin

But may also mean it has not been driven so hard.. ;)

BTW OP, can see from the underbonnet pic that it still has ID tag on underside of bonnet and warning sign on front bumper which always nice to see.

I drive an A3 that doesnt as i smacked the front end and bought a replacement bonnet which did not have the original ID stamped on it for obv reasons ;)

Bein a import does not say that on the v5 mate I went to see one in Stafford and found out that was and the fella knocked over a grand off the price for me to buy it and I still walked away form it I ended up getting one from Wrexham

Now this 2nd one looks alot better, pic 8 is very impressive, shows that it has been well looked after and regularly as well.

I know its slightly more, but you can see that its enthusiast owned and cared for.

I wouldnt let the mileage put you off, that is a minor thing nowadays, you have to take into consideration that some of the S3s are over 10 years old now and on an average of 10-12k per year, you will be looking for a car with potentially 1-120k on the clock easily, but as stated if its been looked after and serviced etc regularly and you continue to do so, you could easily get another 10 years out of that car with 10k a year on it.

There is another thread running at the mo about high mileage cars, have a look into that if you are worried about mileage, as that will defo put your mind at rest.....VAG cars are only running in at the 100k mark...lol :)

Damn right Nilz... HPI came back clean as a whistle and the owner just called me and sounds a very nice genuine guy. Fingers crossed it doesnt go before I get to see it!

Excellent news, good luck and let us know how you get on :)

That dolphin does look like a nice clean example, good luck and hope its a good'n!

That dolphin does look like a nice clean example, good luck and hope its a good'n!

Agreed but not for that money, after waiting for months and months mine only went for a £500 more

What would you guys say a fair price would be..£3700??

Dont be put off by milage. I've seen S3s with 30 something thousand miles on that are 10 years old with no belt changes and in worse condition then 150K milers :faint:

Good luck

Yep, low mileage is no longer the sign of a good car now that cars last longer and don't wear out after 70k. Mines on 147k now but doesn't look it or drive like it.

Really close to selling it now though because I know once I hit 150k + no one will ever buy it :(

The prices these cars sell for over there in the UK is ridiculous! I paid £18000 here in Norway for my 2002 AMK with 91K miles on the clock. Good condition, but still..... Could get 3 for that price in the UK! :banghead:

Surely would of been worth to get one imported...? That's mental!? I'd hate to think what an r8 would cost

Surely would of been worth to get one imported...? That's mental!? I'd hate to think what an r8 would cost

Import is not cheaper, because of the BHP tax we have, so this car is not good for import. An R8, brand new hottest edition, will set you back £285.810 - and that's before any extras. That's mental for you :sadlike:

18k! I'm going to convert mine to LHD, sail to Norway with it and sell it over there!

65-70% is taxes though, so you would still have to sell it for 5-6000, the rest is state gold.

The base prices of cars, before taxes, is actually quite good over here, because we have so high taxes... It's a progressive tax , calculated from ccm, bhp, CO2 and vehicle weight. So fun cars become expensive very quickly. And we get useless Norway-only models like Skoda Superbs with 1.4 diesel.... cheap by our standards, but merely a car pr. definition.

Deposit placed! Now an S3 owner (well will be next weekend)

Deposit placed! Now an S3 owner (well will be next weekend)

:icon_thumright: Nice one! It's identical my my S3.

6953269208_683b803c24_z.jpg

It needs new pads and discs all round really imo.... hmmm... AP or Brembo's for the front!?

It needs new pads and discs all round really imo.... hmmm... AP or Brembo's for the front!?
I chose Brembos only because APs were a longer wait,a few just upgrade the pads and discs and lines

Thanks guys.

Is there a specific Brembo caliper that fits directly to the hub with std sized discs? I dont really want to go down the bigger wheels and rotor + bell route

I havent had much time to do much research yet... this was a v quick impulse buy.

I guess I could keep it simple and just replace discs, hoses and pads.

Perhaps a suspension freshen up too... oh god its starting!

Thanks guys.

Is there a specific Brembo caliper that fits directly to the hub with std sized discs? I dont really want to go down the bigger wheels and rotor + bell route

I havent had much time to do much research yet... this was a v quick impulse buy.

I guess I could keep it simple and just replace discs, hoses and pads.

Perhaps a suspension freshen up too... oh god its starting!

lol mate yes once it starts it never ends , there are specific kits for it Awesome - Brembo Gran Turismo Brake Kit - S3 Quattro 1.8i 20V Turbo 1999-2006

i personally bought them ,.... Awesome - Tarox 6 Pot Big Brake Kit - Golf 4 Platform : 323mmm

however im sure you can find LCR calipers on ebay but yes it will be bigger discs etc.. however you can easily fix the any fitting issues with wheel spacers....

concerning suspension the guys on ASN seem to love the Bilstien/eibach B12 kit Awesome - Eibach/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit - A3 (8L1) 09/96 -> 05/03 S3 quattro im aiming for that myself too :p

by the way not sure if you've got the car with you at the moment, and your looking and upgrading already ... typical symptoms of the ASN disease muhehe !! lol

Last edited:
Thanks mate, I had my m3 a month and already fitted eibachs and ap 6 pots up front and 4 pots on the rear! I'll never change!

Thanks mate, I had my m3 a month and already fitted eibachs and ap 6 pots up front and 4 pots on the rear! I'll never change!

nice my first mods are always wheels, brakes, suspension then bring on the power engine wise :p