Error code advice..

norris_309

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had an airbag light on for a while. MOT is in April so need to start thinking about it!

I borrowed a mates code scanner, it a cheap ebay job U281
(Mate successfully cleared airbag light on his golf)

I was hoping I could clear the code to see if it stays off or comes back.

I scanned the car and it came up with SRS error 01217
I tried erasing it but it comes up with a message:
Protocol kwp2000

And didn't clear the light even temporarily.

Also it came up with an engine code of 17996 which looks to be an engine mount??!!!!
Is this bad? Sounds based, but can't say I've noticed anything.

Any advice welcome!!

01217 - Side Airbag Igniter; Front Driver Side
try cleaning the connections if that does not work then the igniter is faulty

From reading around, its a yellow connector under the drivers seat.

I'll have a look tomorrow and see if anything looks a miss.

What's involved if the ignitor is faulty? What/where is it?

Well,
I've been out in the cold.
Erasing the code with the ignition on puts the airbag light out for a couple of seconds its then straight back on.

I've located the yellow connector under the drivers seat, removed and refitted, but still no joy!

The cable connector looks fine, and cable seems to be connected fine.

I guess its worth removing the seat as it looks like there is a connection at the back under the seat too.

Removing the seat is just a few hex type screws on the runners I take it?

I had a problem with the passenger side airbag connector on my car too, googling around turned up a Service Bulletin that had identified the yellow under-seat connector as being faulty.

Can't remember if it was on ASN or another popular AudiVW forum but there was a how-to for removing the yellow connector completely and just soldering the wires together. I followed it and it cured my problem and no reoccurrence in the past 18odd months.

Hope it helps, Frank

Is there anything you can physically see to indicate the connectors are faulty? As there are the 2.
Or do you cut out both?

I had a look at mine again today, I pulled out the yellow connector in the floor and sprayed air duster in it and put back together, also shone a torch under the seat to see the other one,
I couldn't undo it.. But just checked it was pushed in firmly and gave it a wiggle.

I erased the fault and the light is now out!!??!!
For how long I don't know, so we'll see! Fingers crossed

the one under the seat is the one that needs sorting
not the floor one

either get new from audi and replace or cut and solder wires together

Oh right,
So giving it a wiggle has 'probably' temporarily fixed it.
Its nice to not have any warning lights on even if it is temporary!!

Out of interest, how do you know its the under seat one?

It was the under seat one that prompted the Service Bulletin, must've been a faulty batch or something.

There was never any obvious visual faults, my light came on once or twice when moving the seat to clean the car but would reset with VCDS. Eventually it just stayed on and cutting and splicing was the only thing that worked for me.

Frank