Drove into an Audi :( how much for repair?

mandg

Reaction score
Hi All

Just wondered if you could help advise how much it would be approximately to repair a scratch of a wheel arch on an Audi A4 2002, damage is in picture, I don't think there was any dent. I am 4 months pregnant and now stressing at how much I am going to be out of pocket although admittedly the accident was my fault :(
IMG 0325

Thanks.

Prices will vary depending on location and the business itself.

You'd be better asking a few local body shops to quote as you'll not get an accurate, firm price on here.

No idea on the cost of repair but full respect to owning up and admitting it was your fault. Not many people do that these days.
I hope it goes ok for you and is not too expensive.

For gods sake don't go to a large body repair shop they will want hundreds, try a couple of small one man band bodyshops & i would think £150 tops, cash also helps on the price.

That looks like it can definitely be smart-repaired. I'd guess around 150 tops. Look for a smart repairer near you.

Reactions: Gazwould
Thanks all for your replies. He rang me last night and started off saying he needs a whole new panel so repair would be £750 and seemed to be encouraging me to settle privately, when I said that's way too much It will have to go through insurance he back tracked and said that was if he went to Audi but he could get it for £350 at a local place. I said I will still most likely go through insurance but to leave it with me to which he started warning me about rising premiums etc. Something made me think this guy is dodgy so I checked out his car on the dvla website, turns out his car hasn't been taxed since May 2015!

I then tried to call his bluff and ring him back to tell him I definitely wanted to go through insurance but the number he gave me on the day of the accident doesn't connect and when he rang me it was from 'no caller id'.

I don't know where to go from here really? Does anyone know the implications of his car not being taxed in this situation? Some people have suggested to me I threaten to report his vehicle and see if he backs off?

I would go to the police and ask them to check if it is taxed and insured etc, as sometimes the checks online aren't accurate , If he wasn't taxed its doubtful if he would have insurance and then you can ask the police to get him off the road .get all your info before he gets in touch again .
Get him to go to a local repairer of your choice and get an estimate from them but tell them before hand he is coming and you want the cost given to you and not him .
If he didn't tell you what Audi dealer he went to , ask him and also who he spoke to and say you willl chase it up and phone and see if he is chancing it or not .
Please don't get stressed to much it will get all sorted eventually .

Reactions: DJ_26
From that picture mandg it doesn't look too bad although the only bit that is a bit "worrying" is the mark at the top of the wheel arch but then you say it's not dented so it shouldn't be a difficult repair.

You'd be surprised though at how much it could cost tbh.
The bumper would need spraying probably around 1/3rd of the way round to blow it in properly. If it needs spraying on the wheel arch (which it looks like it will) then it will need blowing in higher up the rear quarter & could need spraying fairly high up (possibly even up to the roof line) with the lacquer in order to do a decent job. Might be easier if it wasn't a black car.

Prices do vary massively so it is always best to get as many quotes as possible and to whenever possible use a bodyshop that either you or someone you trust has had work done there previously so you know they do good work.
I'd say him saying £350 to have the work done locally is completely believable to me although I'd say it could maybe be done a little cheaper.

As you say his car isn't taxed though then this makes me think s*d the guy!. I mean we all pay our hard earned money to run our vehicles and follow all the rules as best we can.
Either go to the Police or ring your insurers possibly.

Whatever you do though try to make sure you don't let it get to you. You need to stay calm and relaxed as much as possibly whilst your pregnant as the most important thing here is you & your unborn child. ;)

If he isn't insured and taxed - i would say do us all a favour and drop the police a line, as it is people like him that cause increased premiums for everybody else.
You could try 101 (Police non-emergency line) for help and see what they say.
The online tools are normally only 24hours out I think.

You could also try the MID database (Insurer) and see if he is actually insured.

Don't get in touch with him again. If he rings again tell him it's either through insurance or its nothing. If he ain't got proper paper work to be driving the car then he'll go with nothing. You've done your bit. He's already trying to play you with extortionate prices.

P. S report his car for not having tax. It'll get towed away and scrapped hopefully. You Win!

Reactions: Alex C and Gazwould