Egr valve Enquiry

does-it-work?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an Audi a3 2011 tdi 2.0 sportsback.

Recently I noticed the engine managent light come on, so bought a car reader which returned the code p0403.

So I took it to the garage and was told the EGR valve was faulty and would cost 1000 grand to replace!

My question is, is this a good price? Has anyone replaced it by themselves, if so is it difficult to get to?

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the reply, will have to into that.

How would it affect car performance and emmisons?

Happened to me last year I have same car 2011 A3 2.0 tad is line 140 was quoted £300 for new EGR valve had it mapped and and deleted for same price

Thanks for the response guys, I've been reading up whats involved in replacing this myself even purchased the haynes workshop manual and seems a bit of work to get to the valve with the engine code(CFFB) I have. Will give the site sponsors a shout

Same thing happened to my missus 2011 2.0 tdi 170. It's a common problem with these engines. The part has actually been revised three times. The valve can't be replaced itself so it's a whole EGR Cooler replacement.

We Took it to Audi to quoted £1090 to fit a new one. Managed to get them down to £720 which we paid as the part and work comes with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Most of the cost comes with the labour as the part itself is £250-300. the labour is roughly 6-10 hours as you have to take the DPF off as the EGR is located at back of the engine as you're probably aware.

Deleting EGR is an option which will require physical blanking of pipework as well as remapping.
Note that some EGR faults can cause DPF to fail passive regen even when blanked/deleted (still worth trying 1st though IMO).
I'll be posting a DIY (not for the faint hearted) for renewing the EGR with integrated cooler soon - VAG say the dpf etc needs to come off...but that's not the way it's done. As said above £1000 is on the high side for this job.

Where are you based? I'm a ex tech for Audi and would take the job on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry wil147 didn't see your post, I managed to get it fixed for £585 from Victoria Audi although the lady said she had under quoted but kept the price the same.

Although the car is running much powerful now I do notice that it was not as powerful as last year so wondering what I can do to get maximum power

No brainer to me, order a egr delete kit... No more trouble! Lol

Get it deleted/blanked off!
I've got a 2.0 tdi (140bhp) had it remapped to around 190 bhp, after this I got the EGR deleted and the car feels even quicker, better throttle response. Around 20 miles after getting it done the engine management light has come on, I've been driving around for almost 3000 miles with the light on, will eventually get it programmed out when it goes in for service.
Your emissions will be worse but you'll get around an extra 3/4mpgs :)

Reactions: Gazwould
You could always try a Hydrogen Carbon Clean comes in around £90 for 45mins gave it a go myself and its the way forward no more sluggishness no more limp mode best £90 i was told more than half a dozen times i needed a new turbo guess what carbon build up just google it guy i used is in west lothian