Fuel Pump Can Follower Comparisons

prt57

Reaction score
Recently, I have changed the fuel pump cam follower on TTS and a TT. Both running a 2.0L TFSI engine. The TFS had done 20,000 miles and the TT had done 47,000 miles.
The photo below shows a brand new follower on the left, the TTS in the middle and the TT on the right. The TTS had a small silver line in the black coating but as you can see the TT black coating had worn away revealing the silver cam follower metal underneath. No visible damage to the cam shaft. Both cars are running standard fuel pumps and have had regular services.
So for total piece of mind I think the sweet spot is about 30,000 miles on a standard set up.

PS. Sorry about the typo in the thread title!

Attachments

• IMG_1323.JPG
    IMG_1323.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Reactions: Hookmonster
Thanks for the post. I replace mine every 10k miles without fail. It costs approx 20-30 quid from memory, which is peanuts compared to the damage it could cause. Im stage 2+ though, so perhaps this would be overkill for standard.

The up to date cost for one cam follower from Mike including a new pump o-ring seal is £39.60.

How much wear did you notice at 10,000 miles on your stage 2+ car? I assume you have an uorated fuel pump.

Last edited:
I've never heard of changing the pump o-ring seal before. Hardly any to be honest! But im the kinda guy to do something whether it needs it or not lol.

Yeah I've got a Loba.

As one of the cars is an '08 and the other is an '09, it seemed sensible to replace the seal as components do change with age and repeated heat cycles.
Last year, the cam cover gasket on my S reg Golf 1.8T decided to leak for no apparent reason filling the spark plug holes with oil and dribbling oil down the back of the engine. When I compared the gasket to a new one it had gone hard and crispy but it was after about 105K miles and 18 years. No warning, nothing unusual, it just started leaking.