Future models will have options activated at the dealers.

Jcbmally

Started with nothing & still have most of it left.
Reaction score
@Sandra @Bristle Hound not sure if this should be thread specific so please move it if required.

So, keep getting calls from the Audi dealership regarding new cars they have in stock but nothing floats my boat.
But what was more interesting, once we got chatting about lack of/wrong options on the cars they have, he stated that soon ALL new cars, that leave the factory, will have ALL options fitted to the car and it will be the dealer that will activate the options ordered/required at the workshop.
I did say that many tech savvy individuals will be able to activate many options at a smaller cost, he agreed but then stated that if they got through the security codes, any option activated by third parties will NOT be covered under warranty.
I enquired about the physical options such as mag-ride wheels and privacy glass, he stated certain "mechanical equipment" will come from the factory already fitted. I even discussed cameras and he stated fitted at the factory but activated at the dealers. My reply was ********, why would a manufacture add extra equipment (if not required by the owner) that would effect the WLTP . At this point he made a bit of sense as he stated it would be cheaper doing it that way rather than testing thousands of model combinations.

So basically anything that can be "coded" via PC will be activated at the dealers, his reply ? YES
He didn't tell me when this was being introduced but he did say "in the near future".

Don't shoot the messenger guys but I thought it was an interesting conversation to share.
Anyone else heard similar ?

Reactions: Invicta, dp_motley, Ormesome and 3 others
The way I see it , surely this would give dealers scope to throw in extra options by way of a discount . Ergo , they may not be able to knock five grand off the car but could activate say two grands worth of extras.

Electronically codable options make sense to be preinstalled in my opinion. I can see the logic .

Sent from my Nokia 8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan and Jcbmally
Doesn’t surprise me. It started a while back. CarPlay used to be a £250 option on the a6. The hardware was exactly the same as one without CarPlay and dealer can activate on payment.
We are in the digital age now.
New cars have screens to control everything. So things like heated seats, the elements will be there but if you don’t pay for the button to appear on the screen it ain’t gonna work.
Makes manufacturing a lot simpler as almost every car will be the same.

Reactions: Jcbmally
The way I see it , surely this would give dealers scope to throw in extra options by way of a discount . Ergo , they may not be able to knock five grand off the car but could activate say two grands worth of extras.
Electronically codable options make sense to be preinstalled in my opinion. I can see the logic .

TBH if they are pre installed I'd want it all activated, some dealers are open to "easier" haggling than others.
Doesn’t surprise me. It started a while back. CarPlay used to be a £250 option on the a6. The hardware was exactly the same as one without CarPlay and dealer can activate on payment.
We are in the digital age now.
New cars have screens to control everything. So things like heated seats, the elements will be there but if you don’t pay for the button to appear on the screen it ain’t gonna work.
Makes manufacturing a lot simpler as almost every car will be the same.

I agree with the "coded" equipment, the wife had an A1 and wanted to get the satnav activated, £500 *** to plug up to a PC.

Presumably a new build would still need to be factory ordered with the options required to be activated stated on the order form, this will keep the original spec correct and the price the dealer is charged for the car.

Just going to active my 19" wheels get the VCDS out
:blow:

Reactions: TomBlueS3, sve170, voorhees and 11 others
I'll be honest, I foresaw this becoming the future, it makes allot of sense tbh, not good for retrofitters, however its evolution.

Reactions: Jcbmally and Scotty75
Like to see fit a sport exhaust, BIGGER ALLOYD and a pano roof via a PC lol

Reactions: sve170, TYb, BarryG79 and 5 others
If the manufacturer just adds all the equipment to there cars, then every car will look the same surely?

So take the S3. All cars will now have to come with S/S seats if you want them or not. Pan roof, if you want it or not. Extended leather, and all other heaps of options that maybe people don't want.

This will make the cost of building the cars more expensive for the manufacturers too, so the cost of the car (for people who wish to buy, not lease) will rise meaning that people will be forced into PCP deals when they'd rather not.

Seams crazy to me. And I can't see how allowing people to spec different wheels, seats etc has an effect on the WLTP rules, as surely it's the emission's of the engine that is being tested, and not tested with different options fitted?

