DSG problem, anyone else had this?

Mike.46

Reaction score
So, 1 mile after cold start I need to cross a dual carriageway and turn right, car is in ‘D’ mode.

Came to a stop at carriageway, car selects 1st, I move to central reservation presumably the car selected 2nd whilst crossing the first carraigeway, still rolling, looked to my left, ok to carry on pressed the accelerator and went no where, car was sort of revving and spluttering about 2-3000rpm, lifted a couple of times and re pressed accelerator whilst also pulling gear selector back to sport mode, after about 3-4 seconds drive returned.

Try as many times as I might and it will not repeat the fault, no dash lights and nothing logged in VCDS

That's got to be gearbox module issues, it's like the mechatronic issues of old.

Are there any updates to the car available?

Reactions: Mike.46
Could it have be one of those situations where it had pre-selected 3rd and then had to re-select 1st, seems to take an age especially when you have been used to DSG changes.

Not had it much in the DQ500 but had it a couple of times in the DQ250, you think it is broken until you work out how long it would take you to do the same change in a manual.

Could it have be one of those situations where it had pre-selected 3rd and then had to re-select 1st, seems to take an age especially when you have been used to DSG changes.

Not had it much in the DQ500 but had it a couple of times in the DQ250, you think it is broken until you work out how long it would take you to do the same change in a manual.
No, not fast enough for 3rd, It would have been going along in 2nd at idle speed, whether it decided it needed 1st? but I don’t think so as car was moving, it was just as if it was in neutral, worrying as I turned right into outside lane of dual carriage way, If I had tried to go into inside lane it would have left me across both lanes at a slow walking speed.

This lasted about 3 - 4seconds

I haven't experienced anything quite that extreme, but I do notice when they're cold it's almost like the clutches slip a little bit? Takes a few gear changes and a few minutes of driving until they seem happy enough. Don't know if it's just the cold or what.

Reactions: LayZ_Pz and Mike.46
Yeah when they are cold they really like to slip the clutch a lot, makes it sound like a ZF gearbox. I have seen some videos on facebook of gearbox failures on 8Y platform, where the car hard shifts or revs as if the clutch was opened, couple of them got their gearbox replaced.

Reactions: Daggerit
I haven't experienced anything quite that extreme, but I do notice when they're cold it's almost like the clutches slip a little bit? Takes a few gear changes and a few minutes of driving until they seem happy enough. Don't know if it's just the cold or what.
I get the little clutch slip and once (very early on) it went 2nd-3rd and back to 2nd for no reason when cold and accelerating slowly, this time though it was almost as if the gearbox thought ''Oh he's coming to a stop, I'll start the neutral selction, Oh f*ck he isnt stopping, what do I do now?''

It's still worrying me a little, if it had been one of those moments where you think 'Yeah I can make this before he gets here' I would have definately been in for some serious road rage at best and a car buried in my passenger side at worst

Reactions: Daggerit and 8YARWY
I get the little clutch slip and once (very early on) it went 2nd-3rd and back to 2nd for no reason when cold and accelerating slowly, this time though it was almost as if the gearbox thought ''Oh he's coming to a stop, I'll start the neutral selction, Oh f*ck he isnt stopping, what do I do now?''

It's still worrying me a little, if it had been one of those moments where you think 'Yeah I can make this before he gets here' I would have definately been in for some serious road rage at best and a car buried in my passenger side at worst

Does make you wonder what’s going on with these cars. So much that’s an issue with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The only time mine has gone into neutral is when I've put the car into "Efficiency" mode and when decelerating it tends to coast rather than stay in gear. It may take a bit longer to go back into a gear when putting you foot down.

Reactions: LayZ_Pz
The only time mine has gone into neutral is when I've put the car into "Efficiency" mode and when decelerating it tends to coast rather than stay in gear. It may take a bit longer to go back into a gear when putting you foot down.
Yeah efficiency or even comfort - if you don't disable start and stop - it'll go into "neutral" expecting the engine to be stopped. Pretty dangerous if you're looking for power and instead you find your engine being turned off.

So, 1 mile after cold start I need to cross a dual carriageway and turn right, car is in ‘D’ mode.

Came to a stop at carriageway, car selects 1st, I move to central reservation presumably the car selected 2nd whilst crossing the first carraigeway, still rolling, looked to my left, ok to carry on pressed the accelerator and went no where, car was sort of revving and spluttering about 2-3000rpm, lifted a couple of times and re pressed accelerator whilst also pulling gear selector back to sport mode, after about 3-4 seconds drive returned.

Try as many times as I might and it will not repeat the fault, no dash lights and nothing logged in VCDS
Hi, I registered just to reply. It happened to me a few months ago once and a second time two weeks ago. Also after about 10 minutes drive I stop at lights, then waiting to turn i started moving slowly, but got no power at all when I was free to go. I think that the revs increased when I pushed the accelerator and the car was in gear. I instinctively pulled the gear lever, so it switched to Sport and still no power. I think I switched into neutral and back into gear and it behaved normally after that. It could be quite dangerous if you pull out into an intersection like that.

