Facelift Facelift - Order/Options dilemas - Anyone in same boat

evil_scooby

Reaction score
Looking to order a new RS3 Saloon and wonder if im having the same dilemas as others and how you fixed it. I miss my S4 and want to get back into Audi but never had the choice of a new one until now. Choices/Choices.

Sports Exhaust - Worth the 1k if it doesnt pop and bang on driving? Looks nice in black if you have the black gloss pack. Pops and bangs at idle. Will a remap fix it and are there any out?

Wheels - Not really a fan of the standard ones but frustrated the black ones put the road tax up by £400 a year! Annoying. Pay the £1100 or get aftermarket wheels and be a little unique, or get the standards resprayed for £250 to look like the black options and save £800 bucks.

Pano roof - Really wanted one in a car and never had one and thought it would complement the black pack, and it looks a fair size from the pics and on roof, but when inside and its open it didnt seem to let much more light or be much more spacious than a normal sunroof and its 1k. Has anyone ordered it? Also reports it adds weight and impacts car?

Mag ride - Think there was another post about it. Wanted it more to make the suspension softer for the normal commute but dealer was saying its generally to make it stiffer and quicker for fast driving rather than the option of both. Anyone used it on RS3 that could comment on comfort/bump levels as roads up here are naff.

Sports seats. Wasnt going to go with them as they are £800 and couldnt tell the difference apart from looks but the diamond stitching is nice. Is it a pain not being able to move the headrest up? Are they more comfortable/supportive. You would of hoped in a 45k sports car they would of been good as standard. Are they just like the S3/A3 leather seats if you dont go super?

Advanced key - Can you only order it as part of the comfort pack but not separate?

Hill hold - Do you still have to push it every journey or does it remember your settings.

Reverse Cam - Gimic or worth it in a car this size. Is the image quality good on the small screen? I assume it doesnt go into the Virtual cockpit these days and stays on main screen?

Colours - Still torn on Nardo but not in love with the blue for the £800 after seeing it (used to love audi blue), and although custom colours are nice, the price tags arent. Suppose you could always do Nardo until you get fed up then wrap it

My 2p worth:

Exhaust- Go for it, it'll probably pay for itself on selling the car in the future.

Wheels - I like the standards and would hate to pay the extra tax just for this option, your thoughts to have'em painted sounds good.

Sunroof - I'm a "SAD" sufferer, so I like the option of totally brightening up the interior at the flick of a switch if you so desire. Also glass is much easier to clean than cutting, polishing and sealing that expanse of roof paintwork.

Mag ride - For me a no brainer, purly for comfort mode as like you say the majority of roads leave a lot to be desired. You can always switch to dynamic if you are in the mood.

Seats - Even if they're a fraction more comfortable then its a no brainer as you are sat in the seat every time you drive, also the looks are important too as they are what you'll be looking at inside the car.

Advanced key - I'm happy with this option, having had it on previous cars.

Hill hold - It remembers the last setting. Switch on once and forget.

Reverse camera - When you've had a car with one of these, you'll not leave it off the option list on another!! No way you can back up to an object as accurately as you can with a reverse camera.

Colour - I like your thought on wrapping it later and confirms my thoughts on this fad with clear coated primer being for people who've not yet made their minds up on what colour they'd like the car to be ;)

As stated at the beginning these are just my thoughts. Regardless of what I've or others will say, its your brass, spend it how you want :)

7b07ff9a7fadeef50ab4261e3e90f7e6

Wonder how these would look on a Nardo Grey RS3 Saloon. Think bit nicer and make the car look a bit more unique. Could do the same 19" so you dont need new tyres, or put it up to 20s for a bit more impact

Great to hear hill hold now remembers the setting as that was annoying on my old s4 pushing it each time. Felt pointless.

The SAD sunroof was initially what I was thinking as so nice to get open space and light feeling. Just felt very small and not even to the edges

Looking to order a new RS3 Saloon and wonder if im having the same dilemas as others and how you fixed it. I miss my S4 and want to get back into Audi but never had the choice of a new one until now. Choices/Choices.

