Freewheeling/coasting then stop/ start engine

With respect I do not find it dangerous either as I haven't had the same issue at all and I find it odd that the engine stops when you've disabled the start stop as mine doesn't and why you feel you have to come to a full stop to restart when a slight 'blip' on the throttle restarts the engine when 'coasting' up to a junction. If I wish to drive in a more 'spirited' fashion and to anticipate spaces then I just use sport mode anyway.
There are just as many able to work with the systems as there are some who seem to be unable to adapt. The system is the same on the fl A3, the new A5 etc. and I don't see many complaints.

@ScottishA4B9 I am surprised you say this. I live and work in Milton Keynes, an area of many roundabouts, and dual carriageway approaches at 70mph, therefore the ability to quickly get into a gap is paramount.

At no time since owning the car, only 10 weeks granted, have I felt in any way concerned with the car at the roundabout. The engine is always running at speed as I am on the brakes. At less than a few miles an hour, the engine stops, but if I see a gap and know I need to aim for it, I prepare. Either knock into sport, or hit the down paddle, and the engine restarts in good time to hit the gap I saw in advance.

At no time have I had to hit the brakes mid pullout and manually restart the car, I don’t even understand why the engine wouldn’t restart itself. The laggy stop start as you put has restarted the car before I get back to the accelerator from the brake, certainly not laggy for me.

I believe there are more than enough safeguards in place to prevent what you describe from happening. Be it the sport option, be it the manual downshift or even thinking ahead a bit further. Mine is an auto, maybe that’s different to yours.

I would say though that my previous A6, which was a manual was dangerous. It used to stop totally at a similar speed, however lifting the clutch would restart the engine, but the revs would then be too low for a safe pullout. It was a diesel. Maybe therefore I have got used to pre-emptying the situation further in advance.

It’s just a variation to a driving style. With someone approaching at 40 or 50mph from right angles I need to know the car will go when I need it to, and I have absolutely no doubt in the technology of the A4, it just works (For me). Maybe if I get caught out one day, as you appear to have done, my viewpoint will change, but not yet.

You can turn off the intelligent coasting in the mmi as well as disable start stop, then none of this occurs. This to me though is like buying UHD tv to watch black and white. The car has the technology and I like to use it, not turn it all off.

We are all different though, all drive differently, have different expectations as to what is acceptable etc. Appreciate there are some complaining of the same issue, out of many thousands of cars on the road, probably a very small percentage. I still believe with appropriate adaption of driving style all will be good. After all, we are always adapting. Manual choke, no synchromesh gearboxes, no servo assisted brakes, no power steering etc etc, my driving style has changed multiple times over the time I have been driving.

Reactions: blackb9er and cuke2u
There are many posts on here and other websites about the damn right dangerous stop start! My car has done it from day one and I’ve even been in the dealership about it. It’s a common complaint they say! A press of the accelerator most definitely doesn’t restart my engine as you say!!
And it’s certainly not my driving style. I will definitely be looking at disabling it tomorrow via the MMI.

My driving style has certainly changed, first time ever I have owned a car with a stronic gearbox and have always sworn I would never change from a manual and considered the auto to be the devil's spawn. Then, perhaps, my age is also a factor as at 63 in november sometimes drivers of my age are often accused of being unable to adapt and could be confused by modern car technology.
But now? Wouldn't have it any other way love the response of the gearbox, its smoothness and ability to change gear at will and quickly.

I have driven a b9 diesel 2.0l with a manual gearbox for a week and a bit the only thing that concerned me was the amount of vibration that came through the stick and it's movement, definately no where near as good as the one I had in my A3. But the A4 never exhibited any issues at roundabouts or junctions and certainly was never dangerous.
Perhaps if you do turn off the freewheeling ScottishA4B9 it may change the driving characteristics of the car to your liking. I hope so...

I don’t have the intelligent coasting option! I only have the efficiency assist tick box which I have unticked. The is no option to go to intelligent coasting which is annoying!

@cuke2u The wobbling gearstick in diesels seems to be a fault with some. I don’t have any wobble with mine.
Not so much wobbling but intense vibration, perhaps it had a bad engine in need of a service as I could feel it through the pedals and steering wheel. Or maybe I just got used to the silky smooth 2.0l petrol...

There isn't an intelligent coasting option to tick. On my 2.0TFSI MY18 it's just there! Check in Myaudi app as I reported above to see if you have it.

SimonAshley posted a pic on how to find the option earlier in this thread.

I would suggest though that it only applies to autos. The reason being, it drops the car out of gear, or disconnets electronically the engine and gearbox, before dropping to idle or off. There is no way it could do this with a manual.

Therefore safe to say, the problems a few are experiencing are the manual gearbox version, and thus my solutions won’t work. Seems that little nugget wasn’t provided by those with issues. I would have thought nudging into sport, or flicking the down paddle would have given it away that mine is an auto.

I agree with a manual A6 it could catch you out, and some times a manual restart was necessary, seemed the electronics went into panic mode. That said, turning off the start stop and using dynamic mode cured all problems I had with the A6. In efficiency it could be dangerous as it was very keen to stop.

Wow that's different - Not too sure how much I would trust it in an emergency, but interesting concept. I wonder how much fuel that could save vs. the additional weight of that battery and control system?

I thought that with a manual, if the the engine stalled, or cut out, then pushing down on the clutch pedal will restart the engine. The A4 instruction manual certainly says as much and my A3 used to do this.

I thought that with a manual, if the the engine stalled, or cut out, then pushing down on the clutch pedal will restart the engine. The A4 instruction manual certainly says as much and my A3 used to do this.
It does.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Mmm, interesting as it was a feature of my car I particularly liked because the engine was so darned quiet at tickover I was easily stalling it. The press clutch to restart got me out of many a sticky situation.,

Hello chaps .... my first use of this site ..... weve just taken delivery of a brand new 2 ltr petrol TTS ... its a lovely car in all respects except it wiil not coast or freewheel when in Efficiency mode whatever we try unlike our previous Audi's and TTs with the S Tronic gearbox and as the owners manual states it should do ..... Weve spoken to 10 or 15 different Audi dealerships including the original supplying dealer and even Audi UK but not one of them can tell us if the car should or will coast ....... Any thoughts would be much appreciated ..... regards Chris .....

Yes this is meant to happen haha, I don't mind it to be honest. Firstly you can turn it off, secondly there's two methods. You can either turn off the "Intelligent Coasting" within the car settings or simply press the "Start/ Stop button" on the centre console.

Mine will still coast even when the stop/start is disabled via the button, this was in “auto” drive select too.