Ah........ That's how you got Porsche Voodoo Blue ....... Activated via PC

If the manufacturer just adds all the equipment to there cars, then every car will look the same surely?

So take the S3. All cars will now have to come with S/S seats if you want them or not. Pan roof, if you want it or not. Extended leather, and all other heaps of options that maybe people don't want.

This will make the cost of building the cars more expensive for the manufacturers too, so the cost of the car (for people who wish to buy, not lease) will rise meaning that people will be forced into PCP deals when they'd rather not.

Seams crazy to me. And I can't see how allowing people to spec different wheels, seats etc has an effect on the WLTP rules, as surely it's the emission's of the engine that is being tested, and not tested with different options fitted?
As mentioned, mechanical / body work / seating extras will be via order at factory . OP refers to electronic type options .

Reactions: sve170, NevMan and Jcbmally

Wheels do have an effect on emissions especially now with wltp. On my last a6 the road tax band went up by 1 band of you had 19s/20s.
Bigger wider wheels/tyres has more rolling resistance and can affect emissions.

Sport exhaust could be a valve in the middle and the coding will give you a button to activate it, sunroof as well. You might have the glass fitted but you need to pay for the button to open it.

This could help when choosing options to spec a car under the 40k road tax band to then be able to add options after registration.

Reactions: Bells and wab172uk
Sport exhaust could be a valve in the middle and the coding will give you a button to activate it, sunroof as well. You might have the glass fitted but you need to pay for the button to open it.
Never in a million years will they build external options on to their cars "aesthetically" for you to pay to use
Same can be said with MMI larger screens come at a premium, so what your saying is they'll fit all cars with the premium sized screens but you'll only be allowed to use 50% of the screen then you can pay extra for them to activate the full screen?

Reactions: sve170, Jcbmally, Phutters and 1 other person
Never in a million years will they build external options on to their cars "aesthetically" for you to pay to use
Same can be said with MMI larger screens come at a premium, so what your saying is they'll fit all cars with the premium sized screens but you'll only be allowed to use 50% of the screen then you can pay extra for them to activate the full screen?

I think my point is they will charge a lot more for cars as by default they will all be premium so no more crappy screens they will all be premium. Maybe the sunroof example was on the extreme side. The extra functions you want now will either be paid for upfront or by a subscription type service. It’s all ways to make more money.

This could help when choosing options to spec a car under the 40k road tax band to then be able to add options after registration.

I would doubt this will help with the 40k road tax band. If anything it’s Audi helping the tax man. No longer can you buy a low spec car and retrofit everything to avoid the premium tax. everything now will be logged and Audi will share that information with dvla so they get their cut.
Remember the day folk used to order a base SE spec and add like £20k options on to avoid benefit in kind, that got changed very quickly.

Seriously? You really think that?

I can do this now, this just makes it easier to do as it simplifies retrofitting. I am sure VW will be using this to increase their after sales profits too. This will not be just about the initial purchase.

How about pay as you go options?

I would doubt this will help with the 40k road tax band. If anything it’s Audi helping the tax man. No longer can you buy a low spec car and retrofit everything to avoid the premium tax. everything now will be logged and Audi will share that information with dvla so they get their cut.
Remember the day folk used to order a base SE spec and add like £20k options on to avoid benefit in kind, that got changed very quickly.

Your right rules may change due to this, meaning big changes ahead for the DVLA to make to be able to get their cut. Lets face it, its only been a handful of years that I have been able to drive around without a piece of paper stuck in the windscreen to show that I have paid my road TAX...

Well don't people do this with the MMI already? Well maybe not the same. But my A3 PFL didn't have the tech pack so the screen had big black borders and the quality resolution wasn't great. Idk if the tech pack screen was actually different, but there's no reason they couldn't use software to limit how much you see.. After all, I still had black borders and didn't utilise the entire screen.

Screenshot 20181116 12561901

Last edited:
Lets face it, they are doing this now; take the SatNav option mentioned above, Audi have been fitting the hardware for this in cars for years but you have to pay to enable it and this can be done after purchase. All this is doing is taking it to the next level and doing it on mass.

