engaging into reverse?

shamrock

Reaction score
I was always told that when engaging into reverse (manual) I should first press the knob down, then slide the stick to the left, wait a second and then push forward into reverse. Well anyways, I let someone drive my car (mistake) and he put it into reverse without so much as a pause and it looked as if he really pushed the stick hard; sounded that way as well. There was no grinding though. Car is ok. Did he cause damage. Sorry. OCD

First I've heard of this 1 second pause. I don't think I hear a crunch or need to forcefully push the stick hard either.

I dount any damage has been caused to be honest.

1 second is a long time, but I think I know what they mean...

If -for example, you 'RUSH' through the gate coming right after some high-revs, it WILL crunch, since reverse is non-synchromesh.

If you're startionary at idle, all you need to do is gently go through the gate into reverse, and you'll be fine.

What I think they're trying to tell you is 'don't rush ino reverse... specially while rolling slightly, with any 'speed' still on the engine... or it'll grind.

but a "always-wait-one-full-second" rule isn't really necessary, at all.

Keith

Listen to Keith - it all makes sense.

If I do it slowly it goes in much smoother as opposed to doing it quickly where I have to apply force. The question is whether the force applied is causing damage. It feels like it is catching on something and then I forcefully push through it when engaging quickly. It is not a tremendous amount of force but more so then when waiting. I just want to be sure he didn't cause damage. If I understood the mechanics I would be more reassured. Thanks for hearing my rambling

Sure you'll be fine with just the one time crunch.

I just select it like any other gear & it slides in smooth. I wouldnt force it in tho if the revs were high or as said, it could crunch. You would only damage it if when its crunching you keep trying to force it in.

1 second is a long time, but I think I know what they mean...

If -for example, you 'RUSH' through the gate coming right after some high-revs, it WILL crunch, since reverse is non-synchromesh.

If you're startionary at idle, all you need to do is gently go through the gate into reverse, and you'll be fine.

What I think they're trying to tell you is 'don't rush ino reverse... specially while rolling slightly, with any 'speed' still on the engine... or it'll grind.

but a "always-wait-one-full-second" rule isn't really necessary, at all.

Keith

Sorry Keith but one of your comments is not correct. The manual gearbox on the A3 does have syncromesh on reverse. I have just checked in the workshop manual ElsaWin and in the exploded view of the manual gearbox it describes one item as "Reverse gear syncronising hub".

I had four A3s with manual gearboxes and they all grated when I engaged reverse. I used to find that if I really pushed hard on the clutch pedal and pushed it into the carpet then it would engaged OK but having slightly shorter than average legs for my height (long body - short legs) this was hard work. My last three A3s have had an s-tronic gearbox so I no longer have the problem.

It didn't crunch or grind. I just saw that he needEd to use excessive force to engage it. What could have been damaged? If everything feels ok then nothing
was damaged? In other words "all is good until broken?"

It didn't crunch or grind. I just saw that he needEd to use excessive force to engage it. What could have been damaged? If everything feels ok then nothing
was damaged? In other words "all is good until broken?"

I used to have a the problem quite often. I found I needed to release the clutch and press it again before the gear would engage.

Sorry Keith but one of your comments is not correct. The manual gearbox on the A3 does have syncromesh on reverse.
Ah. I offer my apple-hoagies; I thought it was a non-synchro reverse in the manual.

I too have S-tronic nowadays, due to advancing arthritis in my shifting arm, but I also remember the days of forced double-declutching in low gear, never mind reverse! ;)

Keith