Flat Battery again

Phil-1

Regional Rep
Reaction score
Website
www.philseagust.co.uk
Last year I had to replace the battery on my 2013 2.0L TDI. I’ve had no problems unit this weekend when the car showed Low Battery on start up. I’ve checked it and it’s charging at 14.7v and after a run it will start without any issues. However this morning it’s done the same.
I’ve disconnected my Dash Cam as this is the only thing I think could be running the battery low but it should switch off when the battery gets to 12.1v

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds strange. Does the Dash Cam run when the car is switched off?

Sounds strange. Does the Dash Cam run when the car is switched off?

Yes. It only records movement until the battery gets to 12.1v.

I have unplugged it until I can check the settings.

Does anyone know at what voltage the warning comes on?

Had the same symptoms showing after my dash cam install. How bizarre.

In the winter, I have been advised to set the battery cut off voltage to 12.3 as the car need more juice to start up.
I ended up with new battery anyway and new alternator few weeks before.
Since all replaced, no issues.

Get your alternator checked, battery health also and set the dash cam cut off higher.
I had a guy scanning the car for eventual power related faults (none found) and electrical check (dash cam connection, charging+crank voltage and battery check).

Btw, do you do longer distance trips daily?
Maybe your battery is not getting charged enough?
14.7 is perfect charging voltage but the battery itself should have under 13v (12.8v if remember correctly).

Sorry, cannot help on lowest battery voltage.

Sent from H P20 PRO

Tbh 12.1 is cutting it fine, I'd have at 12.3-5.

What's the results after dashcam disconnect?

Did you register your new battery to car via software?

Hi Everyone

I left the dash cam off for 2 days without any issues. I have now set the cut off to 12.3 from 12v. The battery was replaced last year and charging system checked.

We don’t do the miles in it like we did, only very short trips now.

Dash cam is what is causing your issues, It's quite a sustained drain on the battery and if you aren't using the car daily and doing a decent amount of miles to recharge the battery it will cause the issues you sre seeing. Very common problem affecting lots of people with dashcams that continue to record after the car is turned off.

Tbh 12.1 is cutting it fine, I'd have at 12.3-5.

What's the results after dashcam disconnect?

The battery had been fine no issues.
I’ve now set it to 12.3v and am looking for a Cellink B battery for it

Had my dashcam on for two winters now, the power magic is set to 12v and never had one issue with only short urban journey's. Have more external lighting upon lock/unlocking than the A3 as well....

Open the bonnet & check that the battery is an 096AGM battery. If it is EFB or a normal 096 battery that could explain the reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Open the bonnet & check that the battery is an 096AGM battery. If it is EFB or a normal 096 battery that could explain the reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. Will check when I get back home. I’m working Way from home this week.

I’m sure it’s correct as my garage are very good.