Manufacturers have got lazy since CarPlay and android auto came about. Why spend millions researching, designing and testing new systems we will just chuck CarPlay or auto on it and everyone will be happy. The big screen in the middle is becoming irrelevant as it’s the screen in your pocket that is most important.
It’s the new screen that controls climate, air con that’s relevant for car options. Software will give you heated seat button, drive select and a host of other stuff.
We are moving towards a kinda subscription based model already with lease cars. If you want a sunroof on your Audi it’s an extra tenner a month, big alloys £20 a month more. Lease cars have become more popular and with software controlled options it makes it easier on lease companies as they will order 20 cars and when the time comes they pay to get the different options activated. Lease companies are your big buyer of new cars not joe bloggs on the street so anything that helps their cause will help Audi.

All this is to stop the likes of VCDS end of, dipping wing mirrors etc etc, if they fitted all these option standard ready to be enabled this would then hike up the basic price of a car
All the important options will be priced and fitted accordingly
@Jcbmally this is 3rd/4th thread on this subject

Reactions: Jcbmally and Ormesome
All this is to stop the likes of VCDS end of, dipping wing mirrors etc etc, if they fitted all these option standard ready to be enabled this would then hike up the basic price of a car
All the important options will be priced and fitted accordingly
@Jcbmally this is 3rd/4th thread on this subject
The only way to stop VCDS is to step up the security to stop third party hardware/software from talking to the car, there is no need to do the above to prevent the likes of VCDS. The driver for this is cost cutting on the production and testing lines.

Manufacturers have got lazy since CarPlay and android auto came about. Why spend millions researching, designing and testing new systems we will just chuck CarPlay or auto on it and everyone will be happy. The big screen in the middle is becoming irrelevant as it’s the screen in your pocket that is most important.
It’s the new screen that controls climate, air con that’s relevant for car options. Software will give you heated seat button, drive select and a host of other stuff.
We are moving towards a kinda subscription based model already with lease cars. If you want a sunroof on your Audi it’s an extra tenner a month, big alloys £20 a month more. Lease cars have become more popular and with software controlled options it makes it easier on lease companies as they will order 20 cars and when the time comes they pay to get the different options activated. Lease companies are your big buyer of new cars not joe bloggs on the street so anything that helps their cause will help Audi.

Well I hope heating controls are not to be integrated into MMI, as having to scroll through different screens just to adjust the heating will only distract the driver from actually looking at the road.

Thing is now, they seam to think that all we want to do it scroll through an Ipad type system to control everything. I don't. I just want a button or a dial that's in easy reach, and not a distraction.

Manufacturers are already making our cars easier to steal, and now they seam hell bent on helping us crash them too.

Manufacturers are already making our cars easier to steal, and now they seam hell bent on helping us crash them too.

This is where they will sell you all the latest and greatest safety systems that aren’t standard like lane assist, auto braking, etc etc

This is where they will sell you all the latest and greatest safety systems that aren’t standard like lane assist, auto braking, etc etc

Autonomous cars here we come. The new A Class will actually brake and steer around a corner if it thinks you're not going to.

Imagine if you need to run wide on a corner to avoid a cyclist or something, and the car decides to brake and steer into them?

To be fair we are being sleepwalked into autonomous cars, and people are lapping it up. The way driving standards are these days, I can see why lots of people prefer the car to do the work.

For me. If you can't brake, steer, turn your lights on / off, accelerate, or keep in lane on your own without the car doing it for you, then you should have your licence taken off you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muttley75, Flying Scotsman and AlS3BE
The only way to stop VCDS is to step up the security to stop third party hardware/software from talking to the car, there is no need to do the above to prevent the likes of VCDS. The driver for this is cost cutting on the production and testing lines.

l am pretty sure they will stop all these penny pinchers VCD Modders eventually,but besides all of this nonsense.........if this ever comes around it wont be for at least another 7 years or more because the new A8 does'nt have any of this and that car gets all the high tech first...then its filtered down the model range

So basically this thread is based on Tripe

Well don't people do this with the MMI already? Well maybe not the same. But my A3 PFL didn't have the tech pack so the screen had big black borders and the quality resolution wasn't great. Idk if the tech pack screen was actually different, but there's no reason they couldn't use software to limit how much you see.. After all, I still had black borders and didn't utilise the entire screen.