Sports Exhaust - Worth the 1k if it doesnt pop and bang on driving? Looks nice in black if you have the black gloss pack. Pops and bangs at idle. Will a remap fix it and are there any out?

Wheels - Not really a fan of the standard ones but frustrated the black ones put the road tax up by £400 a year! Annoying. Pay the £1100 or get aftermarket wheels and be a little unique, or get the standards resprayed for £250 to look like the black options and save £800 bucks.

Pano roof - Really wanted one in a car and never had one and thought it would complement the black pack, and it looks a fair size from the pics and on roof, but when inside and its open it didnt seem to let much more light or be much more spacious than a normal sunroof and its 1k. Has anyone ordered it? Also reports it adds weight and impacts car?

Mag ride - Think there was another post about it. Wanted it more to make the suspension softer for the normal commute but dealer was saying its generally to make it stiffer and quicker for fast driving rather than the option of both. Anyone used it on RS3 that could comment on comfort/bump levels as roads up here are naff.

Sports seats. Wasnt going to go with them as they are £800 and couldnt tell the difference apart from looks but the diamond stitching is nice. Is it a pain not being able to move the headrest up? Are they more comfortable/supportive. You would of hoped in a 45k sports car they would of been good as standard. Are they just like the S3/A3 leather seats if you dont go super?

Advanced key - Can you only order it as part of the comfort pack but not separate?

Hill hold - Do you still have to push it every journey or does it remember your settings.

Reverse Cam - Gimic or worth it in a car this size. Is the image quality good on the small screen? I assume it doesnt go into the Virtual cockpit these days and stays on main screen?

Colours - Still torn on Nardo but not in love with the blue for the £800 after seeing it (used to love audi blue), and although custom colours are nice, the price tags arent. Suppose you could always do Nardo until you get fed up then wrap it

Exhaust - Do it! Chances are on the used market people won't give it a second glance without the sports exhaust and Audi will struggle to sell it after you, you will get less residual value. The Sports Exhaust will pop more and has a raspier tone than the standard, there is a big difference.

Wheels - I chose the standard wheels and chickened out a week ago, added the Titanium. For a diamond cut finish it will cost you around £500 after the car arrives and it's never the same finish. The wheels have Audi Sport logos on, which you will lose if you paint them. You also get wider front tyres which will aid handling a lot!

Pano Roof - If you can afford it go for it, no better way to experience the noise.. I don't have it though.

Mag Ride - If you need comfort, go for it! I don't understand those who don't feel the difference, it's pretty brutal in Dynamic and as soft as a soggy sponge in comfort. I drove my granddads S Line and that felt bumpy and harsh compared to comfort in the S3, really! Mag Ride in comfort is softer than S Line suspension.

Seats - I would spec them, they don't feel a lot different (I am skinny) they are a little tighter with fatter boulsters but the design of them is absolutely stunning and a must. Lunar Silver is the way to go.....

Advanced key can be specced separately, but the comfort pack includes all stuff you need really. But I broke down the comfort pack, ticked all separately except for the Advanced Key and saved around £50. I chose to do this because this is the method they are using to steal most of the cars, mine will probably be one of the few that doesn't have keyless but oh well. Security wise, even Audi agreed.

Not answering the others because they have been answered already.

Colours - I've gone Exclusive, but had I seen a Nardo car in person before ordering I'd have picked it. The Nardo with BSP is stunning, it looks fantastic. Ara Blue is very light and what was a colour I loved, I've totally gone off since seeing it a couple of times a week in the work car park.

Wonder how these would look on a Nardo Grey RS3 Saloon. Think bit nicer and make the car look a bit more unique. Could do the same 19" so you dont need new tyres, or put it up to 20s for a bit more impact

Great to hear hill hold now remembers the setting as that was annoying on my old s4 pushing it each time. Felt pointless.

