Fuel sloshing around in tank......?

westy_pj

Reaction score
I've had my 2004 PD130 sport saloon for about 6 weeks now and generally I'm very pleased with it....however...
When I fill up the tank and then get stuck in some stop / start traffic, I can hear hear the fuel literally 'thumping' the tank!
It gets better as the fuel level goes down and has pretty much gone when below half a tank.
Is this normal...or am I crap, jerky driver :think: (never had this problem in my previous two 3 Series' though :p )

TIA

:icon_thumright:

Good old james, say it how it is mate eh.:)

Ive never heard of that either to be honest. Get your mrs or mate to have a drive when its full next time to see if it is your Crap jerky Driving..;)

Im only kidding:)
Seriously though if your misses drives like mine it will sound worse.:sadlike:

My 2004 Tdi does it from about 3/4 tank downwards, and it frickin irritates the hell out of me, I think it may be more noticeable on diesels as the the fuel is thicker than petrol.???????:motz:

Yep. My 2004 130 also does it. I thought something was up with the rear suspension the first time I heard it.

My mates 1.9tdi does it too, on the rare occasions when the tight ******* fills up full tank. I think it's fairly common, as I've heard of this problem before.

Happens in my A6 1.9TDi, but only for first eighth of a full tank or so and its not really that intrusive.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Seems like it's a 'characteristic' of the car I'll have to get used to.
Either that or turn the stereo up a bit more...:rockwoot:

With regard the the wife's driving, it's not that she does it so well, but that she can do it at all.......:jester:

Cheers,

:icon_thumright:

Remind me not to buy a 2004 model diesel then eh...;)

Niknak said:
I wonder if there was ever a recall on this issue?

Audi UK are a bunch of tight sods, they don't recall anything unless it's dangerous.

The guys in the USA get much more in terms of customer service. Audi USA did a recall on coilpacks and fuel pumps to name a few. And most of the A4 1.8T owners I know get full leather, electric heated front and rear seats, electric rear windows, electric sunroof. It still amazes me that my Audi has got manual rear windows!

golf said:
It still amazes me that my Audi has got manual rear windows!

:sign_unfair: :iagree: I was also amazed that my A4 had manual windows!

And during this time, you think about.....

...winding windows?

What model is yours mate?? I thought you had exactly same as me??

Ive got rear electric, Only thing Im missing is Heated Seats!!:cold:

golf said:
Audi UK are a bunch of tight sods, they don't recall anything unless it's dangerous.

The guys in the USA get much more in terms of customer service. Audi USA did a recall on coilpacks and fuel pumps to name a few. And most of the A4 1.8T owners I know get full leather, electric heated front and rear seats, electric rear windows, electric sunroof. It still amazes me that my Audi has got manual rear windows!

Im genuinely shocked that you get keep fit windows in the rear.

Thats first on the shopping list then

Rear electric windows were an option on Standard and Sport specs. I think they came with the SE spec and also on all V6, V8 cars

Thread revival!

Just filled mine up a bit more than usual for the first time and noticed it was doing the same thing. Mines a 2002 Sport. Did anyone find out whether this is something wrong or just a 'characteristic' of the car...?

Thread revival!

Just filled mine up a bit more than usual for the first time and noticed it was doing the same thing. Mines a 2002 Sport. Did anyone find out whether this is something wrong or just a 'characteristic' of the car...?

Mine does the same (53 plate TDI) I think it has to be due to the design/shape of the tank which makes it amplify the sound of diesel moving around. I thought my exhaust or rear suspension was on it's way out when I first heard it!

Mine does the same (53 plate TDI) I think it has to be due to the design/shape of the tank which makes it amplify the sound of diesel moving around. I thought my exhaust or rear suspension was on it's way out when I first heard it!

Strange for an Audi to be doing this like! I'll just have to get used to it or keep my fuel below 1/2 a tank haha. Yeah it does sound like somethings bust the first time you here it!

Trust me that noise im getting seems like a thud on mine with the fuel also sloshing around. I dont suppose the actual fuel tank is moving. Is it?

Trust me that noise im getting seems like a thud on mine with the fuel also sloshing around. I dont suppose the actual fuel tank is moving. Is it?

Mine is more like a thud too I guess that's because diesel has a much higher density than petrol. If your fuel tank was moving or lose I would expect this to be picked up on an MOT pretty sharpish.

Ive got a pd130 2002 and I have the same issue, first thought it was something underneath the car or on the rear suspension. Until filling up more than half tank the noise changes lol.

Yeah mines a sloshing and soometimes a thud. Strange as it seems different people have it happen at different fuel levels...