Front Disc's and Pad's

S3 Vermin

Reaction score
Over the weekend I fitted some new EBC disc's and Red stuff pads to my S3, everything went ok and I took it for a spin on monday and they felt ok (I covered about 5 miles and didnt brake hard) but when I got home I noticed on both sides the pads dont seem to be braking flush across the disc's!
You can see on the disc's the pads are only making contact over 2/3rds of the disc face, and that seems weird is this due to the brakes not being bedded in and this is normal or is it down to the brakes not being fitted properly?
The only thing I can thing of is at what point you should fit the wire clip on the calipar before you do up all the bolts or after as I put them on after I did the bolts up.

Any help would be great chap's :salute:

:greyrs4:

you need to do more than 5 miles fella
pressed the pedal hard yet to fully push them?

did they sit squarely in the caliper when fitted?

Oh no I know they need to be driven on more to bed them in,
and yeah they sat in flush when I fitted them I just dont know why the whole pad is not on the disc's thats all?
Maybe I need to brake abit harder when im bedding them in!

I got the same, ebc turbo discs and yellow stuff pads.
I've driven them probably 300 miles, bedded them in as per guide, great stopping power but did notice they aren't wearning flat to the disc, the part of the pad towards out edge of disc has was more leaving a diagonal kind of wear.
Checked my back pads and they are the same even though they are stock discs and pads and been there for ages!
Guessing its normal? My braking performance is good so I'm happy!

Hi guys, I also replaced my discs & pads (front & rear as both needed doing) this weekend. EBC turbo discs & red-stuff pads on the front with EBC standard discs & red-stuff pads on the rear.

Stopping power is great (although only gentle braking so far) and no squeal at all (copper grease used on pad backing plates/caliper contact points. Front pads run completely flush to the discs, but the rear pads only contact 2/3 of the disc surface as per the posts above (the inner 1/3 is not contacting). Sliders are free & fresh copper grease applied. The old pads had also worn more on the outer edge than the inner edge. Therefore this seems to be normal. Anyone agree / disagree with this? I'm sure they're fitted correctly. Same effect on both sides of the car.

the pads to have a "chamfer"

ultimax_featuresandbenefits.jpg

is that what youre talking about?

No, not the lateral chamfers on the pad, this is obviously part of the pad design and the pads fit flush to the discs in this plane. I am referring to the alignment of the pad with the outer & inner radius of the disc. The outer edge of the pad (nearest the outside radius edge of the disc) contacts the disc, but the inner edge of the pad ( nearest the hub radius edge of the disc) does not. Does that make sense?