DVC 2ohm connection question

audi-a6

Reaction score
Okay, so i got a Orion Hcca 15" dual 2ohm voice coil and an amp which is 1ohm stable @ 2000w rms sub is also 2000w rms, my amp is a mono block but has 2 x terminals, now i know both terminals output the same power, but which is the best way to hook the sub up. 1) use both terminals and run wires to each coil? or 2) use one terminal and bridge the 2 voice coils to 1ohm? would their be any difference in the two, i imagine that the proper way is run 2 voice coils to 1 ohm, but thought i would just double check

the reason i ask is because if the information isnt correct beforehand and it isnt dual 2 ohm coils it can very very easilly fry both the
amp and sub

the way you connect it is this

positive to positive with one wire to the first positive terminal then piggy back with the same wire gauge to the second positive speaker terminal
negative to negative with one wire to the first terminal then piggy back with same gauge wire onto the second negative speaker terminal

this way will give you a 1 ohm load which is the maximum your amplifier is reccomended to do

i would also consider using an oscilloscope and test tones to set the correct gain

the reason i ask is because if the information isnt correct beforehand and it isnt dual 2 ohm coils it can very very easilly fry both the
amp and sub

the way you connect it is this

positive to positive with one wire to the first positive terminal then piggy back with the same wire gauge to the second positive speaker terminal
negative to negative with one wire to the first terminal then piggy back with same gauge wire onto the second negative speaker terminal

this way will give you a 1 ohm load which is the maximum your amplifier is reccomended to do

i would also consider using an oscilloscope and test tones to set the correct gain

cool will give it a go, I can set gain easily as i know the voltage of my stereo is 8v so i can just set gain to that cant I, besides, i dont think i will have it turned up that much as it will be too over powering until i got the rest of the system finished

no you cannot
there are very very few headunits with 8 volts output and most of those only do it by using a line driver
what are you using ???

i will try to simplify this as much as possible you need to both check for clipping from your headunit and amplifier
then match the gain between your headunit and amplifier

you cannot do this by simply guessing or thinking you know
what you have bought is a class d amplifier which while being a lot more efficient than a normal class a/b amplifier they are also more fragile
certain things these ampifiers dont like

voltage is one .... do not turn the amplifier on when you are down on battery power you will kill the amplifier
do not clip the amplifier both on the input side and the output side again you will kill it very very easilly
make sure the amplifier is secured properly inside the vehicle and make sure it is well ventilated
if you dont the amplifier will vibrate and again you will kill it

to run this properly it needs setting up
that way you can be cartain you are not going to damage anything when you fell like turning the volume up

scope the headunit and see at what point does it clip and what voltage
set this as the maximum on your headunit then scope the amplifier and check to see the maximum gain at that voltage
then make sure you never ever go above this
this will give you good clean reliable power