FL RS3 Waterpump issue?

Bobwas4

Reaction score
~Hello everyone on Audi-sport, hope all is well?

I was out on a run at the weekend when all of a sudden I was told to switch my engine as there was no water.
I checked the expansion tank and it was quite a bit lower than min.

I topped up with water as that's all I had on me. and got the car home.
I since jacked the car up and took the under try off for closer inspection and found water marking on the try and sump.

I have assumed its the water pump looking at other people photos.

has anyone else on here had this issue with their rs3 8v fl?

the car has only done 7500miles. :(

~Hello everyone on Audi-sport, hope all is well?

I was out on a run at the weekend when all of a sudden I was told to switch my engine as there was no water.
I checked the expansion tank and it was quite a bit lower than min.

I topped up with water as that's all I had on me. and got the car home.
I since jacked the car up and took the under try off for closer inspection and found water marking on the try and sump.

I have assumed its the water pump looking at other people photos.

has anyone else on here had this issue with their rs3 8v fl?

the car has only done 7500miles. :(

There’s a bulletin on Erwin online about a water pump leak on the RS3.

You need to get it into a dealer ASAP.

yeh its booked in on Monday. :) so won't have a car for a while, the joys.

no I had to wait a month to book it in for a courtesy car. I said that's ridiculous!!! I literally have no car.

Simple solution, call the AA out with your free roadside assistance. Tell them your concerns and you’re too worried to drive it, they won’t want to risk you driving it... have the car recovered and they will get you a hire car totally free of charge from Europcar for the duration of the repair.

Important not to abuse the system but it’s an amazing one. They pay for taxi’s if they can’t get a car to you in time, deliver one to your door. I picked mine up once because I didn’t want to wait for delivery the next day (out of hours) and the next time they paid for a taxi for me to pick it up.

Reactions: nad
They gave me an old small engined diesel when my RS was in for the top mounts :tearsofjoy:

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

But better than legs, right? ;)

I’ve had a gold Astra Diesel, 1.0 EcoBoost Focus and an S3 twice. All down to insurance, we’re happy to give me the S3 one time then another it’s a different story, make it up as they go along.

Audi have their own cars on a fleet just for this, Europcar are responsible for distributing them across the UK.. so S3’s, S5’s etc are available (might have changed with the clamp down on emissions lately, Audi have permanently stopped their driving experience days here on out I suspect because of it). First S3 I had turned up and had been sideswiped, Europcar driver did it on the car park post!! Within 2 hours, in another brand new one fresh from its drive from Milton Keynes to Bristol as a new fleet car.

But better than legs, right? ;)

I’ve had a gold Astra Diesel, 1.0 EcoBoost Focus and an S3 twice. All down to insurance, we’re happy to give me the S3 one time then another it’s a different story, make it up as they go along.

Audi have their own cars on a fleet just for this, Europcar are responsible for distributing them across the UK.. so S3’s, S5’s etc are available (might have changed with the clamp down on emissions lately, Audi have permanently stopped their driving experience days here on out I suspect because of it). First S3 I had turned up and had been sideswiped, Europcar driver did it on the car park post!! Within 2 hours, in another brand new one fresh from its drive from Milton Keynes to Bristol as a new fleet car.

I bet they shudder when your number flashes up on their system

Reactions: Terminator x
I bet they shudder when your number flashes up on their system

Mine hasn’t been on there for a while I’ll have you know ;) 2 years in September since I’ve had any kind of car ;)

The RS, touch wood has been a good car.

Every dealer in South Wales shudders when they see my number or hear my name though, that will never change. I’m well known in the local centres service department, for mostly all the wrong reasons.

Reactions: Jonny B, DW81 and Terminator x
Mine hasn’t been on there for a while I’ll have you know ;) 2 years in September since I’ve had any kind of car ;)

The RS, touch wood has been a good car.

Every dealer in South Wales shudders when they see my number or hear my name though, that will never change. I’m well known in the local centres service department, for mostly all the wrong reasons.

All these winking emojis are quite unsettling.

Reports on another forum of them leaking too, no set mileage pattern either.

Replacement looks straight forward enough though

Engine mounts off (pendulum as well) then drop the gearbox side to rotate the engine allowing access to remove the water pump.

And before anyone says yes it’s the PFL engine but same layout applies.

Reactions: DW81
Reports on another forum of them leaking too, no set mileage pattern either.

Replacement looks straight forward enough though

Engine mounts off (pendulum as well) then drop the gearbox side to rotate the engine allowing access to remove the water pump.

And before anyone says yes it’s the PFL engine but same layout applies.

Sean does that video also apply to facelift cars?
For whatever reason I assumed the newer facelift car would be very similar to the 4 cylinder golf R engine, the reason being was solely on the 2 injectors per cylinder like the engine in the R.
As we all know water pumps on those are notorious for leaking and a huge job to replace.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sean does that video also apply to facelift cars?
For whatever reason I assumed the newer facelift car would be very similar to the 4 cylinder golf R engine, the reason being was solely on the 2 injectors per cylinder like the engine in the R.
As we all know water pumps on those are notorious for leaking and a huge job to replace.

Same layout on the water pump side Kev.

Don’t forget the block design hasn’t changed much.

The cam cover and PCV system yes that’s a big difference because it’s now outside the cam cover.

Reactions: Marshy
Here’s the two side on

47bbe31bd4a341395f42f1783ecc95b9.jpg

22be69748322e1d3e67926fd8b346f67.jpg

Reactions: DW81 and Marshy
Same layout on the water pump side Kev.

Don’t forget the block design hasn’t changed much.

The cam cover and PCV system yes that’s a big difference because it’s now outside the cam cover.
Never actually looked at one just in my head I assumed it was different.
Good to know though

Reactions: T-800
Never actually looked at one just in my head I assumed it was different.
Good to know though

It seems a very do-able job for the home mechanic Kev.

Getting the clearance is the biggest challenge.

But in that clip it can be done.

If the cooling system is as stubborn as some other vag cars to fill up then a Venturi pressure / vacuum filler would be needed.

It seems a very do-able job for the home mechanic Kev.

Getting the clearance is the biggest challenge.

But in that clip it can be done.

If the cooling system is as stubborn as some other vag cars to fill up then a Venturi pressure / vacuum filler would be needed.
Good to know Sean, let's just hope we never need to do it.