The SAD sunroof was initially what I was thinking as so nice to get open space and light feeling. Just felt very small and not even to the edges

They are 'cheap' wheels and chances are the quality isn't up there, I'd be sticking with genuine wheels for strength alone.

Wheels only add Tax in the first year as we are under the new rules now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheels only add Tax in the first year as we are under the new rules now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They don't even do that if your dealer forgets to add the £400 to the invoice ;) ;) I do like a c*** up.

Reactions: Phil3, Splathead and josedebardi
They don't even do that if your dealer forgets to add the £400 to the invoice ;) ;) I do like a c*** up.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, but I don't you'll find you've got away with this......... If they did try to enforce it at collection/payment time, I'm sure if you kicked up enough of a fuss they'd swallow the costs themselves, especially as you say you've had 0% discount.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, but I don't you'll find you've got away with this......... If they did try to enforce it at collection/payment time, I'm sure if you kicked up enough of a fuss they'd swallow the costs themselves, especially as you say you've had 0% discount.

I doubted it too, but suggestions have been made on here that the invoice is final. By the time they realise the finance agreement will be physical and the invoice price is final, it isn't my fault they messed up.

They have finally agreed to 'absorb' the cost of transport to my detailer an hour away.

They have finally agreed to 'absorb' the cost of transport to my detailer an hour away

I hope your there to witness this!!!! Visions of the apprentice being told nip that down to so and so :racer:

I hope your there to witness this!!!! Visions of the apprentice being told nip that down to so and so :racer:

Oh don't you worry about that! By transport costs I mean a single car transporter.

I have learned they have a 'PDI Centre', where I figure is where they send the minimally trained technicians to with no bosses and free reign. I argued with them and they have agreed that it won't be PDI'd at this centre, but at the actual Audi Centre. I asked them not to drive it because of it having PPF, but they said they must drive it. So before they do I will make them aware, if the car gets a chip I will reject it.. what's the point in £1600 on PPF if it gets delivered new having been repaired. If they still insist, I will be sat there for the PDI drive :) I'm not running my car in for somebody to have driven the living daylights out of it before I even collect it. I even told them I will accept it without fuel because I really don't want it driven.

I told them it won't be transported until I can follow it and see it being driven on and off at each end.

I've got all ends covered and the dealer hates me, haha!! Despite all this, they were surprisingly friendly yesterday.

I do have doubts about it being delivered to the PDI centre at all, so I will further argue that closer to the time or I will be sat there waiting for it!

Sports exhaust, yes. It does sound nice and if downshift crackles and pops are your thing, can easily be mapped in if you are heading down that path. To be honest, I think the facelift exhaust sounds perfect to my ears. There are some on here overreacting I feel.

Supersports, a must surely? It was the first option that had to be ticked on my order. These will have a resale premium like the exhaust too. Who would want an RS with S-Line type leather seats that are identical in the A3?

Paint, think you would personally regret Nardo in the long run, on dark days it looks good, on bright days it looks flat. It doesn't pop like some of the other Metallic/Pearl.

Pano roof, I specced my order without it, then changed it to include it, then received an email from Audi Tech Dpt saying that the weight penalty was 40kg so have had it removed again. It's weight in the wrong place, it raises the CofG and if like me you were wanting the look of the Pano roof, rather than the actual function of the Pano roof, get the roof wrapped gloss black. This was an option I've went back and forward with numerous times but the 40kg weight penalty was the kick up the **** I needed to remove it again. I'll be tuning this car so I want it as light and powerful as possible, the pano is unnecessary. In addition, its not a true Pano roof, it's just the sunroof, not full length like you get in some of the other cars.

Wheels, has to be done. The standard wheels are truly dreadful and look rubbish on any colour. You may just get away with them on a Floret silver car. Audinutta covered my thoughts exactly, you're paying for the wider wheels, the colour contrast/diamond cut and even the Audi sport logo. Spraying over the standard wheels then limits you to a fully sprayed wheel( no diamond cut contrast) it covers the audisport logo, is still going to cost you £300+, you'll still have the slimmer wheels too. The additional £400 tax may not even be applied by the dealer, I've read some are getting them at the £695 due to the system not automatically adjusting. However, this may just be wishful thinking, on car registration date, the dealer will be hit with the charge, do they absorb it, do they pass it onto you? On my order form, it auto updated the OTR price by £400.

