Fix it or leave it

msdmjb

Reaction score
2014 S3 3dr
Coming home last night had a car animal interface on the motorway at v. high speed which made an almighty thud (still have some animal smear down one side).

Damage seems limited to the plastic insert that is pretending to be cooling to the front brakes (i.e. side on to the front bumper there is 20-30cm single piece of vertical black plastic in front of the front wheel) and one of the front pieces of grill where a front foglight would usually go (i.e. missing a bit of the front honeycomb like plastic but some still remains so doesn't look too obvious).

Now assuming Audi will charge me a fortune for two pieces of plastic should i bother or just leave it a little battle scarred? Does anybody know if they are just push fit and locate using the plastic lugs or more too it?
The car lives in France so was expecting it to be dinged and dented but not like this! Still went like the clappers after the incident so comfy the car is fine and just cosmetic.

Thanks

Sounds like a relatively easy fix to me so I'd probably try and do it yourself if you can.

I would get it fixed personally. I noticed today there is a stone chip in the middle of my bonnet, not even done 1000 miles yet :(

Audi parts I find not too expensive. Bought a speaker grill for £8 the other day. It's labour that really bumps the price up so I'd get the part numbers and buy the parts and fit yourself

@msdmjb I'd have to find out the price of the part/s and try and fix it myself if I were you. Shouldn't think it'd be too much tbh.
@chrise What do you plan to do about your stone chip?

@chrise What do you plan to do about your stone chip?

I'm getting the car detailed in a couple of weeks so will just get it touched in before the car is sealed in 3x layers of Cquartz. It's annoying but not end of the world.

So spoken to Audi and £180 for a replacement lower side grill (i.e. both the missing bit which I have taken out but also the bigger bit around it with the honeycomb and chrome) and the little bit of side plastic pretending to be a vent which doesn't seem to bad.
Need to remove the undertray to fit apparently but heh ho happy to give it a go. Whilst looking a bit closer also noticed that underneath the front bumper the bumper is actually cracked so looking for a decent glue to just try and reduce any movement...........araldite?

Quite pleased actually as I hit it at well over 100 and there was an almighty bang so pretty impressive the bumper took the impact and the car is still as it was handling/performance wise.

Attachments

• IMG_0022.JPG
    IMG_0022.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0025.JPG
    IMG_0025.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 254
So spoken to Audi and £180 for a replacement lower side grill (i.e. both the missing bit which I have taken out but also the bigger bit around it with the honeycomb and chrome) and the little bit of side plastic pretending to be a vent which doesn't seem to bad.
Need to remove the undertray to fit apparently but heh ho happy to give it a go. Whilst looking a bit closer also noticed that underneath the front bumper the bumper is actually cracked so looking for a decent glue to just try and reduce any movement...........araldite?

Quite pleased actually as I hit it at well over 100 and there was an almighty bang so pretty impressive the bumper took the impact and the car is still as it was handling/performance wise.

Obviously you meant 100kph in case anyone should be in any doubt LOL.

Reactions: elpaulio
OK so after a couple of hours all fixed (should have been 10mins but was misdirected as told I needed to take the undertray off)
Levered the front grill bit off with a flat bladed screwdriver, took off the backing which confused me a bit as it is another plastic part that looks to help divert air around and popped the new one on. Glad it was my offside as my nearside has a small radiator behind it which I am sure would have taken some damage, bearing in mind mine is a LHD and therefore faster as it gets driven as only you can in rural Europe.

So all looking well again unless you look closely underneath the front where there is still a bit of damage but purely plastic and not viewable otherwise.

Attachments

• IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 194
What about the critter? What sort was it and do you think it's deceased?

Pretty sure, I was in Europe so the speed was well into 3 figures imperial, best guess that it was a badger and pretty sure it is deceased as it left a lot of it's internals sprayed the length of the offside of the car. I felt really bad for the animal (sod the car, just metal and plastic) but I guess better a dead animal that dead human...........depending onthe human of course!!
2am, middle of nowhere, multi lane, regularly drive 30miles on that stretch without seeing another car either way..............for example yesterday afternoon averaged 43mpg cruising to the airport, usually average very low 20s getting home!