DSG

medicineman

Reaction score
My gearbox has developed a phobia about cogs 1to 4 and insists on been in 5 or 6 most of the time. Anyone else have this problem? Is it because I am running it in?

I'm also sure the stick is back to front compared to the SMGII box.

in "D" mode, unless you floor it, it will stay in 5 or 6 because it doesn't need to try any harder! it's amazing how the V6 carries you round without even trying in town traffic, staying in 5th or 6th... which at least keeps the fuel costs down!

Don't run your car in... there's no point. enjoy it now!

I try and avoid 'D' these days.
I've had too many "AAAAH!!!" moments where I've tried to accelerate out of a junction and had a full second's or so delay before the car actually reacts.
Very scary.

remember that in "D", it will take note of your driving style during the previous 10 minutes and will prepare gears, etc in the same way... if you need to 'plant it' then drop down the gear with the manual first.. if you don't touch the gears afterwards, while still in "D", then it will go back to auto.

if you're driving like you need to accelerate out of junctions for some reason, drop it into "S" first... it easy!

I don't understand this. Which ever mode you are in, why does it hesitate at all when you are simply trying to get away? Id is categorically dangerous.

I thought the different modes were about how the gearbox behaves once you get going. "D" mode should not be about it having a cup of tea before deciding to react to the drivers request.

DSG is not alone in this. The paddle autobox used in the 120d Beemer was exactly the same when I tested it last year. First junction I came to, planted my foot to "jump" out in front of traffic, and for a second or two there was virtually no reaction from the engine. Luckily there was a short slip road, and the engine finally came to life. In this case I handn't even come completely to a halt before hand.

I think junctions/roundabouts are another example of where the DSG can be found a bit lacking.
No matter what mode you're in,the box will not change down to first unless you're at a virtual standstill.
So you spot a gap,plant the foot and you're left with the engine bogging in second,which can be scary.
At least with a manual you can dip the clutch to get the revs up.

In my experience with DSG I've found you have to change your driving habits substantially to cater for the box.I certainly find myself actually having to 'forward plan' a bit more than I'm used to in a manual.

I can see why some people love the box,but I wouldn't have it again unless Audi make some changes (sic).

You're right Japper,you can do that of course.
As long as you're willing to put up teeth marks on the wheel and whiplash.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

The SMG gearbox was the same, I think its to do with the time taken for the system to engage the clutch. IE it doesn't slip the clutch like you can on a manual with high revs for a fast get away.

Bowfer - is the audi your first diesel? I had a few scary experiences with my current manual diesel when I first got it. Previously I'd had a vvti Celica which happily went to 9000 revs. The Volvo diesel peaks at 4500 and just goes flat - it never gets into the red. This used to lead to some very hasty gear changes until I got used to it.

Sounds to me like your problem may be with diesels rather than DSG per se?

From my understanding from the articles I have read on the DSG, If you put your foot down in second the "other" shaft will engage third gear, hence the delay of eventually changing to first manually?

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds to me like your problem may be with diesels rather than DSG per se?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had an A4 tdi 130 sport (manual) for three years.

My problems are definitely with the DSG,which just does not give you the driving options that a manual does and definitely requires a major shift (sic) in driving practices to suit it.
I would say I'm getting more used to it as time passes,but I would also say I'm pandering my driving style to suit the DSG,rather then the DSG coping with my driving style.

I wouldn't even say my driving style is unusual in any way really.I doubt anyone sitting next to me,in a manual,would notice any failings that would point to me being the problem.

I can see why some love the DSG,but it's not for me.

Incidentally,I tried manually changing down to first (in manual mode) when approaching roundabouts and junctions last night.It didn't seem to matter what speed I was doing,it lurched and jerked uncomfortably.It definitely prefers you to be practically stopped before changing to first.

I know that Slimbloke,but you have to be practically stopped for it to do so.

Personally I think the DSG doesn't work in a 2.0tdi and thats why I quickly changed my mind and changed back to the manual before the order was confirmed.

I took out the 3.2 and thought it was good tbh but horror stories about delay in getting away from junction a whole year ago or more is what put me off.

What do I think now - well from reading above I think I made the right decision (not worrying about torque limits for tuning for a kick off) - however I do regret not having rs6 wheels but as they don't offer an sline manual TDI (which is damn stupid) I couldnt do much about it!

I didn't particularly seek out the DSG but,as you say Cheechy,I wanted the S-line sportback Tdi so it was DSG or nothing really.
I did quite fancy the idea of an automatic with a manual(ish) option and I did,initially,think it was great.
Familiarity,as they say,breeds contempt though.
'Frustrating' is a good word to describe my feelings about the DSG.
It has the potential to be great,but it's not there yet.
I'm definitely a slower driver for DSG,but perhaps that's not a bad thing...