Reactions: AudiNutta
Sports exhaust, yes. It does sound nice and if downshift crackles and pops are your thing, can easily be mapped in if you are heading down that path. To be honest, I think the facelift exhaust sounds perfect to my ears. There are some on here overreacting I feel.

Supersports, a must surely? It was the first option that had to be ticked on my order. These will have a resale premium like the exhaust too. Who would want an RS with S-Line type leather seats that are identical in the A3?

Paint, think you would personally regret Nardo in the long run, on dark days it looks good, on bright days it looks flat. It doesn't pop like some of the other Metallic/Pearl.

Pano roof, I specced my order without it, then changed it to include it, then received an email from Audi Tech Dpt saying that the weight penalty was 40kg so have had it removed again. It's weight in the wrong place, it raises the CofG and if like me you were wanting the look of the Pano roof, rather than the actual function of the Pano roof, get the roof wrapped gloss black. This was an option I've went back and forward with numerous times but the 40kg weight penalty was the kick up the **** I needed to remove it again. I'll be tuning this car so I want it as light and powerful as possible, the pano is unnecessary. In addition, its not a true Pano roof, it's just the sunroof, not full length like you get in some of the other cars.

Wheels, has to be done. The standard wheels are truly dreadful and look rubbish on any colour. You may just get away with them on a Floret silver car. Audinutta covered my thoughts exactly, you're paying for the wider wheels, the colour contrast/diamond cut and even the Audi sport logo. Spraying over the standard wheels then limits you to a fully sprayed wheel( no diamond cut contrast) it covers the audisport logo, is still going to cost you £300+, you'll still have the slimmer wheels too. The additional £400 tax may not even be applied by the dealer, I've read some are getting them at the £695 due to the system not automatically adjusting. However, this may just be wishful thinking, on car registration date, the dealer will be hit with the charge, do they absorb it, do they pass it onto you? On my order form, it auto updated the OTR price by £400.

I think mine is missing off of the invoice because they added an option code, which were the wheels. My dealer checked the brochure and added the price to the invoice, had they configured it then they would see the price hike. I plan on battling to get away with it, I will be very happy with the wheels for £695.

You can have the standard wheels diamond cut, but the finish is never the same as they are so sensitive to how they are cut.

However, this may just be wishful thinking, on car registration date, the dealer will be hit with the charge, do they absorb it, do they pass it onto you? On my order form, it auto updated the OTR price by £400

This is what I was afraid AudiNutta was going to come across and for sure the line the dealership will take is, "there is nothing we can do about it, it is the law of the land that the tax has to be paid". His task "should he wish to accept it" is to persuade the dealer to absorb it :)

Thanks for the comments.
Managed to get a good drive in one today on lots of road types and ended up buying!
They are so fast! Took my breath away a few times and im used to fast cars, so was well chuffed.

In the online configurator the tax does get added, for wheels, but agree in the first audi.de configurator in showroom, the tax wasnt getting added but we did talk about it and he said a few other customers were talking about similiar change as adding £695 to the price, bumped the OTR price higher than that on theirs and they were confused so it is happening but initial view on .de it didnt show on that. Very mixed bag. As its governement rather than audi I thought they would end up forcing it on the price.

Decided against the roof after seeing it again.
Decided for the sports seats after sitting in both and not really feeling held at the side and they look better.

They had a Nardo RS3 in the showroom with black pack so was good to see. Surprisingly shinier than I thought as I imagined you would get a reflective like shine when polished but you do, its just a different sort of look.

Car I drove also had sports exhaust and ended up going for it to even help just to match up with the rest of the Gloss black roof I was going for as well as the sound.

