Fault code advice

highlanderian

Reaction score
S3 revo 1, amk

Haven't had any warning lights on dash, but had the opportunity to have it scanned with vcds, feckkkkkk

3 codes came up, still without any engine warning lights.
P0011 ****** set point, I have noticed an oil leak in that area (could that be the issue)? and recently chain rattle on startup.
P0102 airflow sensor. Signal too low, intermittent.
P01602 voltage too low. ( could this be the maf)?

Desperate for help, why no dash warning light? What do I do?

Cheers for any help folks
Ian

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16395/P0011/000017
This is typically down to a faulty VVT tensioner... could also be a few other oil pressure related issues too... if leaking from the gasket then that could well cause low oil pressure in the tensioner

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16486/P0102/000258
Faulty MAF sensor

Can't find the PO1602 code... looks like a typo

You won't get a CEL from those codes typically... mainly as they can be intermitent so if the fault persists it may flash the CEL up then but I would clear them and see what comes back

<tuffty/>

What to takle first tuffty? Sump off to check pick up pipe, or valve cover off to check tensioner? Do I just buy a new one anyway? And replace the gaskets at the same time.

Thanks for the reply mate, you're like the patron Saint of s3 's lol

Is it safe to drive?
Also is it just likely to be the tensioner, or the vvt solenoid?

Cheers again
Ian

What to takle first tuffty? Sump off to check pick up pipe, or valve cover off to check tensioner? Do I just buy a new one anyway? And replace the gaskets at the same time.

Sump and pickup pipe is always a good idea as its a common issue and a good place to start...

Buying a new one is not going to be cheap so I would personally do the pickup first, clear codes and see if it returns... normally a failing tensioner has a distinct rattle as you roll off the accelerator on idle...

New tensioner will be 400+ from a dealer or 200 ish from somewhere like GSF

Fitting a new gasket may help... they are cheap (less than a tenner) but a little fiddly to fit... can involve lifting the inlet cam to get access but I have done them without doing this in the past...

Also is it just likely to be the tensioner, or the vvt solenoid?

Tensioner... not that it matters as they aren't available seperately

Thanks for the reply mate, you're like the patron Saint of s3 's lol

lol... not so sure about that... plenty I don't know... every day is a school day :)

<tuffty/>

Thanks again mate, I don't mind shelling out for a new one, for peace of mind.
I'll takle the sump and pipe over the weekend. I'll order a tool to replace the gasket on the tensioner. Fingers crossed tuffty, I'm thinking expensive lol

Tuffty, sorry to bother you again. Just wondering if in your opinion, the car is OK to drive, since it's intermittent?

Ian

Tuffty, sorry to bother you again. Just wondering if in your opinion, the car is OK to drive, since it's intermittent?

Ian

Have you cleared the codes to see if any return?

Low MAF is the more 'serious' one out the lot... would make the car feel a little down on power over all... you can pull the plug on it (which of course will throw fault codes and a CEL) to see if the engine perks up but I would clear codes, go for a drive (enough to get the car warm rather than round the block) and see what comes back... might need a couple of 'drives' for the codes to return...

<tuffty/>