Engine whistle - Does anyone recognise this? (Video)

ENZO

Reaction score

I know it isn't brakes or timing belt, seems to be coming from the engine.

Gets louder as engine gets warmer

Any ideas what this could be? Plus who would be best to look at this (south yorkshire)

Thanks

That will be a pulley or idler driven by the auxiliary belt probably. Whatever it is, it sounds near the end of its life.

Reactions: ENZO
That will be a pulley or idler driven by the auxiliary belt probably. Whatever it is, it sounds near the end of its life.

Is it a big job to fix? What cost will I be looking at.

Afraid you have to identify where it is first. Check the route the belt takes and with the engine off check everything for excessive play.

Start at the alternator and work down

Thanks I will get it checked

Won't be anything to do with HPFP cam follower will it? As last I changed it, it was badly worn down and they said same would happen again

Won't be anything to do with HPFP cam follower will it? As last I changed it, it was badly worn down and they said same would happen again
Yea you should change that every 6-10k miles , how does it drive cause it could be a boost leak causing that will cause whistling so you can check you charge/boost pipes to for tears/hole but that sound to high pitched, can also be an water pump or any other pulley driven by a belt The difficult part is locating the source of the problem

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: ENZO and abmat
Yea you should change that every 6-10k miles , how does it drive cause it could be a boost leak causing that will cause whistling so you can check you charge/boost pipes to for tears/hole but that sound to high pitched, can also be an water pump or any other pulley driven by a belt The difficult part is locating the source of the problem

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

apart from the whistling it drives fine. A little rough at idle (and revs stick) but thats probably as clutch is slipping

How badly worn, did it have a hole in?

Then was the fuel pump nipple worn also as if so then possibly the inlet cam also has been rounded.

Then was the fuel pump nipple worn also as if so then possibly the inlet cam also has been rounded.

Not sure but hopefully gonna get it checked it morning

Tried to book in with Stattler Development in Sheffield but fully booked next 3 weeks.

Any other recommendations around South Yorkshire? Guessing all the high reputable ones will be booked up though

If anyone gets this be sure to check PCV valve as that was the cause here.