View attachment 170066

Ye should have spent more on one mate and got the Technology package instead of going for a car with a Pauper spec..........lol

Unfortunately Insurance companies are going to love semi/fully autonomous cars. "You don't have auto braking and crash avoidance Sir"
Well guess what you are going to pay more for your coverage and on and on it goes for these nanny aids. I recently drove a brand new rental Volvo XC 60 whilst I was in the UK and it had all the bells and whistles. Three times it slammed the brakes on for no reason and one of those times at 70 mph on the motorway it slammed the brakes on and took over the steering, again for no reason. all of those actuations were for about 2-3 seconds for no apparent reason.
Software is software and is prone to faults, why? Because humans designed/engineered it and we make mistakes and the software relies on sensors which could be faulty and give erroneous commands.

Reactions: wab172uk
I think my point is they will charge a lot more for cars as by default they will all be premium so no more crappy screens they will all be premium. Maybe the sunroof example was on the extreme side. The extra functions you want now will either be paid for upfront or by a subscription type service. It’s all ways to make more money.

So what defines the Model designations....then Sport,S-line,S3,RS3... it's never going TOO happen....

I can do this now, this just makes it easier to do as it simplifies retrofitting. I am sure VW will be using this to increase their after sales profits too. This will not be just about the initial purchase.

Give over! You can only do this on small time stuff which at the moment are being given away in small increments to temp buyers. Never will they do it with large hardware accessories. If you think along these lines then you no nothing about the auto trade when they release model standard designations.

If l BELIEVED..everything any Audi car salesman has told me over the last 6 years and posted it on here.........then you would be justified in calling me a Nutter.......l even got told today Audi are no longer doing exclusive paint colours.............wish l had a fiver for every time i've heard that................but then again Audi are ******......atm and deservedly so......................

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BarryG79, Jcbmally, Bristle Hound and 2 others
l am pretty sure they will stop all these penny pinchers VCD Modders eventually,but besides all of this nonsense.........if this ever comes around it wont be for at least another 7 years or more because the new A8 does'nt have any of this and that car gets all the high tech first...then its filtered down the model range

So basically this thread is based on Tripe
Yeah they will make it harder but it's like piracy the race will never be won.

Something like this will come, its just a matter of time. Not sure if it would make more sense from a business point of view by putting this in the lower prices cars first mind.

Tripe, well it did come from a sales man!

Give over! You can only do this on small time stuff which at the moment are being given away in small increments to temp buyers. Never will they do it with large hardware accessories. If you think along these lines then you no nothing about the auto trade when they release model standard designations.
You got to remember how much they charge for the small time stuff. How much does it cost VW to buy the SatNav hardware they put into every car and how much do they charge for enabling it? Yeah there is the software development and licencing costs etc but you can buy TomTom for 70/80 quid how much profit do you think they make? A camera here and a sensor there, you are not talking mega bucks for them.

Reactions: Scotty75
I honestly can not see cameras, radar sensors, proximity sensors, wiring looms, etc. being installed on every model it would not make sense financially, unless governments state you must have these installed. Also no way are dealers going to install wheels, black optics, sport exhausts etc. There will always be factory options but more loaded two or three available standard factory specs for each model.

Reactions: Jassyo06
You got to remember how much they charge for the small time stuff. How much does it cost VW to buy the SatNav hardware they put into every car and how much do they charge for enabling it? Yeah there is the software development and licencing costs etc but you can buy TomTom for 70/80 quid how much profit do you think they make? A camera here and a sensor there, you are not talking mega bucks for them.

If that is the way you think then you are being delusional. Tell you what....go and get yourself the cheapest van that can be purchased by man and put a sat nav on the screen. Want a heater in it sir? That will be £40!