ESP light on after cruise retrofit

Ibis Rob

Reaction score
Hi folks, finally got my cruise control fitted. Found the slip ring with all stalks attached for under 100 quid. Had a local auto electrical garage code it in with there vcds. Everything works as it should but the esp light is on constant since I got it done. He said it'll go off after a few miles. Done 50 miles and it's still on. Any ideas, I'll be taking it back towards the end of this week if it persists.

Try doing full lock left and right. I had similar snag after mine on a b6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ibis Rob
While moving lol think it needs to relearn

Try doing full lock left and right. I had similar snag after mine on a b6

I'll try it in the morning on the way home from work. Hopefully it's that simple.

Get the fitter to check the DTC's if it doesn't clear.

Found a empty car park and went from left to right on full lock while driving and nothing has changed so back to the fitted to have it checked out. I'll mention to him to check the DTC's Darren and see if that's it.

Don't know if it'll help but I had my light come whilst messing about.
I did the full lock whilst stationary. Full lock left hold for 5secs, then full lock right again hold 5secs.
Can't remember but think it beeped whilst doing it.
I did try it whilst moving but didn't work.

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

I'll try all of the above guys. Luckily the guy that coded it is only 5 mins back the road.

Update on this. Went back to the guy who fitted it and had him plug it in. The steering angle sensor is faulty in the second hand unit I got when I bought the slip ring with stalks attached. So next question is can I take the steering angle sensor out of my out slip ring and fit to this new one.

Been a while since I've had once in bits, but I'm sure the sensor clips into the back of the slipring. Seems odd he gave you the car back with a light on and didn't check for fault codes.
Did he even try to calibrate it?

Been a while since I've had once in bits, but I'm sure the sensor clips into the back of the slipring. Seems odd he gave you the car back with a light on and didn't check for fault codes.
Did he even try to calibrate it?

I'm not sure what he done on it but I can imagine he would have had to code in the new slip ring and when I carried it back today he just plugged it in and told me the angle sensor was at fault. I thought it was odd too as I've never read online or heard about having an esp light on after the retrofit, was just told it'll go off after a few miles as it needs to learn again. I'd be ****** off if I'd have to buy the part but since my old one is working perfectly I'll just swap them over.

Ive wanted cruise control for mine, didn't realise it was a fairly simple job? Is this all you needed then 191950970958(eBay) and vcds coding?

Update on this. Went back to the guy who fitted it and had him plug it in. The steering angle sensor is faulty in the second hand unit I got when I bought the slip ring with stalks attached. So next question is can I take the steering angle sensor out of my out slip ring and fit to this new one.

I've carried out this retrofit a number of times now and there have been a couple of occasions where the adaptation hasn't worked until the 5th or 6th time of trying. There doesn't seem to be any explaination other than it would seem that some of the steering angle sensors are simply a little temperamental.

I've carried out this retrofit a number of times now and there have been a couple of occasions where the adaptation hasn't worked until the 5th or 6th time of trying. There doesn't seem to be any explaination other than it would seem that some of the steering angle sensors are simply a little temperamental.
He tried it severel times to no avail. You can see that the sensor is working on the vcds when you turn the wheel as you can see the values change. Seen him try a few things and just couldn't get the adaptation to take at all.

Ive wanted cruise control for mine, didn't realise it was a fairly simple job? Is this all you needed then 191950970958(eBay) and vcds coding?
Pretty much that's all I got. everything working after some vcds time, just this nagging esp fault that where having trouble clearing.

Last edited: