Fuel Filler flap doesn't lock

Hiran Gadhia

Reaction score
I noticed yesterday that my fuel filler flap wasn't locked, even though the car was locked.

From my preliminary searches online it looks like it could be due to a faulty actuator/solenoid.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had experience with this problem, and if so is there a guide/tutorial to follow in regards to replacement of the part.

Any help is much appreciated..

Never tested (I always just leave it unlocked while fuelling up then lock the whole car as I walk away to pay)... but I imagine it might be that it locks after a few minutes which gives you time to fuel up? Have you gone back to check if it's locked about 10 minutes later?

Never tested (I always just leave it unlocked while fuelling up then lock the whole car as I walk away to pay)... but I imagine it might be that it locks after a few minutes which gives you time to fuel up? Have you gone back to check if it's locked about 10 minutes later?

Hi, Thanks for your reply..

Unfortunately this is not the case, as I've checked in the morning with the car being locked overnight and the fuel filler flap is still unlocked.

Reactions: azibux1
Hi, Thanks for your reply..

Unfortunately this is not the case, as I've checked in the morning with the car being locked overnight and the fuel filler flap is still unlocked.
Just a thought, when you lock the car how many times are you pressing the lock button?

A lot of makes of cars are 1 press = lock, 2nd press = deadlocks. With the Audi 1 press = locks everything.

I have the opposite of you in the sense that i have to unlock my car twice to make the fuel filler cap unlock. Even if the whole car is unlocked, i still have to press the button again to make the flap open. Apparently its common for the solenoid/lock motor to fail but i think the most common fault is that it doesn't unlock so people have to resort to pulling a cable in the boot. have you tried locking it a few times?

Reactions: davc
This was a fairly common fault due to solenoid failure on the 8P A3. Happened to mine, about 5 or so years ago, and was replaced under warranty

Reactions: Jassyo06
I have the opposite of you in the sense that i have to unlock my car twice to make the fuel filler cap unlock. Even if the whole car is unlocked, i still have to press the button again to make the flap open. Apparently its common for the solenoid/lock motor to fail but i think the most common fault is that it doesn't unlock so people have to resort to pulling a cable in the boot. have you tried locking it a few times?
Snap.

I had this last year and haf the solenoid replaced under warranty.

Funnily enough I was told the same thing and the part just happened to be in stock lol.

Reactions: Ormesome
Seems to be a common fault. Had fuel flap solenoid replaced under warranty. on 2014 pfl.

Must admit we half expected it to go - it became noticeably louder in the weeks before it died.

If it's the solenoid I hate to tell you it's a right **** on the 8V. Hopefully your car is in warranty.

I did it myself, but unlike older vehicles you can't access it from the boot compartment, but there are four embossed obrounds in each corner of your fuel cap housing, these are to be smashed (yes!) and then pried away from the vehicle. You then have to buy the plastic housing and refit that, and the whole process is fiddly as hell!