Reactions: Terminator x and AudiNutta
Thanks for the comments.
Managed to get a good drive in one today on lots of road types and ended up buying!
They are so fast! Took my breath away a few times and im used to fast cars, so was well chuffed.

In the online configurator the tax does get added, for wheels, but agree in the first audi.de configurator in showroom, the tax wasnt getting added but we did talk about it and he said a few other customers were talking about similiar change as adding £695 to the price, bumped the OTR price higher than that on theirs and they were confused so it is happening but initial view on .de it didnt show on that. Very mixed bag. As its governement rather than audi I thought they would end up forcing it on the price.

Decided against the roof after seeing it again.
Decided for the sports seats after sitting in both and not really feeling held at the side and they look better.

They had a Nardo RS3 in the showroom with black pack so was good to see. Surprisingly shinier than I thought as I imagined you would get a reflective like shine when polished but you do, its just a different sort of look.

Car I drove also had sports exhaust and ended up going for it to even help just to match up with the rest of the Gloss black roof I was going for as well as the sound.

Did you go for Nardo?

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, what is your previous experience with fast cars, to say it's that fast?

Do you mind if I ask what dealer you used please?

@audintta
"They are 'cheap' wheels and chances are the quality isn't up there, I'd be sticking with genuine wheels for strength alone."

What makes you say they are a cheap make? (im not sure/arguing they are or arent, but was curious if you had seen something saying they werent up to standard as a lot of manufacturers use third parties to make parts.
Their site and info on the web I saw says they are high quality premium product and show a lot of certificates proving they are up to a quality.

What makes you say they are a cheap make? (im not sure/arguing they are or arent, but was curious if you had seen something saying they werent up to standard as a lot of manufacturers use third parties to make parts.
Their site and info on the web I saw says they are high quality premium product and show a lot of certificates proving they are up to a quality.

Sorry was that directed to what I asked? Not sure I see the relevance in the cheap make part?

@audintta
"They are 'cheap' wheels and chances are the quality isn't up there, I'd be sticking with genuine wheels for strength alone."

Sorry was that directed to what I asked? Not sure I see the relevance in the cheap make part?

I just meant were you aware of actual concerns you had seen somewhere or somethign you knew, or was it a general feeling that they were cheaper in price than Audi wheels, therefore quality might not be the same.
I quite liked them as a viable option so keen to hear feedback if there was a worry

Did you go for Nardo?

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, what is your previous experience with fast cars, to say it's that fast?

Do you mind if I ask what dealer you used please?

True, suppose fast is relative.
Currently driving the supercharged S5, S4 B8 previously, Golf R, and some tuned cars like Subarus, so used to around 300-350bhp in a lot of cars and this felt a good bit quicker and more of a turbo rush feel

Most admit quite like these - where have you found them and what is the wheel specification you looking at?

Whats the wheel tax about cant see anything on my invoice or when i ordered they did not mention anything.

So my thoughts are:

Sports Exhaust - I originally specced my car without the sports exhaust - however the whole resale argument made me decide to go with it.

Wheels - I have specced the standard wheels. I may yet change them closer to the time however as things stand because they are not diamond cut it’s easy to repair if you curb it. And honestly if you really wanted the other wheels you could always order them separate (they are around £700 each) or as you said paint them. Yes you may lose the Audi Sport logo - or maybe you can get a decal. I think that as far as wheels go its down to your primary concern about looks and/or handling and budget.

Pano roof - Unless your racing on a track I think the weight debate is pointless. It makes a big difference to the interior. It feels more roomy and there is more light and from the outside it looks better. And lets not forget on a warm day you can open it up and enjoy extra fresh air. Having had 2 cars with pano roofs now I wouldn’t go without one, it makes a big difference. However your correct in saying from the interior it isn’t a massive opening.

Mag ride - I have this on my S3 saloon. I have not specced it on my RS3 order. I took an RS3 for a drive last week with the standard sports exhaust and it was fine. It was not too hard and it wasn’t too soft. If I had the extra budget I’d spec it but based on my drive I have no concerns or desire to add it. Your car will be fine without it. But find an RS3 with the standard suspensions and go for a drive! That’s the best way to know.

