EGR cooler change over valve

owenjt

Reaction score
I've had an issue with my EGR valve for a while and an engine management light lit up on the dash.

Two garages have told me that I need to replace my EGR cooler at a cost of around £1000. Because of the cost and the fact I was told the car is fine to drive, I've continued driving without any issues.

Today however, my car has been at an Audi dealer for a service and they have identified a broken wire on the EGR cooler change over valve, which could be the cause of the engine management light. They're quoting nearly £200 to fix this.

Has anyone else had this issue before? Can I not just get someone to reattach the wires, or do I have to buy a new connector (and if so, what's the part number?)

I've got a 2010 2.0tdi.

Here's the culprit:

Screen_Shot_2017_11_09_at_18_15_02.png

I expect the garages wanted to replace the whole EGR/valve/cooler assembly but even still, £1,000 seems very expensive and more than I've seen quoted for Audi main dealers on this site. However, your's appears to just involve a broken wire which I haven't seen mentioned as a fault before - perhaps you have just suffered and unfortunate one-off.

There is a little electric, auxiliary water pump on the 2010 TDIs which is down next to the sump. It pumps coolant around the EGR when required - they have been known to fail - I've replaced mine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-AUDI-SEAT-SKODA-GENUINE-EGR-Cooler-and-EGR-Valve-03L131512DQ-CH-N-BJ-DQ-CF-BL/172248204146?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I expect the garages wanted to replace the whole EGR/valve/cooler assembly but even still, £1,000 seems very expensive and more than I've seen quoted for Audi main dealers on this site. However, your's appears to just involve a broken wire which I haven't seen mentioned as a fault before - perhaps you have just suffered and unfortunate one-off.

There is a little electric, auxiliary water pump on the 2010 TDIs which is down next to the sump. It pumps coolant around the EGR when required - they have been known to fail - I've replaced mine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-AUDI-SEAT-SKODA-GENUINE-EGR-Cooler-and-EGR-Valve-03L131512DQ-CH-N-BJ-DQ-CF-BL/172248204146?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Thanks. The garages who quoted be £1,000 clearly didn't see the split cable. I only actually need a new connector though - anyone know what part number this is?

So I've now found the part number: 1J0 973 722. This connects to an 'Inlet Manifold Flap Solenoid'. My thinking is to buy a new 2-pin connector with wiring attached, then just connect the wires together. What would be the best way to connect the wires together?

I would say so - when it comes to electrics always isolate the circuit. Saves shorting stuff out and zapping yourself

I would say so - when it comes to electrics always isolate the circuit. Saves shorting stuff out and zapping yourself
Cheers. Doesn't unhooking the battery cause information to be cleared from the ECU though so it has to 'relearn' certain things?

Cheers. Doesn't unhooking the battery cause information to be cleared from the ECU though so it has to 'relearn' certain things?
All mine did was lose the comfort function fo the power windows and the trip meter reset cant remember if i had to set the time again but even still nothing that takes more then a couple of minutes to do.

Thanks all! Managed to solder the wires together and used the Carista OBD2 adapter to clear the engine management light and it's worked!

Reactions: andyb616
was this the N345 switch over valve for the EGR cooler by any chance?