Finally the wait is over....but now I'm not sure

Single Frame Grill or Current

• Total voters

COLDSTEEL

Reaction score
I've waited, saved, test drove, researched, researched more, religously monitored this forum and drive the deal and tomorrow I am due to meet the dealer to get a brand spanking new motor (Sportback with some extras that no one has ever driven apart from that lucky bloke who drives them out of the factory and onto Santa's car transporter!).

But now i'm not sure and I need some help deciding.

Why are you not sure? What makes you uncertain after all this time and all your research ?

Quite a few people will have already driven the new car even if only for a few hundred yards each...

From the production line to the storage area, from the storage area onto the train, from the train to the docks, from the docks to the boat, from the boat to the docks, from the docks to the storage compound, from the storage compound to the transporter lorry, from the transporter lorry to the dealers compound, from the compound into the workshop for the PDI, out for a test run to check everything is OK.

But you'll be the first to actually own it and drive it because you want to rather than as part of you job.

Enjoy it.

I will be ordering the car tomorrow and this is what I have decided on and what the wife has let me have.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/heart.gifAudi A3 Diesel 5Dr Sportback 2.0 TDi Sport /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Standard Options /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

3 spoke leather sports steering wheel
17" 5 Arm design alloy wheels
Height adjustable drivers seat
Height adjustable passenger seat
Matrix design fabric upholstery - We have not decided on colour yet.
Non smoking pack - A3

Optional Extras /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Interior light pack
Polished aluminium roof rails
Rear carpet mats
Rear window and rear side window blinds
Symphony ll radio/cassette + 6CD autochanger
Pearlescent Maritus Blue Paint
Acoustic parking system - rear
Aluminium Medial Inlay
Open Sky sun roof

I must say that all the advice and comments on this forum have created the specification you see above. I would like other options such satnav (I have a tomtom system) and blue tooth (not many people ring me)and the real good alloys the 17" 16 spokes but I prefer the 5 arm they look quite hard!

I will let everyone know what happens after 9:30am ish tomorrow.

Why the doubt? What else are you considering?

Right now I've got a brand new BMW 320d SE (E90) sat on my drive. It's another weekend demo that I forgot to cancel even though I've already ordered a Sportback and curiosity just got the better of me.

When it arrived I thought, oh no, this is really going to take the shine off the imminent Sportback arrival. I fully expected to have to swallow my pride and accept that I should have waited and ordered the new BMW.

And I have to say the BMW has stunned me. I can't think that I've ever been so underwhelmed by a car. If this is "the ultimate driving machine" then clearly I'm looking for the wrong things in a car. Sure, it looks nice (although it looks like a Honda Accord at the rear) and yes, it handles superbly when you drive it hard (much better than the A3 or A4). But - I don't want a white knuckle ride every day. The interior is plasticky and nowhere near as attractive as the Sportback. The cloth seats in this demo model are already starting to "bobble" and this car is an 05 reg with 1000 miles on it so it can't be any older than 6 weeks! The diesel engine rattles when idle - it's noisier than my current D5 Volvo and if it does 0-62mph in 8.2 seconds then I'm doing something wrong because it doesn't feel that fast (although increase the revs and the engine does sound much smoother).

Most embarrassingly when it was delivered at work I saw at least two people mouth the word "t w a t" as they drove past rather than the envious or approving looks I had anticipated.

To be fair it has a few nice features like the keyless ignition, can cooler in the armrest and the "overtaking" indicators that give three quick flashes of the relevant indicator lights if you flick the stalk but these are not enough to really set the BMW apart from the competition. And of course I'm primarily comparing against a Sportback rather than its intended competition (although I've had an A4 2.0 TDi S-line out recently too).

It'll be interesting to see if I can work up the enthusiasm to take the BMW out tomorrow or whether I'll stick with my existing S60 and I mean that in all sincerity.

Each to his own, I guess, but I do feel smug about my choice.

Audi's also have the 3 flash indicators, so decision made for you really. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif To be honest, I was over the moon when realised the new A3 had that trick. Loved it in my dad's A4. Very sad, isn't it.

The "****" business is what really puts me off BMW (oh, and the stoopid prices and the ignorant dealers). Otherwise I wouldn't mind owning one at all. I actually like the current designs of all the models.

16 spokes on a 17" wheel would make the wheel look too small. The 5 arms you went for are nice.