EPC Warning Light

Sean Devenney

Reaction score
Looking for a bit of advice here, basically I had a faulty clutch master cylinder in wich was replaced outwith garage by an Audi mechanic who is a friend of mine. Due to the weather he was not able to fully bleed the clutch properly and also since having the part replaced I now notice I have an EPC warning light iluminated on my dash. Just looking to see if the EPC light is just to do with the new part needing coded or is it ctually flagging up another fault with my car? And also, how much am I looking at to get Audi to bleed the clutch and code in the new master cylinder?

p.s. It is on a Audi A3 8P1 2004 2.0 FSI

Thanks in advance guys:)

You need the clutch system bled properly and in full working order. Once that's done you need someone to clear the fault codes and then drive the car to see if the same code reappears. If it does then more than likely it is a genuine fault.

For a price on the work from Audi just call them. In my experience Audi can be expensive when it comes to coding, it may be worth sending a PM to @NHN for him to give you a quote. You never know, he may be able to match/beat the Audi quote.

The EPC lamp is nothing to do with the clutch change, probably something else was disturbed when he was working on the car, just needs a reset, or you could disconnect and reconnect the battery, may cure the warning lamp.

You need the clutch system bled properly and in full working order. Once that's done you need someone to clear the fault codes and then drive the car to see if the same code reappears. If it does then more than likely it is a genuine fault.

For a price on the work from Audi just call them. In my experience Audi can be expensive when it comes to coding, it may be worth sending a PM to @NHN for him to give you a quote. You never know, he may be able to match/beat the Audi quote.
Thanks Sayam, appreciate the help. I'll try get it bled asap because I can feel the clutch being quite spongey and then get the code cleared to see if thats the issue. Also, can any garage with a diagnostics kit clear the code or does it need to be a garage with vagcom?

Think I will message him, just need a rough idea of prices.

The EPC lamp is nothing to do with the clutch change, probably something else was disturbed when he was working on the car, just needs a reset, or you could disconnect and reconnect the battery, may cure the warning lamp.
Ahh really? I hope it just needs reset. Do i just disconnect the battery for like 30 seconds then reconnect yes? or is there a proper step by step way of doing it?
Thanks aswell for the reply mate, appreciate the help.

I would disconnect the battery for 30 secs, yes, that simple and you won't loose the radio code. It costs nothing to try. The original fault code will still be stored if the EPC light goes out,but doesn't matter.

I would disconnect the battery for 30 secs, yes, that simple and you won't loose the radio code. It costs nothing to try. The original fault code will still be stored if the EPC light goes out,but doesn't matter.
magic, finish work tonight at half 8 so will try that and then let you know how I get on. Thanks Very much mate.

Thanks Sayam, appreciate the help. I'll try get it bled asap because I can feel the clutch being quite spongey and then get the code cleared to see if thats the issue. Also, can any garage with a diagnostics kit clear the code or does it need to be a garage with vagcom?

Think I will message him, just need a rough idea of prices.

Any garage diagnostics tool should be able to do it. My mechanic has a Snap-On one which he happily resets my service indicator with, however, I have heard of reports where spurious code readers have returned the wrong code and then once the car has been read with VCDS it returns the correct code so I dunno lol...

You can reset the service indicator yourself on any car, instructions are in the handbook. This due to the EU ruling saying any garage can service your car using the correct service items and methods. I wouldn't pay any one just to plug a diagnostic tool in just to reset the lights.

Any garage diagnostics tool should be able to do it. My mechanic has a Snap-On one which he happily resets my service indicator with, however, I have heard of reports where spurious code readers have returned the wrong code and then once the car has been read with VCDS it returns the correct code so I dunno lol...
Thanks mate, tried the battery with no luck but looking into a garage eith vcds to get the lights off:)

Reactions: Sayam
I know i g
You can reset the service indicator yourself on any car, instructions are in the handbook. This due to the EU ruling saying any garage can service your car using the correct service items and methods. I wouldn't pay any one just to plug a diagnostic tool in just to reset the lights.
rudge paying them to plug in a laptop click a few buttons amd were done! trying to find someone near y with vcds who could run a check and hopefully get the light off asap, thanks for the help anyways mate, appreciated as always.