Excess noise from rear of car, wasn't there before.

Rip

Reaction score
The last couple of times I've been in the car I've noticed a noise from the rear, it starts at about 35-40mph and sounds like I've left the boot open a bit, like a wind/whirring/hum/road noise sound. It's not real loud but I'm sure it's a new noise that wasn't there a couple of weeks ago. Car is a '14 S3 3-door hatchback, it's done 67k and I know the haldex oil and gearbox oil (s-tronic) needs doing, could that have anything to do with it?

Last edited:
Have you checked all the rubber seals around windows and doors?
Mines making a similar noise but at much higher speeds(80-90+). Going back to dealer as it’s under warranty.

Reactions: Rip
I will double check that but I suppose it's more of a road noise rather than wind noise.

Wheel bearing is another possibility.
If you know the haldex and diff need servicing then you really should sort it out asap...Really expensive repair if they go wrong due to neglect.

Wheel bearings would be my first thing to have checked.

I remember in my old 8P A3, it started with a low whirring noise at 45 / 50 then after a week or so, you couldn’t hear yourself think when driving it over those speeds.

Wheel bearing is another possibility.
If you know the haldex and diff need servicing then you really should sort it out asap...Really expensive repair if they go wrong due to neglect.

I'm just trying to find a decent independent Audi place near me. Is it 38k then 76k?

Wheel bearings would be my first thing to have checked.

I remember in my old 8P A3, it started with a low whirring noise at 45 / 50 then after a week or so, you couldn’t hear yourself think when driving it over those speeds.

MOT in a few weeks so I'll get the bearings looked at before then.

Reactions: pburv
I'm just trying to find a decent independent Audi place near me. Is it 38k then 76k?
Yeah 38k for first service is right. I'm sure people on here would know more.:icon thumright:

Well the car is at 67k so assuming the next one is also a 38k interval then it's not actually due yet but I'll get it done anyway and have the rear wheel bearings looked at at the same time hopefully within the next few weeks.

Here's what's involved if you fancy having a go yourself........

Plenty of vids on line to look at.

Well the car is at 67k so assuming the next one is also a 38k interval then it's not actually due yet but I'll get it done anyway and have the rear wheel bearings looked at at the same time hopefully within the next few weeks.
yep definitely needs one if you haven't any record of it been done?
Even if it has it won't harm it giving it another service for peace of mind...
If you get garage to do the service get them to clean the pump filter . This is often forgotten as it's not part of Audi's service.

Yeah 38k for first service is right. I'm sure people on here would know more.:icon thumright:

Here's what's involved if you fancy having a go yourself........

Plenty of vids on line to look at.

Thanks, but for the sake of keeping the service history up I'll get it done somewhere :)

yep definitely needs one if you haven't any record of it been done?
Even if it has it won't harm it giving it another service for peace of mind...
If you get garage to do the service get them to clean the pump filter . This is often forgotten as it's not part of Audi's service.

I'm pretty sure I have a record of it being done at around 38k but as I said I'll get it done again now anyway.

Had a drumming/rubbing noise when picking away round corners with mine.

Dealer replaced haldex oil and cleaned the gauze (gen5) although it had been done 14,000 miles before. The noise seems to have gone now.

Recently I have had a strange whirring resonance which I noticed off throttle. Thought it was speed related but then realised it was at 2200rpm. In the recent cold weather the tyre pressures have dropped 5psi all round. Inflated tyres and the noise has gone. (Suspect the garage may of adjusted them)

Recently I have had a strange whirring resonance which I noticed off throttle. Thought it was speed related but then realised it was at 2200rpm. In the recent cold weather the tyre pressures have dropped 5psi all round. Inflated tyres and the noise has gone. (Suspect the garage may of adjusted them)

Good shout, I'll check my pressures then also, sometimes the simplest things get overlooked.

No such luck for me, they are all at dead on 30psi which is where they were a few months ago. I also checked my exhaust valves while I was out there just in case one was stuck open or something but again everything seems fine there too.

Update: just had the S-Tronic and Haldex oils done and it turns out it's not a wheel bearing making the noise, it's the rear diff itself. I don't think it's anything to worry about currently as the old oil came out clean and there is no leaks around the diff and it's not a super loud worrying kind of noise (you wouldn't hear it unless you were looking for it specifically). I'll keep an ear on it and hopefully it won't get any louder.

One thing that will need looking at though is the wire that comes out of the haldex motor, it's got a braided metal cover on it but I'm told mine has gone all crispy (to the point you wouldn't want to touch it as it might fall apart) and part of the braiding is missing leaving the inner cable somewhat exposed. As this wire seems to disappear off into the motor maybe my only option here is to cut the wire near the motor and splice in a new piece of wire, reattach the plug and put a new braided cover on, sound like a plan?

I haven't been under there myself yet but I'm assuming that it's this wire:

49141421492_4c1bc04d26_b.jpg

Last edited: