Front numberplate mounting

minimadmotorman

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got some pressed plates and plate holders for my car. The back one went on a treat using the original mounting holes (and a bit of double sided fixing pads) howver when I have looked at the front there are 2 self tapping screws in the front plate in strategic places not to interfere with the lettering.

Does the factory plate holder have standard fixing holes in them or will I have to re-drill it for the plate holders?

its a 2012 SB BE car by the way.

All help appreciated.

Cheers,
John

Use velcro! Used it on mine a have driven many thousand miles since. Never had a problem.

You can get the giant coins from halfrauds for about £3 for 6 sets, which gives you enough for 3 on each plate.

I've always used that 3m super sticky double sided mounting tape, nothing will remove it if you prep the areas properly, i.e. with metholated spirits

Double-sided sticky tape (the padded stuff) everytime.

Clean the number plate area on the bumper, apply the tape to the plate itself, remove the backing and heat with a heat gun (or hair dryer until it gets sticky), then apply to the bumper. Now as the bumper has a slight curve in it you will need to apply pressure at both ends to keep it there whilst the glue sets - not adviseable to use your hands unless you want to stay there for an hour or so. I propped some old tyres up against it and left it overnight.

Please tell me you didnt drill/bolt your newly pressed plates onto your car, that seems a little lunacy as the overall effect is to look better, 2 bolts on the plate make them look awful, even on standard plastic ones.

I always use double sided pads, never had an issue in years if you use the right stuff :)