First MOT at the dealers

Raul_sbd

Reaction score
Hey guys

Has come the time of the first MOT on my MY15 A3 tfsi. I though will be better to have it done at the main dealers, at full £50 price... they offer something called MOT protection on future MOTS.

Have anyone had the experience of having the MOT at the main dealers, how was it? Appart of the usual things tyres, lights ect is there anything else i should be checking for before i take my car in tomorrow?

Thanks everyone

You'll get it automatically . Just need to pay a small excess on future claims from MOT parts that fail. Usual stuff. As youve said lights is a classic. On a 3 year old car if you've not gone to the moon and back it should be fine. Mots are a bit more strict now with new laws. But a standard car should have no issues.

Had my a3 MOT’d at the main dealers. Only thing that came up was front tyre tread was low. They were charging £137 per tyre for conti contact sport 5’s 225 40 18 y. They had a price match deal on so I found some for about £90 each on blackcircles.com which they price matched and changed with no issues. This was last July. I think it looks better when selling the car aswell.

Reactions: Leevr
I had my MOT done last October at the dealers - alongside the service.
They always do a tyre check anyway and if you do need tyres, that’s one thing the dealers are usually competative on - though I prefer my local guy.
I had a chip on my windscreen and I popped into the dealers a week or two before to ask if it would fail MOT.
They said it was OK. Has since expanded and I had to get it fixed a month or two back.

My car is standard, no modifications at all. On regards the tyres still when i took my car in April for some Warranty work they wrote on the report that front tyres were at 3.8 mm... will they flag this up or still will pass the MOT?

All the rest seems ok ;) windscreen, lights etc...

I am cautious as in the past with my VW polo I did my first MOT at the dealers and was flagged up that the orange colour at the indicator on the side mirrors was fading ... after a chat with their manager they rectified.. (I believe all was as that MOT was free of charge and they need to get the money from somewhere)

If worried, ask for the free health check before your MOT.

I get my MOTs at the dealer (VW though) but I check locally and see what garages are doing offers and ask them to price match which they do .
You should try this ,they can always say no.

I will ask them if they can price match Halfords.. they do £29.99 atm

My car is standard, no modifications at all. On regards the tyres still when i took my car in April for some Warranty work they wrote on the report that front tyres were at 3.8 mm... will they flag this up or still will pass the MOT?

All the rest seems ok ;) windscreen, lights etc...

I am cautious as in the past with my VW polo I did my first MOT at the dealers and was flagged up that the orange colour at the indicator on the side mirrors was fading ... after a chat with their manager they rectified.. (I believe all was as that MOT was free of charge and they need to get the money from somewhere)
Normally if they are 3mm or below they will mention it to you, try and get you to part with your hard earned cash. but you have till 1.6mm to save up.

I’m pretty sure that they measure the tyres anyway and report the depth whatever.
My fronts were under 3mm but they only mentioned them. I co less than 1K per month so there was plenty of wear left.
There was no pushing to replace at all.

Silly question now.. and sorry for my ignorance. This is just a question for users with Automatic.

I have been given an A6 Tdi 190 quattro auto as courtesy car.

The car is really nice but for the sake of it i cannot get use to the auto gear change.

The guy at the dealers told me to do not press the brake.. just leave it on D and drive. It has happened when arriving to traffic lights with D engaged that i have press the brake to stop the car and the car have stop to halt very aggressive, making it dangerous for the car that was on the back.. so the only way I have had to go over this is before arriving to a traffic light to put it on N and then press the brake.. surely is another way to stop the car at traffic lights..

I know I will get use coming from a manual (its my first few hours with the car)... but how do you do when getting to a traffic light?? you all go to N level?

You don't have to use N at all while normal driving, just press the brake pedal the required amount to slow or stop. Autos are designed to sit for prolonged periods in D. Only go to N or P when fully stopped and your not planning on moving off again for a while or if your doing something and may be distracted. Braking in an auto is more fierce due to not having a lot or any engine braking. It would appear by what your saying that your just pressing to hard on the brake. Unless of course the courtesy car brakes have a problem. But I doubt it.

You don't have to use N at all while normal driving, just press the brake pedal the required amount to slow or stop. Autos are designed to sit for prolonged periods in D. Only go to N or P when fully stopped and your not planning on moving off again for a while or if your doing something and may be distracted. Braking in an auto is more fierce due to not having a lot or any engine braking. It would appear by what your saying that your just pressing to hard on the brake. Unless of course the courtesy car brakes have a problem. But I doubt it.

Thanks Leever,

Maybe i was just pressing to hard on the brake.. but definetly was not a good feeling when the car was stopping suddenly only by pressing the brake on D... nearly 2 cars come on my back.. so thats the reason i decided bfore arriving to the traffic light shift to N and then press the brake..

The guy at the dealers made it very clear... do not press the brakes.. it doesnt need to.. which left me a bit surprised thinking how the hell im going to stop the car then. (Im sure i will get use today just in time i get back my manual A3 from the MOT)

the guy at the dealer needs shooting. braking is needed, just differs scenario to scenario. the cars gearbox is designed to keep moving the car forward while in D or S. just like a manual box if your in gear itll move you forward. its the throttle pedal that makes it go faster. sorry for the suck eggs part. use the brake as you see fit and dont listen to the dealer or youll end up crashing or causing a crash.

Reactions: Raul_sbd
I will have another go at it later on... im sure when i will get used to it i will not want to give it back. Its so nice that enginee on sports really quick ;)

I will have another go at it later on... im sure when i will get used to it i will not want to give it back. Its so nice that enginee on sports really quick ;)

When driving an auto only use your right foot, so accelerate and break with the same. Your not attempting left foot breaking are you?

Maybe i did when it happened.. haha its been over 20 years driving a manual ;)

Reactions: TYb
Maybe i did when it happened.. haha its been over 20 years driving a manual ;)
Easy mistake, assuming you are right hand drive only use your right foot when driving an auto. Your left foot will be so used to pushing hard down on the clutch.

That will be it... many thanks for the advise everyone.. and again sorry for my ignorance ;)

That will be it... many thanks for the advise everyone.. and again sorry for my ignorance ;)
No worries, if you’ve never driven an auto it’s an easy mistake. Now go out and put it through it’s paces...

Are you sure the dealer didn't say keep your foot ON the brake at traffic lights, otherwise the car will creep forwards if you don't apply the handbrake.
The easiest mistake for an inexperienced auto driver is going to change down and stamping on the brake pedal thinking it's the clutch.

Are you sure the dealer didn't say keep your foot ON the brake at traffic lights, otherwise the car will creep forwards if you don't apply the handbrake.
The easiest mistake for an inexperienced auto driver is going to change down and stamping on the brake pedal thinking it's the clutch.

I have now master it! only use the right foot for both throttle and brake.. Its a pleasure to drive this car the A6 190 Tdi quattro... pity have to go back.. haha

Reactions: Matt Titanium and TYb