Flareing brake lines

desertsage

Reaction score
Hello! I'm in the process of replacing just about everything in the rear of my 1997 A4 Quattro 2.8L 12v. While removing the rear lower control arms today I destroyed two brake line flare nut fittings. I had to cut the fittings off the lines that disappear up over the top of the rear subframe. There isn't a heck of a lot of room to work here but I am needing to put a new flare on the ends of these lines and then patch in a short piece to reattach at the flexible control arm line.

I've been looking into this and it would seem that the type of flare that I need is a "bubble flare". Is this true? I haven't flared a brake line in decades and am wondering if anyone has a favorite resource on this or could offer some advice. Could anyone recommend a flaring tool for this application that could be used in tight places?

I had though about bending in a pre-made line and attaching it at the next junction, closer to the middle of the car but who's to say that that joint won't be seized up too? I have a decent set of flare nut wrenches but even with days of soaking with PB blaster you can only put so much pressure on the fittings before they crumble.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

You can re-make the ends of the steel line if it’s in good condition still, but it can be fiddly, I did some work on my C5 before a trip to Scotland and came across this mess, not sure how it happened but it needed fixing, I managed to re-shape the steel line and put an end on it so I could re-attach the hose, I used a cheap flaring kit from eBay that I’ve had for ages, it works fine, a better kit may have been a bit more efficient, the hardest part iirc was getting it to clamp tight enough to stop it moving whilst putting the bubble flare on it.

1AF5179F 08F2 47F3 B57A D859AFB10E0F

A5D56E91 3F94 49DB 9FDD 5608D828242F

You can re-make the ends of the steel line if it’s in good condition still, but it can be fiddly, I did some work on my C5 before a trip to Scotland and came across this mess, not sure how it happened but it needed fixing, I managed to re-shape the steel line and put an end on it so I could re-attach the hose, I used a cheap flaring kit from eBay that I’ve had for ages, it works fine, a better kit may have been a bit more efficient, the hardest part iirc was getting it to clamp tight enough to stop it moving whilst putting the bubble flare on it.

View attachment 196006

View attachment 196007
Thank you! I'll see what I can find for a flaring tool and give it a go. Wow, you did have a mess to deal with. I'm amazed at the rusted parts in the rear suspension of my car. It has definitely progressed since I replaced shocks and brakes a couple of years ago. I had to cut the bolts of off the link to stabilizer bar last night and when I finally got the lower control arms out, the rubber part of the bushings were rotted enough that I could dig them out with a screwdriver. The metal parts look like a horror to remove.

I had an issue with seized fittings when replacing hoses on my MK1 track TT and had to buy a tool to remake ends .
https://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8988349#p8988349
Very easy to use and works very well. You are correct the flares on VAG stuff are DIN bubble flares.
Not SAE.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswag...e-3-16-Kunifer-Pipe-10mm-Unions/274006863629?
Thank you! This is great info. I will look for that kit here in the US.

I would love to have a TT! I am thinking of looking for a 2008 or newer 3.2 6 speed manual coupe.... some day.