Front brakes chattering

Reaction score
There is an annoying chattering going on at the front. Everything has been changed regarding suspension and arms, drop links etc.
My local mechanic checked things out yesterday and the pads are basically chattering around. He suggested trying some new pads but do you guys think that would fix it or is it worth changing the carriers?
Thanks as always Mark.

As it's a very safety-related subject, Ild say that the pads need replacing.

I had a Trafic van not so long back and it had new rear discs and pads just before I bought it.
A few weeks later at MOT time, it needed new pads because they had not been fitted properly - they were worn as if they were kind of leaning at an angle to the disc instead of hitting it square on.
I've never seen anything like it, so new pads fitted and all well.

Saying that, I don't recall any chatter, but it was a van and French, so I might not have heard anything above the commotion that goes with TVP's! (Trafic, Vivaro, Primastars).

Last edited by a moderator:
There is an annoying chattering going on at the front. Everything has been changed regarding suspension and arms, drop links etc.
My local mechanic checked things out yesterday and the pads are basically chattering around. He suggested trying some new pads but do you guys think that would fix it or is it worth changing the carriers?
Thanks as always Mark.

Bit of an obvious one but they have the anti rattle clips in, yes.

Sorry if its too obvious but Robs talking about......

Caliper Pad Clip

Reactions: Charlie Farley
The discs and pads are in very good condition although I can't see the inner pads.
Are mintex pads ok? Seen some on ebay £32.

20190908 144722
20190908 144630

And more to the point, very surprised your mechanic missed it, not sure i'd leave my car with him .

Audi A4 S4 VW CC Golf Passat Front Anti Rattle Spring OEM ATE 4F0 615 269

one clip per caliper as they only go on the outside, just drop them a email to clarify if it's a pair or per single.

add on some weekend37 discount and they are £12.28 .

Yes mate, I've been moaning about this chattering sound since I bought the car in January!

rattling pads would not have effected the MOT anyway but the garage should have noticed the lack of clip straight away.

The difference is obvious, I just thought the calipers were actually different to my old 1.9tdi a4.

I have to say - I'm quite shocked that some idiot did such shoddy work that allowed someone to drive the car with the retaining clips missing.

*speechless*

The car has been like it for approx 12 months (500 miles).
I too find it astonishing how a "mechanic" can decide to omit a part on re-assembly.
The new clips arrive today so once fitted I'll update :thumbs up:

20190914 150443
Oh dear it's like driving a new car. Clips fitted and no more chattering, quiet as a mouse.

I don't give a toss about wheel cosmetics, I like the tyre more.
Apparently the wheels are novalari replicas off a golf. I am guilty of parking very close to the kerb though.

Reactions: CHEZ