Yeah efficiency or even comfort - if you don't disable start and stop - it'll go into "neutral" expecting the engine to be stopped. Pretty dangerous if you're looking for power and instead you find your engine being turned off.
I always hit the SS button, this was just a one off (I hope) but this car is starting to wear very thin.
I HATE the following
The way it messes about for that first 100 metres in cold weather (just above freezing) I listened to the wife kangarooing up the road yesterday, it just pizzes me off.
The way it blows cold air when the water pump is sheilded until the head gets to 70c and repeats a couple of times
The silent exhaust (without ASR)
The always on at every ignition on Lane assist (now turned to remember last setting)
The SFD protection on controllers
The run way dash and the Hockey stick one not far behind tbh

Most of the above is Audi running scared of the emissions and safety police, the ywould rather make us suffer with steamed up windows and sounding like you cant drive first thing than upset any emissions sh*te

The ONLY thing preventing me from selling is the fact it's residual value is woderfull and I cant find anything else that I like

Rant over :)

I always hit the SS button, this was just a one off (I hope) but this car is starting to wear very thin.
I HATE the following
The way it messes about for that first 100 metres in cold weather (just above freezing) I listened to the wife kangarooing up the road yesterday, it just pizzes me off.
The way it blows cold air when the water pump is sheilded until the head gets to 70c and repeats a couple of times
The always on at every ignition on Lane assist (now turned to remember last setting)

Most of the above is Audi running scared of the emissions and safety police, the ywould rather make us suffer with steamed up windows and sounding like you cant drive first thing than upset any emissions sh*te

The ONLY thing preventing me from selling is the fact it's residual value is woderfull and I cant find anything else that I like

Wait until you start getting the ‘rattle’ on cold start.
Clunking brake pedal has a TPI for a new brake booster with modified boot.

I HATE the following

Glad you managed to sort the exhaust and lane assist, I did the same because both got on my nerves a bit.

I put up with the 100 m clutch issues generally because it's only in very cold weather and I also find if I put it in drive while the cold start is running it seems to pre-heat the clutches a bit and makes things much better in general (not every time). Don't move anywhere but have drive engaged before the handbrake even comes off.

I can't say I've had the cold air thing happening though. I notice it sometimes gently blows cold air on Auto until warmed up when it switches to warm air but it doesn't fluctuate after that. Not that's noticeable anyway. From in the cabin, without monitoring data, it seems fine once initially warm.

Totally agree with the runway and hockey stick designs. Think they're horrible and would much prefer the centre tach version.

While on the subject of annoying things...

How long does it take to clear the windscreen on a frosty morning, it's unbelievably slow. Will a Ford Focus heated windscreen fit? :help:

It's my first DSG/S-Tronic or whatever it is... had the "slip" on cold mornings which is a bit weird. The BMW ZF box in a previous car was better IMO.

To be fair the 8V has done that for the first 100 yards on mine and still does if I just start and go. Don't see it much as I tend to wait for the cold start and wastegate rattle to stop before moving off and it usually behaves. DQ250 does not do that, not sure about the DQ380

Not had it do anything after that though

I forgive it some things, given where it came from and the fact it is mostly bulletproof in other respects.

Will a Ford Focus heated windscreen fit?
Skoda do them too so no excuse really.

To be fair the 8V has done that for the first 100 yards on mine and still does if I just start and go. Don't see it much as I tend to wait for the cold start and wastegate rattle to stop before moving off and it usually behaves. DQ250 does not do that, not sure about the DQ380

Not had it do anything after that though

I forgive it some things, given where it came from and the fact it is mostly bulletproof in other respects.

Skoda do them too so no excuse really.

Hmmm how odd, never had this on my 8V in 4 years of owning it.

Reactions: flybynite
While on the subject of annoying things...

How long does it take to clear the windscreen on a frosty morning, it's unbelievably slow. Will a Ford Focus heated windscreen fit? :help:

It's my first DSG/S-Tronic or whatever it is... had the "slip" on cold mornings which is a bit weird. The BMW ZF box in a previous car was better IMO.
Yeah, it's very slow. I don't know why they can't put heated windscreens in Audis when they're available in Skodas?

Doesn't do it all the time and I think only when it is cold. Car does not do many miles so does stand a bit between runs. It is still low miles and yet to have its first DSG oil change so that may make a difference.
Maybe more like 20-30 yards but it does need time to wake up before it bites.

Mine is more of the ecu swapping between trying to heat the cats and particulate filter up and driving correctly, only really there when the weather drops towards freezing

The heater thing I have watched on VCDS (Cyl head temp) it gets to 70c and then activates the water pump (I think it sheilds the pump to prevent it pumping) I then get a rush of warm air and watching the temp on VCDS it plumets down, the colder the ambient the more it plumets and the more 'cycles' it goes through before the head temperature increases past 70c (and water circulation) is normal and so is the heater.

I thought there used to a max demist time 'law' to stop people driving off 'misted up' ?
I guess thats gone out of the window now that emissions are more important

Mine is more of the ecu swapping between trying to heat the cats and particulate filter up and driving correctly, only really there when the weather drops towards freezing

The heater thing I have watched on VCDS (Cyl head temp) it gets to 70c and then activates the water pump (I think it sheilds the pump to prevent it pumping) I then get a rush of warm air and watching the temp on VCDS it plumets down, the colder the ambient the more it plumets and the more 'cycles' it goes through before the head temperature increases past 70c (and water circulation) is normal and so is the heater.

I thought there used to a max demist time 'law' to stop people driving off 'misted up' ?
I guess thats gone out of the window now that emissions are more important

Yup I know and posted about the warm up behaviour a few months back after monitoring it one morning.

I HATE the following

How did you manage that? Coding?