Sports seats - I have standard seats on my S3 but they are the alcantara seats and they look great. In my opinion the plain black leather seats look rubbish. I have specced the sports seats on my RS3 for the looks and also the fact they have lumbar control. Remember Audi do not include any manual Lumbar support at all on any seats.

Advanced key - You can order separate but I would just get the comfort and sound pack. It is a great feature just like...

Hill hold - I wouldn’t get a car without this. It makes a huge difference. But as other have said turn it on once and forget it.

Reverse Cam - Agree with others wouldn’t spec a car without a reversing cam - it makes it so much easier to park and see what is going on specially with an expensive car you want to keep looking great.

Colours - So I have gone for Nardo. Because its free. My S3 is Navarra Blue and I’d have gone for that except its an Audi exclusive colour for some reason on the RS3 and I am not paying £2,400 extra for that. I do like the Ara blue but I feel its too in the face. And I wonder if black (which would be my next choice) is really worth paying the extra for when Nardo looks good. My only question is does it look too racy or is it classy. I haven’t decided.

I just meant were you aware of actual concerns you had seen somewhere or somethign you knew, or was it a general feeling that they were cheaper in price than Audi wheels, therefore quality might not be the same.
I quite liked them as a viable option so keen to hear feedback if there was a worry

Ah right my mistake, that was a good few posts back. Only from the way the wheels looked, the wheels you can buy from Halfords and alike have their own kind of style (not saying they are Halfords wheels). I only expressed concern because of the weaknesses regularly pointed out with replica wheels... see video:

In summary, it was more of me saying they looked a lesser quality than that of a genuine wheel.

True, suppose fast is relative.
Currently driving the supercharged S5, S4 B8 previously, Golf R, and some tuned cars like Subarus, so used to around 300-350bhp in a lot of cars and this felt a good bit quicker and more of a turbo rush feel

Oh that's great to know, comes from a great background of car history then! It has made me even more excited to drive one now.

Whats the wheel tax about cant see anything on my invoice or when i ordered they did not mention anything.

Is that why its 800 for 1st yr.?

When you swap from the standard wheels to the black or titanium then you get different sizes tyres too which pushes the co2 emissions into the next zone. I think it goes from 189 to 191 which adds another £400 to the first years road tax.
Essentially it means to change the wheels from standard colour to black look it costs £1100, not £700 as an option.
Also more expensive tyres to swap out in the future potentially.

Excuse my poor photoshopping skills.
Thought I would try some other alloys on to see what they look like.
Maybe more a 20" look rather than 19"

Attachments

• rs3 new wheels.jpg
    rs3 new wheels.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 130
When you swap from the standard wheels to the black or titanium then you get different sizes tyres too which pushes the co2 emissions into the next zone. I think it goes from 189 to 191 which adds another £400 to the first years road tax.
Essentially it means to change the wheels from standard colour to black look it costs £1100, not £700 as an option.
Also more expensive tyres to swap out in the future potentially.
Reduces understeer though. Not had a jot of it in my PFL despite many armchair drivers telling me it understeers.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Steff s3
Im with you on that one TX, it's amazing the comments flying about about This & That regarding it.
From the likes it has never driven one never mind even tracked one,or even pushed one hard enough on UK roads to act this way.
I was at an Audi Exclusive Event at Dunblane Hydro,seen the RS3 Saloon and to be honest I wasn't impressed.
The front wings look no different to the S3 in arch width.
VC looks amazing but in all fairness that's about all I'd say compared to the 8v.
But each to there on and all that and I wish everybody that's bought one to enjoy it to the max as it's not pourly about the looks of it,it's about the noise of it,that undisguised glorious noise of the 5pot engine you hear while given it some while going through the gears either Up or Down....it's addictive.
Also..........it's an RS

Reactions: Terminator x