EGR delete

Adam Russell

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a remap soon don't want to remove DPF as worried about MOT in the future. But i would like to shut off the EGR valve as i don't like the fact dirty air being used and contaminating the oil(+other reasons), i have heard /read on Darkside dev that shutting off the EGR while DPF is still in place can be detrimental to the DPF is this true in my case A4 B8 quattro 170 engine code CAHA year 61 plate
Thanks in advanced :)

I can't see why as with operational egr there is more soot in the exhaust gasses .

Operational egr is all about lowering combustion temperature below 2500°C by recycling incombustible NOx to produce less NOx .

Disabled / deleted egr - better oxygenated combustion happens producing better performance at + 2500°C at the expense of increased NOx .

On some car with DPF the egr used as part of regen. However, I have recently removed egr's from CR140, CR170 & PCR 2.1 ecu's without issues.

So you should be fine.

Reactions: Adam Russell
If you believe what you read in this web page then getting rid of EGR shouldn't be an issue at all.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation

"The nitrogen dioxide component of NOx emissions is the primary oxidizer of the soot caught in the DPF at normal operating temperatures. This process is known as passive regeneration. Increasing EGR rates cause passive regeneration to be less effective at managing the PM loading in the DPF. This necessitates periodic active regeneration of the DPF by burning diesel fuel in the oxidation catalyst in order to significantly increase exhaust gas temperatures through the DPF to the point where PM is quickly burned by the residual oxygen in the exhaust."

So it would seem that by disabling EGR and increasing NOX emissions would lead to more passive regeneration so less active regeneration of the DPF would be required.

Reactions: Adam Russell
strange so Darkside state "The EGR Valve should NOT be removed on vehicles that still have the DPF Filter in place, doing so may block the DPF as the EGR Valve operation is a prerequisite for DPF Regeneration." (http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/egr-removal-delete/) maybe just to cover there back. only reason i noticed is because rather tempted by there delete kit (ovs get it mapped out aswell)

Why waste money on a delete kit? Turn if off in the map and cut a plate to block the egr.

Reactions: Adam Russell, GAS MONKEY and Gazwould
why does the egr need blanking if it has being disabled?

Reactions: Gazwould
Correct as the plunger blocks the hole , it's optional to blank the egr feed pipe at the unblocked manifold end to needlessly prevent it from filling with exhaust gasses .

Yes useful not to use 3mm blanking plates when keeping the egr feed pipe and never assume a Stage 1 remap has the egr software cancelled out .