Emissions Scandal - Advice Please!

Tomas Sears

Reaction score
Hi

I'm sorry as I know this has probably been asked a hundred times!
I checked my VIN number on the Audi website, and unfortunately have an A3 that is effected by the scandal

I know at some point Audi will contact me to get the problem rectified, but should I?
I do a hell of a lot of miles and worried as I have heard to correct the problem, the MPG will be effected. Does anyone know if this is correct?
I'm not so bothered if I lose a little horsepower (As there is no where you can use it in the UK!) just worried that I'll be spending more and more on diesel every month as I already spend around £150 pcm.

I have spoke to a couple of guys who know more about cars than me and they advise me to get it fixed as when I come to sell the car, it will be easier.

Also, I have heard that people who own cars effected can claim compensation - Is this true? I have only owned the car a few months

Any advise would be greatly received!

Less than £40 a week is nothing on fuel and you can use the horsepower on the motorway...

Compensation is an up the in the air issue since we don't know what the fix will be yet

It will be some kind of detune , mpg will remain unchanged , expect a small loss of bhp but mostly crucial torque will be lost as a consequence the car will become less driveable , not good .

Those on finance and warranty deals part of the agreement is every recall has to be carried out , so unavoidable .

Remappers are going to have a field day .

The last I read the 'fix' wouldn't be ready/carried out till late 2016. Hopefully it'll give VAG the time needed to do the fix properly. The government have also changed their stance on this. Firstly they said it wasn't mandatory to get the car sorted, but as usual they have retracted that and said its a must!

The government have also changed their stance on this. Firstly they said it wasn't mandatory to get the car sorted, but as usual they have retracted that and said its a must!
Hi - any chance you have a link for that tidbit ?

Ta

It's somewhere over on the 8V thread on The Emissions Scandal. About 27 pages worth. Have a read through. But I'd possibly miss out the first 10 pages! :blink:

For what it's worth I've followed most of that in 8V - but hadn't spotted mention of such a requirement, at least not citing any obvious authoritative reference.

For the UK, anyway.

So far...

It will be some kind of detune , mpg will remain unchanged , expect a small loss of bhp but mostly crucial torque will be lost as a consequence the car will become less driveable , not good .

Those on finance and warranty deals part of the agreement is every recall has to be carried out , so unavoidable .

Remappers are going to have a field day .
From what I have heard they will be replacing the injectors on the 1.6 tdi engines (valkswagen) and software change on the 2.0tdi engines.

Not legally enforceable as not a 'safety issue' formal recall, apparently.

Until the plod knock on my door Im not getting mine done.

Early days yet - I've only received my initial Audi (2010 A3 2.0 TDI 170 bhp) letter this week. Experts to whom I have spoken feel that it may be just the "test" program which is deleted from the ECU and that everything else will remain unchanged. The cars will still comply with EU emission rules - it is only the US where there may be a problem.

Yep - I've not seen any definitive answer as to whether the dodgy software designed to recognise the US tests also recognises the EU tests, and if so, would the cars fail the (less stringent) EU tests without it ?

Seems possible the answer is "no". However, would it really be worth doing a recall just to delete the dodgy "test" mode, which will have no effect anyway…?

So perhaps there's more to it...