Fuel choice

Shell V-Power or a decent high octane if I can't get to Shell. Tesco Momentum 99 has always done me well over the years

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and Brasso
Costco premium or Momentum or shell high-octane depending where i am. Not religious about it though.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

BP Ultimate for the Nectar points :)

Momentum for me as it my nearest garage to home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
What has Audi optimised it for? This should be shown inside the fuel refill door.
There is no guarantee that the ECU will advance ignition to take advantage of a higher octane fuel.

The anti-knock sensor compensates both ways and will set both the ignition and the valve timings to what is appropriate...

This is what I'm trying to find out !

Look in the fuel cover door then :wink:
Mine says 95Ron, not sure who Ron is tho, maybe the person that originally ordered the car ... would be niced to say 95 Dave! :welcoming:

I used what's available on my travels, seems just as happy on regular or higher octane fuel so it gets a mixture of both depending on how I'm feeling on the day.

Extract from manual on petrol types:
Upload 2017 4 11 13 5 2

I use Morrisons cooking petrol, presumably the lowest octane. Car still goes like stink.

Honest John recommends Shell V-Power Nitro for all petrol's and car feels smoother and more responsive on the dear stuff.

Extract from manual on petrol types:
View attachment 122236

Interesting they say 95 RON is "premium". 95 RON is the minimum available in the UK, super unleaded / BP Ultimate is 97 RON and Shell V-Power is 99 RON.

Also, while Tesco Momentum is 99 RON, I wouldn't use it in any sort of performance vehicle. Was also advised to never do so by a guy who goes around testing pump fuel to make sure they are all above board for a living. He told me to stick to V-Power when I used to run an Evo, and avoid Tesco at all costs on such a car.

Reactions: RaZ A4
This is an age old argument really and maybe older more tuned cars will benefit from a higher octane, however modern petrol engines are unlikely to show any real differences
Honest John recommends Shell V-Power Nitro for all petrol's and car feels smoother and more responsive on the dear stuff.
For older tuned engines maybe but the ones we both have are very unlikely to have any benefits at all...

Reactions: RaZ A4
This is an age old argument really and maybe older more tuned cars will benefit from a higher octane, however modern petrol engines are unlikely to show any real differences

For older tuned engines maybe but the ones we both have are very unlikely to have any benefits at all...

I'm with you on this one for sure. I can see running higher octanes to get the most out of tuned vehicles but the engine setups and ECUs these days are really advanced and will generally have the same power regardless of octane used.

If you remap the S4 you might be able to see better gains using a higher octane as the boost will be turned up and therefore resist knock better at higher cylinder pressures without pulling timing and such wizardry to get the most out of it.

Reactions: cuke2u
I just chuck in 95 RON. I had a mk5 GTI and an S3 which were optimised for 98 RON but the S4 is fine for 95 so thats what it gets.

In the US of A etc 'regular' unleaded is 91, premium is 95 and super premium is presumably 98/99. But I think their 'RON' scale is also a bit different? Could be wrong on that. But either way the nomenclature is not relevant to the UK.

In the US of A etc 'regular' unleaded is 91, premium is 95 and super premium is presumably 98/99. But I think their 'RON' scale is also a bit different? Could be wrong on that. But either way the nomenclature is not relevant to the UK.

Yes, in the USA they use MON (Motor Octane Number) and we use RON (Research Octane Number).

Anyone want to take a pic of the inside of the fuel filler flap on a B9 S4 ?

Personally I've religiously only put in Shell V Power into my S3 Saloon (other than in emergencies when I slummed it with BP Ultimate). After I was blamed (long story) for my cylinder failure on my old MKIII Scirocco by the VW garage for not putting Super Unleaded in, I've been really picky ,and will be doing the same with my imminent S5. I don't think it's just the RON but also the additives that make a difference. Its the carbon build up that can kill the valves that you want to avoid. Just my 2-pence

Reactions: keenu
Here a photo of mine
75567203a0d9853f63e3d9ccfcb5bc3b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: cuke2u
This thread made me laugh :) Taking pictures of the inside of the filler flap? That's normal.. I'm just waiting for someone to start a thread on whether you should fill tyres with Nitrogen :)

Interesting they say 95 RON is "premium". 95 RON is the minimum available in the UK, super unleaded / BP Ultimate is 97 RON and Shell V-Power is 99 RON.

Also, while Tesco Momentum is 99 RON, I wouldn't use it in any sort of performance vehicle. Was also advised to never do so by a guy who goes around testing pump fuel to make sure they are all above board for a living. He told me to stick to V-Power when I used to run an Evo, and avoid Tesco at all costs on such a car.
That's just not right bud. There's nothing wrong with Tesco fuel and in fact iv had better results from Tesco 99 than the v power 99 and I work for shell. The Tesco fuel produced much less knock on the sensors.

Did you know blower has a shelf life as the adaptive goes off she make sure if your using it to use it from a station that sells plenty of it to make sure it's fresh otherwise your prob buying a lower grade fuel at a premium.

Did you know blower has a shelf life as the adaptive goes off she make sure if your using it to use it from a station that sells plenty of it to make sure it's fresh otherwise your prob buying a lower grade fuel at a premium.

You're saying Super goes off after a while or does this happen for all petrol types? I have to admit that I've never heard of this before.

V power does as it reaches the 99 from a adaptive that breaks down over a period of time. Tesco 99 has bio ethanol to make its numbers. All petrol can go off in a way but it's the adaptive in the v power that degrades.

Additive jes my new phone and the autocorrect are brutal changes words that iv even managed to spell correct.

Tesco 99 will drop off too they all will just in lead to believe the shell stuff does it quicker.

Reactions: Brasso and Dave70
Just got myself an S4 2018 just wondering if it reigns true to use premium fuel didn't realise Tesco's was so popular?